DVD-rw drive can't read any disc.

April 18, 2005 11:50:02 PM

My computer is just over a week old. A Sony Vaio PCV-RS710G. It has stock
Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 108 and Samsung DVD-ROM. From last Mon-Fri the Pioneer
drive could read and access every audio and data disc I inserted. On Sat I
tried to make a copy of a disc using the stock program, SOnic REcord Now.
The drive ejected the disc without making the copy. Now the pioneer drive
will not recognize any disc inserted. It only clicks and spins for 30-40
seconds, then spins down. Windows XP staes the drive is working properly.
There are no conflicts in the Device Manager. I've updated the driver,
deleted and reinstalled the driver,deleted and reinstalled sonic now. I can
take the disc out of the pioneer drive and immediatly insert it in the
Samsung and the disc can be accessed within 5 seconds. The drive has power
and Windows can recognize the drive. Only the Drive can't recognize any
disc. I have SP2 installed but, it's not listed in the add/remove programs
list. I've spent over an hour with Sony trying to remedy the problem, their
answer was a complete system restore, which is a last case option.

More about : dvd drive read disc

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 1:54:52 AM

james cohburn wrote:
> My computer is just over a week old. A Sony Vaio PCV-RS710G. It has
> stock Pioneer DVD-RW DVR 108 and Samsung DVD-ROM. From last Mon-Fri
> the Pioneer drive could read and access every audio and data disc I
> inserted. On Sat I tried to make a copy of a disc using the stock
> program, SOnic REcord Now. The drive ejected the disc without making
> the copy. Now the pioneer drive will not recognize any disc
> inserted. It only clicks and spins for 30-40 seconds, then spins
> down. Windows XP staes the drive is working properly. There are no
> conflicts in the Device Manager. I've updated the driver, deleted and
> reinstalled the driver,deleted and reinstalled sonic now. I can take
> the disc out of the pioneer drive and immediatly insert it in the
> Samsung and the disc can be accessed within 5 seconds. The drive has
> power and Windows can recognize the drive. Only the Drive can't
> recognize any disc. I have SP2 installed but, it's not listed in the
> add/remove programs list. I've spent over an hour with Sony trying
> to remedy the problem, their answer was a complete system restore,
> which is a last case option.

Have you called Sony?

--
<- Shenan ->
April 19, 2005 8:06:37 PM

The Pioneer optical drive is broken. You need it replaced.

Brian

!