Compact Flash instead of a Hard Drive (Area51, others?)

I needed a little break from other less interesting tasks, so I took a
couple hours off this evening to try an experiment that I'd been wondering
about for *years*...

Thought I'd share in case anyone else was wondering the same thing--

http://www.multigame.com/CF.html

It's linked from my "hacks" page too.

-Clay
4 answers Last reply
More about compact flash hard drive area51 others

    Clay-

    What is JAMMATV 1.1?

    --
    -Steve P.

    "Steve Prendergast" <stevepren-newsgroups@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Clay-
    >
    > What is JAMMATV 1.1?

    That's my JAMMA->TV (AKA, "Supergun") device.... Provides a JAMMA interface
    with Composite & S-Video outputs and interfaces for Sony Playstation
    controllers. Uses a stock ATX-type computer power supply. I never really
    put it into production because I still haven't got my mill retrofitted for
    CNC operation to do the tooling on the cases. I guess I could just sell
    them with the case. :-P

    I changed the code on it a little from the "retail" version so than I can
    exercise every button on the JAMMA harness from one Playstation
    Controller -- I mostly use it for a JAMMA test rig now since it's nice and
    portable and I can check all the inputs on a board from one little
    controller... Works with the wireless controls too-- kind-of amusing.

    I guess if there was still interest I'd probably make it available for sale.
    I already bought parts and whatnot for them a long time ago-- suppose I
    should probably use them for something. :-)

    Here was my old page on it-- http://www.multigame.com/JAMMATV.html

    -Clay

    I wonder if the problems with imaging of Judge Dredd, etc might be in
    the method used to put the image on the drive?? You might try using
    chdman to put it on directly. See http://tinyurl.com/6wtrp for how to
    do that. Just a thought.

    "Erik" <ejerue@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I wonder if the problems with imaging of Judge Dredd, etc might be in
    > the method used to put the image on the drive?? You might try using
    > chdman to put it on directly. See http://tinyurl.com/6wtrp for how to
    > do that. Just a thought.

    I don't think so, but I didn't mess with it long either. I was able to put
    the same image on a hard drive using Dolly and the board worked fine, so
    it's something to do with the CF... I did note that when I used a (slow) 1G
    CF card the board only hit the "disk" briefly, but switching to the (faster)
    2G CF it was reading for a second or two before rebooting. It could be that
    since the image was truncated on the 1G is was aborting quickly because of
    that, or possibly that the faster 2G CF was making it a little farther?

    When I get some spare time again maybe I'll go see if there's an on board
    self test I can get into to check the disk... That'd be handy. (And maybe
    I'll try a one of the SanDisk "Ultra 2" or "Extreme" or "Extreme III" cards
    when they drop in price some more. The Extreme III in particular is
    supposed to sustain close to 20MB/sec which you'd think should be able to
    swamp that R3000 in the ZX board easily...)

    -Clay

Compact Flash Hard Drives Video Games Product