Changing license

Hoping to avoid a complete reinstall of several workstations (XP Pro).

"Company A" is dropping a division of the company. "Company B" is absorbing
this division to include all workstations.
Company A understandably wants to keep all XP licenses that they purchased,
I believe these to be Corporate version licenses (not confirmed yet).
Company B is purchasing retail XP Pro licenses for these workstations. KB
Article 328874 provides instructions for changing a "leaked" volume license
to a legitimate volume license. Would this same procedure work in this
situation (volume license to retail)?

Thanks much.
2 answers Last reply
More about changing license

    No, that procedure only works if the versions are the same.
    A Repair Installation also called an In Place Upgrade is required to change
    the Product Key for dissimilar versions:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/repaxp.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "HappilyClueless" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
    > Hoping to avoid a complete reinstall of several workstations (XP Pro).
    >
    > "Company A" is dropping a division of the company. "Company B" is
    > absorbing this division to include all workstations.
    > Company A understandably wants to keep all XP licenses that they
    > purchased, I believe these to be Corporate version licenses (not confirmed
    > yet).
    > Company B is purchasing retail XP Pro licenses for these workstations. KB
    > Article 328874 provides instructions for changing a "leaked" volume
    > license to a legitimate volume license. Would this same procedure work in
    > this situation (volume license to retail)?
    >
    > Thanks much.

    P.S. There is no "Corp" edition, you either have OEM, Retail or Volume
    Licenses.

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    "HappilyClueless" <noone@home.com> wrote in message
    > Hoping to avoid a complete reinstall of several workstations (XP Pro).
    >
    > "Company A" is dropping a division of the company. "Company B" is
    > absorbing this division to include all workstations.
    > Company A understandably wants to keep all XP licenses that they
    > purchased, I believe these to be Corporate version licenses (not confirmed
    > yet).
    > Company B is purchasing retail XP Pro licenses for these workstations. KB
    > Article 328874 provides instructions for changing a "leaked" volume
    > license to a legitimate volume license. Would this same procedure work in
    > this situation (volume license to retail)?
    >
    > Thanks much.

Workstations License Windows XP