Mind_Rebuilding

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2004
From X-Bit Labs

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20040408100025.html

"Sources familiar with the company¡¦s roadmap revealed Thursday, the 8th of April, that the 420/R423 graphics processors will have 16 rendering pipelines, significantly more compared to the previously released information about 8 or 12 pipes. Apparently, the company¡¦s future chips have the same capability of enabling and disabling pixel pipelines like the predecessors ¡V the R300 and R350/R360 chips ¡V which were capable of working either with 4 or 8 rendering pipelines. Initially the company believed that 8 pixel conveyers would be enough to stay competitive against the rivaling NVIDIA NV40 chip, however, at this point ATI wants to expose all capabilities of the RADEON X800-series chips to fight with the competitor."

With more effective shaders avaliable, I think R420 will hammer NV40.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
With more effective shaders avaliable, I think R420 will hammer NV40.
Maybe, maybe not! In the coming days/weeks we will starts to see a paper war between ATI/nVidia. These paper war really help building HYPE for new products. And it's working! We are talking about these products. Until we see benchmarks results for both new GPU, we willl not know how they will perform.

I wish this generation will give a good boost, nut I'm quite conservative and I would be very surprised to see 100% improvment over current TOP GPU. And I can't wait to see screeshot and IQ comparison between these new core. As we know, nVidia really need a boost in IQ for their next generation GPU. Because, if can't match ATI IQ, I will not consider nVidia cards... But, if they are twice as fast, I might change my mind, but I doubt there will be a huge difference between ATI/nVidia cards. Will see!

--
Would you buy a potato powered chipset?

$CR3W <font color=red>ATI</font color=red> and <font color=green>nV</font color=green>!

<b>XGI RULZ!</b>

It'll have 16x2x1 Pipelines! :evil:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
WOOT!! LONG LIVE XGI!!!!!

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy
never tried to go crazy when it comes to o/cing.
THGC's resident Asian and Graphics Forum's resident nVboy :D

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
LONG LIVE YOUR MOM!!!!!!!!!1111

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
TheROD, I think you're off on this one. ATI says 2-3x 9700 pro performance (I believe that is the card they compared it to?), and that was using the planned 12 pipes.

Now the perf. increase will be different in different areas, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see a two-fold increase in some situations. The most interesting thing will be AA/AF to me. 1600x1200 6x(or 8!?)AA, 16x qual. aniso UT2k4........ dr00lz.

Me: are you saying I can't provide?
Me: cause I know I can provide.
Me: oh and I can provide money too;)
Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
OMG

i never thought of that...

with all this talk of PS3.0, everyones forgotten about AA/AF performance

wow, 6xAA @ 1600x1200.... and theres already no problem for ATI cards running at max AF ;)

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
A looooong time ago (3 yrs maybe), when I used to imagine the future of gaming, I always thought about "RESOLUTION"! Playing HL, I was like, "hmm.. when games get better and more realistic, they'll have to up the res. too. I wonder when they'll stop? They'll probly have like 36,000 pixels (horiz.) some day! That'll look just about perfect!"

But I was just a dumb HL fan back then. (Still an HL fan:))

I think 1600x1200 8xAA is the end. If you have a better monitor, sure, 2048 all the way. But now games (and the things that power them) need to advance in other areas. 1600x1200 6x/8xAA IMO could produce a perfectly life-like image, with no noticable aliasing on a 19", and 2048x1536 on a 21/22".

Anyways, just went off on a tangent there:)

Rachel:): why do we need money when we can just stay in our room and have sex all day?

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
dude even 1280 with 4xAA/16xAF is better picture quality then youd ever get on a television

id kill to be able to run games like that.. perhaps my 9500pro will be able to, if i keep the AF down

-------

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
An OC'd 9500 Pro should run ut2k4 @ 1024x768 2xAA 8x perf. aniso. Sorry, but except some indoor levels, you won't do better than that. Acceptable to me is 40+ FPS, 30 absolute minimum. I run at 1024x768 max details 6xAA 16x qual aniso just cause I can most of the time. But if the situation calls for it, I drop it to 4x AA and 8x perf AF, which is almost as good.

pauldh

Illustrious
I wonder if 12 pipelines was a strategic leak as the inquirer suggested, and if 16 was the plan all along. They also state we may see X800 well before GF 6800.

<A HREF="http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15248" target="_new">http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=15248</A>

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

pauldh

Illustrious
HardOCP news. (no link this time,because this was it in full)

"ATI Pipelines:
Rumors are flying, but here is a bit of fact for you. ATI's next-gen part, codenamed "R420," will in fact be a full 16 pipeline VPU. You can take that to the bank, put it in your pipe and smoke it, or do whatever you want to do with it."

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Don't smoke silly-cone, smoke weed! Work better with pipes! :evil:

MMM, just had two C-gars tonight (1 Romeo Y Julieta, one Bolivar) with my libations. MMMmmm! :eek:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

hogfather

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
Sweet. Interesting point was made - if the R420 was 'behind - but not by much' in the 3dmark03 tests, was that with the 12 pipes, or 16? Cos if they kept up the pretense of 12 in the test, and were close.....nvidia are gonna be crying. If not.....its down to the drivers!

XP2000, 512 ddr 2700ram, GF4 MX440, XP Pro

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
40 minimum is barely cutting it

well. im way more concerned about AF, than AA. blurry textures are just too 1998 for me.. sinse ive had ATI cards in the past and hvae seen what high levels of AF can do

so, 16xAF @ 1280 shouldnt kill my frames much

-------

Well actually the talk about the ATIs in 3Dmk03 seems to be alot of bunk. Dreaming about 10k? It's already happened, with older slower, <i>thinner</i> silicon. So I don't think they were refering to the R42X at all, let alone 12/16.

Hype, hype and more hype, thankfully by my turn all should be exposed but the performance of the HIS, which may or may not matter. I'll only think of it as an issue for these early cards if there is an HD versiion of the AIW-R423.
Full PCI-EX (no bridge) would be essential there IMO. Elsewhere I doubt we'd see much use until further apps exposed something and maybe even then, less that the margin of error difference perhaps. But who knows, we could be wrong, considering our sources, I'd be surprised if we got it all right.

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Also there is the issue of trying to show off new generation hardware by benchmarking it with outdated software; Doom 3, for example, though not outdated, is not necessarily a next-gen title, it's just a very long-overdue game that could have run on many systems 2 years ago, granted with some settings turned down. It's the fruition of technology that's already been around for a few years. John Carmack even acknowldeged that the technology used in the engine is already slightly outdated compared to what the new wave of hardware is capable of, with the floating point frame buffering and all. Hell, the 9800 is really just a slight improvement over the 9700... I don't think we necessarily have any appropriate software to really gauge the new chips since the games they are developed on won't hit the shelves for AT LEAST 2 years, and by then the FX6800 will be what your Ti4200 is right now.

True but that's the way it works. 3Dmk04 and other things may give us some insight into the future in the way that 3Dmk03, Shademark, and Rthdribl did.

One of the hanges though is that the gaming world is getting more resources and growing alot quicker than before. The industry is enormous and rivals/surpasses movie making. So you may see the pace speed up a bit. The indsutry will always try to sell to the most people possible, but then can do that while exploiting new technology/features at the same time.

I would expect the R423 to be about $799 Canadian, and the R420 to be $699 CDN. As much as the price list now is a little pricey. Anything more than that and you will see alot of smuggled cards coming back from BestBuy Buffalo, Detroit, Seattle, etc.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
A looooong time ago (3 yrs maybe), when I used to imagine the future of gaming, I always thought about "RESOLUTION"! Playing HL, I was like, "hmm.. when games get better and more realistic, they'll have to up the res. too. I wonder when they'll stop? They'll probly have like 36,000 pixels (horiz.) some day! That'll look just about perfect!"
The human eye limit is about 0.1mm with high contrast. So we will never see 30K horizontal line.

Today's pitch is about 0.25/0.28mm if company reduce this pitch to 0.10/0.15 this will be the maximum effective resultion, any higher woulb be useless.

So, the highest resolution monitor will probably be 4000 to 5000 lines. I wouls like to have a 21 inch 4096x3072... :smile:

Or a widescreen panel (16/9) at 7282x4096! This would kick ass!!!

--

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I think you're off on this one. ATI says 2-3x 9700 pro performance
Off.. Maybe, but, ATI/nVidia always said their next-gen products would kick-ass. And often, they are better, but they don't make last generation GPU worthless. I often read the Drivers Release notes, and both company often clain x% increase in performance in certain games/situation. But, in fact, we never see thse improvments, sometime we get some boost, but never as much as they stated in their Release notes. It's why I'm a bit septical! And if the facts prove me I was wrong, I will be very happy!

Usually, I always buy GPU that is one generation old. Today, I have a Radeon 8500. I think I will buy a Radeon 9600/9800 within a few months. But, if Radeon X??? or GeForce 6??? are MUCH more faster, I would consider them.

The problem, is if they are so much faster, no one will want to buy Radeon 9??? or GeForce FX anymore! Only 2 weeks before we will start to answer all those questions!

--