Will Inspiron 4100 boot from USB?

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

1.13 GHZ machine, one USB 1.0 port, would I be able to boot the laptop
from this USB port, using an external drive, or a thumb drive of some
sort?

Running XP Home, no SP1 or SP2. Don't worry, I don't have it on the
internet yet.

BigJim

try hitting the f12 key at boot and see. I think it is the F12 key.

"anon" <anon@mac.com> wrote in message
> 1.13 GHZ machine, one USB 1.0 port, would I be able to boot the laptop
> from this USB port, using an external drive, or a thumb drive of some
> sort?
>
> Running XP Home, no SP1 or SP2. Don't worry, I don't have it on the
> internet yet.

No. The USB boot feature arrived with the budget chassis (11xx, 51xx)
and D-chassis (600m/D600/8500/D800) models. The earlier C-chassis, of
which your 4100 is part, don't have this feature.