FXs still having troubles with IQ in FarCry

Even after the nV-specific patch and the newer drivers FXs still having Image Quality issues in FarCry.

<A HREF="http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA0LDM=" target="_new">http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjA0LDM=</A>

The FX5900XT still lagging behind the R9600XT as well.

Just an update to the old thread;

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=391744#391744" target="_new">Previous FarCry thread/post</A>

And to answer another question from the Patch thread, no CoolS, the FX's are still running partial-precision on this one the patch didn't fix that.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Meh...

The Nvidia's latest drivers seems to make my card run 3C hotter during idle. My overclocking stable maximum has dropped also.

-AMD Athlon64 3200+@2300mhz -GAK8N -3x512 Hynix PC3200 ram@192mhz 2.5-3-3-7 -Albatron 5900PV @ 560/1000 -SB Audigy -Adaptec 1210SA Raid -2x120G Seagate SATA150 7200.7 Raid0 -Enermax 460watt psu

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
from what Hardocp has to say it seems that altho they fixed the problem with nV using PS2.0, its using a reduced precision... color banding and dulling of light reflections and whatnot..

9600pro doenst have the same frame rate, but its image quality is better. hmmm quite interesting, it seems that no matter what drivers are released nV just cant get their PS performance up to speed, it has to be on the hardware level as we have all known for probably a year now

perhaps the NV40 addresses this

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

Funny how the FX5900XT (a slightly OC'd one at that) still turns in lower results (min/avg/max) in FarCRy at the same settings. So I'd say that's a 100% win in that case. Better IQ and better frames sounds good to me (considering mine will overclock well beyond that level :evil: .

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

dhlucke

Polypheme
Man I hate the FX series. I don't know anyone in real life that has one though so my only aggravation is on here with those suckers that bought one.

SPEND YOUR MONEY WISELY PEOPLE!

<font color=red>___________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=39826#39826" target="_new">Sexual Poll!</A></b>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Sorry to bust up the NV bashing party but this post is spreading unnecessary FUD.
You're misinformed, or not presenting the whole story.

The drivers used in that test are the 56.64s.

The "newer NV drivers" that were released to fix Far Cry issues are not the 56.64s but the 56.72s released on April 1st.

Between the Far Cry patch and the latest NV drivers the issues are cleared up.
This article only uses the latest Far Cry patch, not the 56.72s.

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
Eat a penis.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
I present the truth and now I'm supposed to "eat a penis" for that?

lol

I dont know how to better to reveal bias than simply tell the truth in this forum and watch the insults roll in.

Basically, if you dont do your research or dont know what your talking about then you shouldnt be posting stuff like this.

Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 04/07/04 06:00 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Those in the dark prefer to stay in the dark and not have the light of truth showing their ignorance.

I'm plenty happy with my 5900XT's performaance in Farcry on very high settings personally.

<font color=blue>_______________________________</font color=blue>
Canada
Asus A7N8X-X, Athelon XP 2500+ Barton,
Samsung 1gb DDR400, MSI GeforceFX5900 XT.
Aquamark=<b>36077</b> 3DMark03=<b>5322</b>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
You too can eat the aforementioned appendage.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
The FX series isn't really that bad, since the retail price in vancouver of FX5900 is much cheaper than 9800pro. Almost 100 dollars difference, between an Aopen/EVGA 5900, and a 9800pro. If you ask me the 9800pro is not worth the extra hundred bucks.

-AMD Athlon64 3200+@2300mhz -GAK8N -3x512 Hynix PC3200 ram@192mhz 2.5-3-3-7 -Albatron 5900PV @ 560/1000 -SB Audigy -Adaptec 1210SA Raid -2x120G Seagate SATA150 7200.7 Raid0 -Enermax 460watt psu

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Hes an idiot.
And if hes not, hes acting like one.

Enjoy your smooth, IQ issue-free Far Cry experience on your 5900XT! :tongue:

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
You're so full of sh*t, you can handle very high maybe at 480/320 res.

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
DOH!

okay the FXs still suck period.

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Actually Very High at 1024x768. If you wish to comfort yourself by insisting it isn't what it is then by all means. But that dosn't change the fact that I play on those settings with the aformentioned card and it plays very smooth. I don't have AA or AF on but I didn't see the point since unlike most games Farcry hardly looks any different with those things on or off. I'm using the 53 forceware drivers with everything on my system at stock speeds if your interested in knowing.

Canada

Simply put kinney, once again you gloss over and don't read. Gets you into all sorts of situations where YOU make mistakes.

First , the story is whole, it's the folow up to the previous post, which was also attached.

My statements were accurate. I chose my words carefully to reflect what I was saying (I think my familiarity with the language allows me that freedom), and not twist the facts.

The drivers used in that test are the 56.64s.
Yes, and that's why I used the word "newer", NOT newest, latest, most recent, current release, etc which would have been the 56.72 drivers, as you point out, which have been posted on many sites like nVNews, B3D and EB for quite some time. What you are talking about is 'newer still' drivers, which I doubt will change the situation much, despite your blind faith.

The "newer NV drivers" that were released to fix Far Cry issues are not the 56.64s but the 56.72s released on April 1st.
Fools day no less. How ironic.
First I didn't say that the 56.64 drivers WOULD, I said that the issues remain despite newer drivers, and the FX-centric patch, since last time, everyone including those at [H] held out hope that this would be fixed in the next drivers. And nV did address a fix for FarCry in those drivers (<A HREF="http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/56.72/ForceWare_Release_55_Graphics_Drivers_Release_Notes_v56.72.pdf" target="_new">from nV's release notes</A>), just not the ones in this review;

<font color=blue>GeForce FX 5700,Windows XP: Various textures in Far Cry are not
rendering at 640x480.</font color=blue>

And while you profess otherwise, the 56.72 drivers didn't address the latest issues EITHER, no no, they addressed the LAST review's issues.

<font color=blue>• GeForce FX 5200/FX5900/FX5950 Ultra, Windows XP: Far Cry (Patch
3) water is rendered incorrectly.
• GeForce FX 5950 Ultra,Windows XP: Fogging effect is not applied to
distant trees in the game Far Cry.
</font color=blue>

These don't address the issues in THIS current review, just the last review. And BOTH have fixes for FarCry (Man nV has alot of troubles for a TWIMTBP game).

Between the Far Cry patch and the latest NV drivers the issues are cleared up.
Now who's telling porky pies?

The FAR CRY PATCH was used in this review to no avail so that's not a good excuse anymore. As for the 56.72s, see above, already covered, but only adddresses OLDER issues not even covered in THIS review, no water or tree fog issues in THIS review that was the previous one.
In any case that's 2 drivers releases later to fix what the Radeons did well from the start, and from what I've seen of the release notes, the latest drivers WON'T be fixing the most recent issues, and no more mention of performance increases. So since you have no reviews to prove otherwise, I'll remain skeptical that even those will do anything to fix the issues pointed out by [H].

Perhaps you should follow your own advice and <i>" if you dont do your research or dont know what your talking about then you shouldnt be posting stuff like this."</i>

Regardless of your opinions about ME being misinformed, what I wrote is accurate and correct, and is also backed up by something more than just conjecture and wishful thinking that supports your contentions.

At the very least take the care to make sure what you are writing meshes with the facts and doesn't expose you as a hypocrite.

You talk about Speed over IQ, well in this case the FX5900XT has neither crown, so either that was a hollow statement or your bias is showing again. Try to keep it just below the surface, more manageable that way. Like This;

The FX5900XT SUX! The R9600XT ROX! See wasn't that easy? :tongue:

The FXs don't suck period, but let's not fool ourselves that in anyway anythingis 'fixed'.

I said the forceware drivers would be slow to bring speed to newer pixel shader intensive games when compared to the Radeon, and likely would require alot of work with the run-time compiler to bring anywhere near parity. I didn't know that included the The Way It's Meant To Be Played games that nV's supposed to be supporting and optimizing all along.

The FX5900XT is no longer the deal it was a while back.

Most importantly this is simply a follow up on the last thread to say, nope the drivers didn't make them equals. And despite what some people think, I bet that if [H] does another review in a momnth's time the piucture (quality especially) will be no different in that respect.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
How come its ownage whenever someone pumps up ATI and skools me and I am insulted by people (like WS) when I present information that people are either not telling, or unaware of?

I believe its quite telling.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
While you bring up some good points, you still were pretty subversive in your post.

Honestly, I HATE lawyerisms, especially when it starts creeping into everyday life like this.. "newer", not "new" drivers.. give me a break dude.
At very least if your going to give yourself a trap door out like that, then TELL PEOPLE THERE ARE "NEWER" DRIVERS AVAILABLE!
Unless you were ignorant about that, and if you missed that driver release, then why are you posting on current NV issues?

And nV did address a fix for FarCry in those drivers (from nV's release notes), just not the ones in this review;

Ask Vimp if the issues are cleared up.

(Man nV has alot of troubles for a TWIMTBP game).

Do you really hate NV that much for such snide retorts?
Thats lame.

In any case that's 2 drivers releases later to fix what the Radeons did well from the start, and from what I've seen of the release notes, the latest drivers WON'T be fixing the most recent issues, and no more mention of performance increases. So since you have no reviews to prove otherwise, I'll remain skeptical that even those will do anything to fix the issues pointed out by [H].

WHAT? ATI never had any problems in Far Cry? Where have you been?
My god, some people.
Whatever dude.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Actually Very High at 1024x768. If you wish to comfort yourself by insisting it isn't what it is then by all means. But that dosn't change the fact that I play on those settings with the aformentioned card and it plays very smooth. I don't have AA or AF on but I didn't see the point since unlike most games Farcry hardly looks any different with those things on or off. I'm using the 53 forceware drivers with everything on my system at stock speeds if your interested in knowing.

I believe you.
Farcry path info as follows

- Improved shader speed (up to two times faster) for NVidia Geforce FX cards on very high settings
- Fixed fog bug with NVidia drivers
- Added support for NVidia NV40 chipset
- Fixed realtime shadows from blended trees
- Made improvements to lighting shaders on very high settings
- Fixed bug with lake reflections
- Added support fro PS3.0 shader profile

Zing!

Honestly, I HATE lawyerisms
Seriously, I was simply being specific, I knew there were new ones, but even I held back my conclusions on the LAST review in anticipation of the ANNOUNCED fixes in UT2K4 and FarCry of the 56.64s. I was simply stating the facts. Not being subversive, and not misleading, simply being factual, and acutally blunt. Remember this is all related to the LAST review, which is why I included it in the body of the first post. No trap door, no nothing, pure and simple, the FIX is in the PAtch, but the issues in THIS thread are not addressed by the latest drivers, and even <b>newer drivers</b> and that patch couldn't fix the IQ enough to bring it to parity. Is it better? Yes! Is it Equal? No no!

And this isn't about the latest drivers, because no one, not even FiringSquad has looked at those in detail yet. So pointing that ut is irrelevant.

All this talk about potential differences in the NV40/R420 'etherware' is fanciful notions. The above is plain hard fact. Nothing else needs to be said, because you have no evidence that anything WILL change with the latest drivers, however like I said, very clearly, with newer drivers and the patch, still not good enough, PERIOD!

Ask Vimp if the issues are cleared up.
While I like and respect Vimp, he's not [H] and can't provide screenies for everyone to decide on their own. I respect his opinion on it, but that's all it will be because he can't do the performance test to prove the other part of this equation.

Do you really hate NV that much for such snide retorts?
No, but if you want to push me, I'll push right back, and with something that carries more weight than another potential fix excise. TWIMTBP is something that makes MANY of us sick, same with anything similar by anyone else. So considering that this is one of those titles, then the idea of them being released WITH the optimized run-time compiler already up to speed, is false, and this is a perfect example of what I predicted months ago would and now did happen. I kill two birds with one stone with that one concept.

Thats lame.
That's Life, and no lamer than 50+% of the stuff you post on here that is pro nV, at least mine's based in fact.The promiss of more from future drivers is simply nV PR. Just like the PR from their 56.64 driver release.

WHAT? ATI never had any problems in Far Cry? Where have you been?
No I didn't say that, but the IQ has always been good from the start. The AA on the DEMO had problems granted, and some other minor problems with the actual game (nothing nearing the nV issues), but remember that nV has had the game from the start, and had FAR more problems, and the IQ is still lower.

Dismiss your own standards for performance all you want, but the promise of fixes is as empty as my saying that the new Cat 4.4 drivers will maintain the lead, and extend it. Proof? Well the same as yours of course, empty notions.

So say whatever, but you're turning your back on your own precepts to simply try and put a good face on this.

Farcry path info as follows
And like I said, that's the <i>patch</i> not the drivers.

Which I myself posted here.

Take note that all the supposed fixes in the 56.72 drivers can be found in that list from the patch. So which one is really fixing the bugs? The Patch or the drivers?

But no proof of course.

Was that 'Zing!' supposed to be the 'un'-lame part?

I guess an appropriate reply would be.... um...

Shazam!

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Theres a point in every arguement where the ones involved need to conceed that their being either to literal or to picky and thusly making something out of nothing. I'll let you two both apply that as you see fit.

As far as what incite I maybe able to shed on my experience with my hardware and Farcry, I'll just say this... The blocking and banding shown in some pictures in the review I have yet to see or notice in the slightest in either of the two demos. However niether demo makes use of the patch for the game anyways, inless of course theres a demo patch that I'm unaware of. If I ever do buy the game though, I'll be sure to make mention of anything I notice on the issues mentioned here if its still of any interest at the time.

Can anyone tell me roughly how long the game is? How many levels, Maps? I'd be more inclined to spend money on it if I knew I'd have lots of playtime with it. I have to choose my purchases wisely if I want to get the most gaming out of my little bit of money.

Canada

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Both the drivers and the patch resolve Farcry issues.
Was that 'Zing!' supposed to be the 'un'-lame part?

I guess an appropriate reply would be.... um...

Shazam!

ROFL!!!

BURN!

PS. Burn=zing=ouch=gotcha! type of responses.. at least in my part of the USA