ATI moves XT release up to counter NV40

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
<A HREF="http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=2018" target="_new">Source, from Anandtech. Thats right, not the stupid Inquirer.</A>

What seems highly unusual is the scheduled introduction of Radeon X800 XT on May 31st; only a month after Radeon X800 Pro's unveiling. Recall that Radeon 9800 and 9800 XT were launched six months apart. <b>We can speculate ATI has either changed their marketing strategy, <i>or the difference in performance between R420 and NV40 hastens ATI's release schedule.</b></i>
This could very well be true. ATI themselves would certainly have a better idea in how they are going to measure up to Big Green than we would.
While this is speculation, it is at very least speculation based on more fact than we've been used to lately.

Mingle amongst yourselves wretches. :evil:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
OR ATi hurries up the XT so once the R420 destorys the NV40, XT can come and rule the market

heh heh heh (puts out flame bait)

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Thats not flame bait in this forum.

Thats popular opinion.

Simply put, Anandtech = nV PR machine (why else would they get early NDA releases?)

The 'XT' is supposed to be the R423 (if the statements are correct about not changing the name [X800], which others say is false), the intention was always to bring it out in a shorter time frame after the R420, so if Anand is confusing that then that would be funny.

Move release date up? Well so far they moved release dates back it's about time. A refresh by both already.

I'll give a crap when someone's tells me something about the architecture that I didn't know/expect, all this BS about so and so is moving up/back their release dates because such and such is simply getting retarded now. First ATI dropped their R400 for fear of the NV40, then nV dropped their NV40 for the NV40 revision 2, now one has X pipes, no it doesn't it has X, now another says it this, now it's that.

I will be the first here to say that the NV40 will have 256 pixel pipelines and GQDR-11 ram. Just want to be first, you know, in case it happens, I can say I was on the inside.

This all reminds me of the sites who said the FX5700U was going to spank the R9600XT so bad they would HAVE to respin. I'll admit I bought that from Hexus and Anand's early PR. Surprisingly the FX5700U trails the R9600XT now by a wide margin, what ever happened to that respin? Jeez, sure wish they had done that, now that would've been a killer midrange card, might have even prompted me to trade mine in for it.

The Inquirer may get things wrong from time to time, but one thing I respect is their unwillingness to be anyones pet, unlike certain other 'kept' sites.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Simply put, Anandtech = nV PR machine
LOL

I think someones getting itchy under the collar about this new generation.
I sense some fight in you son.

Now get out there and make ArtX proud :wink:
LOL, teasing. Of course!

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
heh the pressure is certainly on , at the moment until we find out just how fast these new boards will be!

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
This all reminds me of the sites who said the FX5700U was going to spank the R9600XT so bad they would HAVE to respin. I'll admit I bought that from Hexus and Anand's early PR. Surprisingly the FX5700U trails the R9600XT now by a wide margin, what ever happened to that respin? Jeez, sure wish they had done that, now that would've been a killer midrange card, might have even prompted me to trade mine in for it.

eh exactly.. remember that thread i made, where i almost bought a 5700ultra?

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

Yep, and I'm sure GW's glad he didn't stick with it now too, although his R9800++ spanks the heck out of the R9600XT too :evil: .

I thought that nV had pulled the FX5700 from the ashes, but it doesn't appear to be the case.

I really don't care about the PR, once the PCI-EX cards are here, then I'll decide who's best. Right now the idea of PS3.0 support is intruiging, but alot of that will depnd on it's practicality and useability (don't need another set of unuseable PR shaders). IT's a DX10+++ PArt with PS5.0+ and VS 6.0 support; but because of speed issues, everything needs to be run with PS 1.1 shaders to get useable framerates.

We'll see. I trust that once they hit the market and the NDAs expire we'll have more than enough tests to pour over.

It almost a good time to leave the forums and take a break and wait for the PR storms to blow over.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
once the PCI-EX cards are here, then I'll decide who's best.
Why just the PCIX cards?
When 90% of the cards sold this round will be AGP8X?

I'll be able to tell you whos best on April 26th on the X800 release.

cleeve

Illustrious
What's with the "ArtX" comments, Kinney? Is that supposed to be an insult to Ati, or Grape? :wink:

Seriously though. ArtX... Ati... hell you can call them Buttface Inc. if you like.
But the R3xx core roxxors anything Nvidia has released to date, and that is a fact. Written in cold, hard, comercially available silicon, no less.

I wouldn't jump on the "NV40 rulez" bandwagon until the results are in, lest history repeats itself. Sure, it might beat the r420, and more power to it if it does... but there's not need to champion hardware that no-one has seen, objectively tested, and compared.

If the r420 smokes the NV40, you're going to have an awful lot of fanboy posts under your belt. Why stick your neck out?

History will declare the winner. No need for any of us hacks to do it just yet.

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
I'll be able to tell you whos best on April 26th on the X800 release.

i dont know about that man.. remember when the first GFFX was released...

it took a good month or two for all the quirks and bugs and benchmarking to be done. it PRObably wont take as long this time, because we wont have issues like the 3DMark03 cheating to argue about (that took a good long while , as the review sites had to investigate)

really tho you shouldnt jump to conclusions. just because one or two sites may get the card early and release a review that says it kicks total ass, it doesnt by any means ndicate that its the truth.. look at the CPU review sites, some say that AMD kicks Intel to kingdom come, while others are the opposite..

im not dismissing the fact that nVidia may kick ATI's arse, because now they have more of a chance to than ever before (and i kinda want them to because , do you realize the SH1T it would stir up on the various video card forums like here, and B3D, and Rage3d, and Nvnews? HAH man everyone will be going insane if nvidia comes out on top)

-------

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
Yep, and I'm sure GW's glad he didn't stick with it now too
I gave it a shot, it just couldnt handle my abuse :wink:

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I'm just jokin around..
man peoples sense of humor dies when the jokes on ATI around here.
How could that possibly be an insult towards an individual?
Unless someone was looking for ulterior intentions, and you arent going to find any of those here suckaz.
I like everyone in these forums other than that P4 fellow.

Its clearly meant for ATI themselves.

If the r420 smokes the NV40, you're going to have an awful lot of fanboy posts under your belt. Why stick your neck out?

I'm not saying anything that isnt based in fact, or speculation created by other sites.
Do I think NV40 is going to be a repeat of the NV30?
No.

I dont think anything I've said is much more far out than things like about how ATI will defeat NV in IQ again no matter the FPS.. and other unfounded speculation on unreleased product.

I see some people setting themselves up to default to ATI even if NV ownz their punk arses.

I've stated before that if this is another NV30, I'm switching teams.
But it'd be hard to repeat that one...

it was an utter disaster and I dont see that happening again... I just dont know if NV would let that happen.

But- I will be very interested to hear the excuses for ATI if NV DOES rule.
I'm hoping NV pulls this one off, but I am most eager to hear the ATI apologists excuses that we will undoubtably hear from this ATI fanboy forum.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Well, generally by both of their release and final release benchmarks we will know.

Things might improve ect. but no 50% improvements or boat sinking fixes.
It could and prob has happened but not very likely.

Thats why I state the release of the X800 to be Judgement Day for ATI.
Better dead than red!

It would be more than a stir of things around here if NV comes out on top.

I really do suspect that most will become ATI apologists and create excuses for being the losers like NV IQ issues or whatever fits their need to make their point due to the bias for the moment.

cleeve

Illustrious
Me, I'll be interested in seeing what happens if one card wins the raw speed race by a large margin, but the other has far superior visual quality.

It depends what these guys have been doing to optimize their AA/AF algorythms.

That'd be a tough one to call. Then we won't have a winner-loser scenario, we'll have a win-win or lose-lose depending how you look at it. And all the fanboys would have justification to stay on their camp's side.

But really, which of us would refuse either an NV40 or R420 at this point? It's a safe bet that either will be better than the best that's out there now.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I've always gone speed like most people.

I used 3dfx and then NV for the most part of my post 1997 computing career.

With speed comes better IQ than some slight advantage in filtering.
You get better looking models, more effects and more onscreen at once as well as better, larger more developed environments.

At least that has always been my philosophy for years and years, since my original home- Anandtech posting days.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
I've always gone speed like most people. With speed comes better IQ than some slight advantage in filtering.
You get better looking models, more effects and more onscreen at once as well as better, larger more developed environments.

Umm.. this directly contradicts the situation he was posing.
Asswipe!
Assume that only at a lower IQ one is faster, and at equal iq (effects, amount onscreen ETC.!) the OTHER is then faster.
Logic is a very valuable thing kinney.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Do you even know what I was replying to?
I dont think so.

I wasnt arguing anything, asswipe.
I was stating what has driven my GPU buying decision over the years.

Take your snide retorts with added personal insults elsewhere because I'm not replying to you again.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
i think you're full of garbage

*puts out flame bait again*

i think he's gonna respond to that violently.... excellent :D

120% nVidia Fanboy

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Heh.
No I know you too well.
I aint budgin!

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
ARG!!! I COMMAND TO FLAME ME!!! I WANT POST COUNTS!!

Kinney is a fanatic
Kinney is a fanatic
Kinney is a fanatic!!

120% nVidia Fanboy

cleeve

Illustrious
Just to clarify, the scenario I posed wasn't a "slight filtering advantage", but a clear image quality advantage.

i.e. When using AA and AF, one card gives 80 FPS in Doom3, and the other gives 70 FPS but looks obviously better.

That's the scenario I'm talking about. In such a case, either camp will claim victory... it blurs the lines a bit.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Unbeknownst to WS, I wasnt referring to your scenario at all.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I
am
a
fanatic!

WHAT???

YOU are a fanATIc! :tongue: