very slow login to domain!

what is causing XP for the very slow login (after entering username,
password and domain)? it's the same logging into a NT4 or AD domain. i have
checked all network settings and they are OK (DNS, WINS, suffix, etc).

if i leave the PC on the network (without logging in) long enuf for about
15-20mins, and then login, it goes in as normal.

what can cause the slow login?
3 answers Last reply
More about very slow login domain

    "www" <www@www.com> wrote in message
    > what is causing XP for the very slow login (after entering username,
    > password and domain)? it's the same logging into a NT4 or AD domain. i
    > have checked all network settings and they are OK (DNS, WINS, suffix,
    > etc).
    >
    > if i leave the PC on the network (without logging in) long enuf for about
    > 15-20mins, and then login, it goes in as normal.
    >
    > what can cause the slow login?

    It sounds like a DNS problem. After 15-20 minutes the computer browser
    service will find a domain controller with NETBIOS. What DNS server is the
    workstation using? Do any other computers on the network have this problem?
    Use ipconfig /all to determine which DNS server you are using. The first one
    listed has to be a domain name server. Can you ping the first one listed?

    Kerry

    I would guess you are waiting for a 'timeout' on some form of Authentication.

    See control panel, network connections, rightclick LAN icon, Properties, see Authentication tab.

    --

    Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
    FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
    "www" <www@www.com> wrote in message news:d435v9$cih$1@nwrdmz02.dmz.ncs.ea.ibs-infra.bt.com...
    > what is causing XP for the very slow login (after entering username, password and domain)? it's the same logging into a NT4 or AD
    > domain. i have checked all network settings and they are OK (DNS, WINS, suffix, etc).
    >
    > if i leave the PC on the network (without logging in) long enuf for about 15-20mins, and then login, it goes in as normal.
    >
    > what can cause the slow login?

  3. I'm having the same problem. I'm able to ping the first ip in the dns servers. What next?

Login Domain Windows XP