Dimension Case: Front Cover

Hello folks,

After the latest opening of my DimensionXPSR case the mechanism that's
used to power up the machine somehow got damaged and now every once in
a while the power button won't work and I have to open the case and set
it in place in order to work. Can I buy a front cover for my old and
trusty dell or anyone has any different solutions?

Thanks a bunch

Jim
9 answers Last reply
More about dimension case front cover

    You should be able to get a switch at Radio Shack to do that. You want
    one that only makes contact as long as you push the button. Get a BIG
    RED one!!

    Tom J

    "jim_tehma" <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > After the latest opening of my DimensionXPSR case the mechanism
    > that's
    > used to power up the machine somehow got damaged and now every once
    > in
    > a while the power button won't work and I have to open the case and
    > set
    > it in place in order to work. Can I buy a front cover for my old and
    > trusty dell or anyone has any different solutions?
    >
    > Thanks a bunch
    >
    > Jim

    Will the power switch from Radio Shack work or is it proprietary?
    Dimension XPSR. Thanks.

    Jim

    Remove the front cover and examine what is underneath. If the on-off push
    button switch and LEDs are integrated onto a tiny circuit board, this setup
    would surely qualify as proprietary and Radio Shack would not do.

    Let me know the exact model of Dimension XPS and I'll see if there is a matching
    replacement switch on a chassis in my warehouse. Some of the Dells there are a
    little old and getting hard to sell. Time to strip off useful parts to sell
    off. Same thing if the front panel itself is what is damaged. If you can
    identify the Dell part numbers for either, that will help, too. But the
    Dimension XPSR model is really the key... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:57:00 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben
    Myers) wrote:

    >Some of the Dells there are a
    >little old and getting hard to sell.

    any good deals? do you have a URL?

    Um, do you want a 200MHz Pentium XPS system? I think that the fastest Dell I
    have in my warehouse is a 550MHz Optiplex tower... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 03:17:19 GMT, none@no.com (Al) wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:57:00 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben
    >Myers) wrote:
    >
    >>Some of the Dells there are a
    >>little old and getting hard to sell.
    >
    >any good deals? do you have a URL?

    Seems the on-off button isn't integrated into a circuit board.
    It's part of the front cover. Here's a picture of the front cover
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkhan/rr2.htm
    the on-off button is the top button among the 3 buttons in the center
    of the bezel.

    The LED in the on-off button is part of the case on the "inside wall"
    of the bezel.
    Here's a picture of the "inside wall"
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkhan/rr7.htm

    There's a piece of plastic like a stick in the back of the on-off
    button
    So when you push the button, the stick moves, hits a part of the
    "inside wall"
    And the power turns on.

    The machine is a Dell Dimension XPS R
    Docs: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkhan/
    It came with a 400MHz CPU which I upgraded to 1GHz 3 years ago
    The motherboard is the original; an Intel 440BX something
    The case is the original.

    Dell part number? I'm afraid I don't know how to identify that.
    If you need it tell me how I can find it.

    Thanks

    Jim

    So if I understand correctly, the button attached to the big front cover is what
    is broken? If so, I'm pretty sure you would need to replace the entire cover,
    because the button is really part of the cover, or, at minimum, cannot be easily
    removed and/or attached... Ben Myers

    On 16 Feb 2005 18:08:20 -0800, "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)"
    <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Seems the on-off button isn't integrated into a circuit board.
    >It's part of the front cover. Here's a picture of the front cover
    >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkhan/rr2.htm
    >the on-off button is the top button among the 3 buttons in the center
    >of the bezel.
    >
    >The LED in the on-off button is part of the case on the "inside wall"
    >of the bezel.
    >Here's a picture of the "inside wall"
    >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkhan/rr7.htm
    >
    >There's a piece of plastic like a stick in the back of the on-off
    >button
    >So when you push the button, the stick moves, hits a part of the
    >"inside wall"
    >And the power turns on.
    >
    >The machine is a Dell Dimension XPS R
    >Docs: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkhan/
    >It came with a 400MHz CPU which I upgraded to 1GHz 3 years ago
    >The motherboard is the original; an Intel 440BX something
    >The case is the original.
    >
    >Dell part number? I'm afraid I don't know how to identify that.
    >If you need it tell me how I can find it.
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >Jim

    I don't think the button is broken.
    On the inside of the button there was something
    (maybe a spring)
    and whenever I was pressing the on-off button,
    the button would come back out on his usual position.
    Now the button doesn't came back. It stays on the inside.

    A new cover would certaily solve the problem.
    Do you know where can I get one though?
    I tried searching on Dell Parts but I didn't find anything.

    Thanks

    Ben Myers wrote:
    > So if I understand correctly, the button attached to the big front
    cover is what
    > is broken? If so, I'm pretty sure you would need to replace the
    entire cover,
    > because the button is really part of the cover, or, at minimum,
    cannot be easily
    > removed and/or attached... Ben Myers
    >
    > On 16 Feb 2005 18:08:20 -0800, "jim_tehma (e-mail isn't checked)"
    > <jimtehma@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Seems the on-off button isn't integrated into a circuit board.
    > >It's part of the front cover. Here's a picture of the front cover
    > >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkhan/rr2.htm
    > >the on-off button is the top button among the 3 buttons in the
    center
    > >of the bezel.
    > >
    > >The LED in the on-off button is part of the case on the "inside
    wall"
    > >of the bezel.
    > >Here's a picture of the "inside wall"
    > >http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkhan/rr7.htm
    > >
    > >There's a piece of plastic like a stick in the back of the on-off
    > >button
    > >So when you push the button, the stick moves, hits a part of the
    > >"inside wall"
    > >And the power turns on.
    > >
    > >The machine is a Dell Dimension XPS R
    > >Docs: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dkhan/
    > >It came with a 400MHz CPU which I upgraded to 1GHz 3 years ago
    > >The motherboard is the original; an Intel 440BX something
    > >The case is the original.
    > >
    > >Dell part number? I'm afraid I don't know how to identify that.
    > >If you need it tell me how I can find it.
    > >
    > >Thanks
    > >
    > >Jim

    I think I found the Part Number.
    I opened the case and I was looking on on the cover and I saw: P/N
    9100C
    This must be it yes?
    Does it tell you anything?

    Thanks Jim