very slow login to domain!

what is causing XP for the very slow login (after entering username,
password and domain)? it's the same logging into a NT4 or AD domain. i have
checked all network settings and they are OK (DNS, WINS, suffix, etc).

if i leave the PC on the network (without logging in) long enuf for about
15-20mins, and then login, it goes in as normal.

what can cause the slow login?

"www" <www@www.com> wrote in message
> what is causing XP for the very slow login (after entering username,
> password and domain)? it's the same logging into a NT4 or AD domain. i
> have checked all network settings and they are OK (DNS, WINS, suffix,
> etc).
>
> if i leave the PC on the network (without logging in) long enuf for about
> 15-20mins, and then login, it goes in as normal.
>
> what can cause the slow login?

It sounds like a DNS problem. After 15-20 minutes the computer browser
service will find a domain controller with NETBIOS. What DNS server is the
workstation using? Do any other computers on the network have this problem?
Use ipconfig /all to determine which DNS server you are using. The first one
listed has to be a domain name server. Can you ping the first one listed?

Kerry

I would guess you are waiting for a 'timeout' on some form of Authentication.

See control panel, network connections, rightclick LAN icon, Properties, see Authentication tab.

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509