USB disc drives

I use USB disc drives for backing up my workstation. However I have run into
a problem.

I guess that for every drive I use, XP keeps an entry somewhere in it's
registry to identify that drive in the furture.

I think I've hit some sort of limit as I don't seem to be able to mount any
new drives, and in fact even drives I have previously used cannot be mounted.

The connected drive shows up as a USB Mass storage device as it always has,
but it doesn't get assigned a drive letter and it doesn't show up in Disk
Management.

I know it's not the drives, the USB Mass Storage adaptor and it's not the
USB I/F card as I have tried them all in another PC and everything works.

So...what is the limit, what is stopping my workstation from seeing anymore
USB drives ? How do I get it working again ? How do I stop it happening
again in the future ?

I am using WinXP Pro SP2 with ll the latest patches.
The drives are formatted as NTFS Basic volume with one Primary Partition.

My guess would be some corrupt entry in the registry.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider

etc.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509