Acer 4339-2618 cpu upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenmha

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I have an Acer Aspire 4339-2618. It's a decent laptop, however, it could use more processing power. So, I'm thinking of upgrading the CPU from the stock Celeron P4600 (Socket G1). I have two possible upgrades: 1. i5 560m. 2. i7 640M. Both CPU's are socket compatible with my laptop, so can I go ahead and install the processor? Basically, I'm asking is there any upgrade limitations that I should be aware of? Acer website did not provide any information regarding this topic.

Solution
No you cant. Very few laptops are upgradeable as far as CPU and GPU go. Memory, hard drives are easy. Im highly doubting Acer is one of the manufactureres that allows the CPU to be changed out. Usually its soldered to the motherboard.
No you cant. Very few laptops are upgradeable as far as CPU and GPU go. Memory, hard drives are easy. Im highly doubting Acer is one of the manufactureres that allows the CPU to be changed out. Usually its soldered to the motherboard.

Solution

ngrego

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
Sounds like an ineresting venture! Normally everything should go well, if the CPU socket is the same it should work. One thing I can suggest you look into is the cooling solution.
I did a similar job on this old Toshiba Satelite A40 I had in the office. It had a crappy Celeron 1.8GHz installed on it and I popped in a Pentium 4 HT 3.00GHz. The laptop works well but every so often it pops up a message about the cooling solution not working correctly. After a restart the message goes away but I don't really care if the laptop is damaged!
You may want to look into that before starting, otherwise I can't think of anything.
Good Luck!

joelahey

Reputable
Jun 25, 2014

Hi I have the same laptop and got the i5 560M. The CPU fit fine but the laptop would not boot at all. I put the old processor back in and booted fine. Just passing the information, interesting topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.