Sign in with
Your question

Just got Windows 8...

Last response: in Windows 8
August 18, 2012 2:29:45 AM

So I go to Community College, and "Windows 8 Release Preview w/ Apps (64-bit)" hit Dreamspark (Formerly MSDNAA) yesterday, so I downloaded it, gonna play with it on the weekend.

I already read (and saved) the article on Tom's about bypassing the "Metro Style" UI and bringing back the startbar (kinda), but has anyone got any recommendations/things too stay away from in it?

Thanks

More about : windows

August 18, 2012 2:35:39 AM

Yes, uninstall it and stay with win 7
m
l
a b * Windows 8
August 18, 2012 2:55:48 AM

Don't bother trying to bring back the old Start menu. Microsoft has already said they are actively trying to break the apps that do this. Try actually using it natively for awhile. You might find you actually like it. I did. It's definitely a major visual change, but after about 20 minutes, I got used to it.
m
l
Related resources
a b * Windows 8
August 18, 2012 3:14:29 AM

it's going to be a shock........... like going from XP to Vista was......... did i say shock......... think I meant nightmare....
m
l
a b * Windows 8
August 18, 2012 7:19:55 AM

schnitter said:
Yes, uninstall it and stay with win 7

This is pretty much the only way to bypass the Metro UI.
m
l
August 18, 2012 9:06:03 AM

Windows 8 is absolutely great....

as an example of just how much Microsoft have ignored their customers and forced a disaster of an Operating System onto the unsuspecting public. The rest of us are skipping it in the hope that Microsoft will learn the error of their ways and give us what we actually want with Windows 9, the Start Menu back and a GUI that makes sense on a desktop.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
August 18, 2012 4:23:35 PM

oxford........ microsoft is looking at blocking people from customizing....... keep a close eye on what updates you're downloading. ( even disable auto updater )
m
l
September 8, 2012 9:51:45 PM

I hate how it throws everything onto the desktop if you don't use metro. I like searching and navigating. 8 is too easy, and too annoying.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 8, 2012 10:09:22 PM

8 is too easy? Isn't that the point? Make it easier for all of the non-technical users to use the OS and get done whatever they want to do?

There's just no pleasing some people...
m
l
September 19, 2012 3:38:23 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Don't bother trying to bring back the old Start menu. Microsoft has already said they are actively trying to break the apps that do this. Try actually using it natively for awhile. You might find you actually like it. I did. It's definitely a major visual change, but after about 20 minutes, I got used to it.

Start8 works in the RTM (at least at the moment). I hope they don't lock that out - with the way they hid things in metro, that will guarantee that I won't upgrade to Windows 8.
m
l
September 19, 2012 3:40:30 AM

The_Prophecy said:
8 is too easy? Isn't that the point? Make it easier for all of the non-technical users to use the OS and get done whatever they want to do?

There's just no pleasing some people...

How is it easy? It hides things for no reason (hot corners, shutdown, etc), and throws you into the metro UI by default whenever you open certain file types (music, videos, pictures, PDFs). Plus, there are two task switchers - desktop and metro. Who thought that was a good idea?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
September 19, 2012 4:23:48 AM

Read the previous comments for some context first. I was responding to the previous post there. montosaurous said that Windows 8 was too easy, whereas a lot of the negative comments usually say it's confusing and too difficult to use. I was simply questioning why he went in the opposite direction.
m
l
Related resources
!