Problems With Win98 System Seeing/Using Shares on Windows ..

That's about it. A Windows 98SE system can see shares on a Windows XP system
and can access some but not others. Is there any surefire way of managing a
WIndows XP system so that it's shares can be seen by Win98 users? Also, can
you password protedct a Windows XP share like you can with Win98?
Thanks

I have a question, I am running Windows XP. I have a Printer, Copier,
Scanner, Card Reader by Epson, but it requires Windows 98 to run, can I
download this without any damage to Windows XP, yes as you can tell I am very
new to this. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

Peter D wrote:
> That's about it. A Windows 98SE system can see shares on a Windows XP system
> and can access some but not others. Is there any surefire way of managing a
> WIndows XP system so that it's shares can be seen by Win98 users?

On the WinXP PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
properly. Also, make sure that WinXP's built-in firewall
is disabled on the internal LAN connection.

On the Win2K PC, create local user account(s), with password(s),
that have the desired access privileges to the desired shares. Log on
to the other PCs using those account(s), and you will be able to
access the designated shares, provided your network is configured
properly.

Usually, WinXP's Networking Wizard makes it simple and painless --
almost entirely automatic, in fact. There's a lot of useful,
easy-to-follow information in WinXP's Help & Support files, and here:

Home Networking
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/homenet/default.asp

Networking Information
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking.htm

PracticallyNetworked Home
http://www.practicallynetworked.com/index.htm

Steve Winograd's Networking FAQ

> Also, can
> you password protedct a Windows XP share like you can with Win98?

Like Win2K, WinXP's file security paradigm doesn't rely on, or
allow, the cumbersome method of password protection for individual
applications, files, or folders. Instead, it uses the superior method
of explicitly assigning file/folder permissions to individual users
and/or groups.

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove File and Folder Permissions
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q308418

HOW TO Set, View, Change, or Remove Special Permissions for Files and
Folders
;Q308419]http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q308419

--

Bruce Chambers