remote for mn-700

Last response: in Networking
Share
July 12, 2005 1:16:02 AM

My WAN IP address keeps changing - this is the IP address I have to use when
I remote from outside my network. However, the IP address changes. I use
comcast and the machine stays the same(192....) , but when I go to select
STATIC( under WAN) and add the IP address the comcast ip, I end up resetting
the base station. I used to use WAN for more then 6 months without it
changing, but now I have use a diffrent WAN IP address everyday. Can someone
help?

Thank you in advance
Richard

More about : remote 700

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 4:28:23 AM

If your ISP does not offer static ip, there is no guarantee that your ip
will stay the same. Past experience of your ip not changing doesn't
guarantee that this behaviour will continue in the present or in the future.

Your best bet is to sign up for a dynamic dns provider and use a dynamic dns
client to update your ip to the dns provider. This way, you can type in a
hostname, and your dns provider will redirect you to the correct ip
(whatever it happens to be).

See here for details.
http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My WAN IP address keeps changing - this is the IP address I have to use
> when
> I remote from outside my network. However, the IP address changes. I use
> comcast and the machine stays the same(192....) , but when I go to select
> STATIC( under WAN) and add the IP address the comcast ip, I end up
> resetting
> the base station. I used to use WAN for more then 6 months without it
> changing, but now I have use a diffrent WAN IP address everyday. Can
> someone
> help?
>
> Thank you in advance
> Richard
July 13, 2005 1:00:01 AM

Thank you Gary for the quick follow up. I just want to clarify for my
understanding. The WAN IP address seems to be generating from the MN-700. The
IP address that Comcast provides is a 192... this has been the same for a
number of weeks - it's the WAN IP address that keeps changing. Do I still
need to go to this DNS route?

Again, thank you for your help

Richard

"Gary Tsang" wrote:

> If your ISP does not offer static ip, there is no guarantee that your ip
> will stay the same. Past experience of your ip not changing doesn't
> guarantee that this behaviour will continue in the present or in the future.
>
> Your best bet is to sign up for a dynamic dns provider and use a dynamic dns
> client to update your ip to the dns provider. This way, you can type in a
> hostname, and your dns provider will redirect you to the correct ip
> (whatever it happens to be).
>
> See here for details.
> http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/
>
> --
> Gary Tsang
> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
>

> "Richard" <Richard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My WAN IP address keeps changing - this is the IP address I have to use
> > when
> > I remote from outside my network. However, the IP address changes. I use
> > comcast and the machine stays the same(192....) , but when I go to select
> > STATIC( under WAN) and add the IP address the comcast ip, I end up
> > resetting
> > the base station. I used to use WAN for more then 6 months without it
> > changing, but now I have use a diffrent WAN IP address everyday. Can
> > someone
> > help?
> >
> > Thank you in advance
> > Richard

July 13, 2005 9:53:07 AM

Comcast's regular residential product is DHCP and not static. The
192.2.x.x address on the computers is provided by the router/MN700. If
you leave your cable modem turned on 24 x 7 it is unlikely that your
WAN IP would change unless there is a renumbering or a node split.

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 21:00:01 -0700, "Richard"

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP

ok, thank you folks for your help