DustinSkye003

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003
I just finished building a new computer and i was going to load windows xp onto it. I made a copy of xp home from my uncle who bought a dell and the xp disk came with it. It is the full version and has the product key.
Will it work or will it lock me out?
If it locks me out, who do i call and what do i tell them so that i can get it to work? Will i have to provide personal information about the person who bought the dell in the first place?

Activation likely won't work, as any CD key can only be activated once. You'll be able to install and use Windows for 30 days before it absolutely demands that you activate it. Phone calls will not help you, since you are using a product key that was sold with a Dell computer... and will only be valid on that Dell computer.

The only way to get around activation is to use a Corporate Edition copy of XP Pro... it never needs to be activated. However, without a valid key, you won't be able to update to Service Pack 1. (Which some people don't seem to mind not being able to do anyway).

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

You can always just purchase the legitimate license key for the software.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

DaveP

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2002
I would be surprised if the Dell CD works on anything besides a Dell. Anyways, you probably need to get yourself a real copy of XP.

My Daddy used to tell me:
<b>It's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid,
then it is to open your mouth and prove it.</b>
I never was good at taking advice!

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm in agreement with davep. You are likely to have some serious issues with the Dell WinXP CD, unless you have exactly the same computer as your Uncle ... which isn't possible, since you built it yourself. Your only real options are to buy your own copy of WinXP, or find someone who can burn you a copy of the corporate version of WinXP and supply you with a product key that isn't blacklisted.

I'd suggest making the purchase of a valid copy, to avoid any potential problems now, or in the future.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

If its a restore disk no it won't work, but if its a two part software install with an official WinXP Home OEM installation disk, and the Dell software installation on a separate disk it will work.

With a two part setup even on the prioritary machine all you have to do is a LLF to the hardrive to remove the companys hidden files from the hardrive, those hidden files embedded on the hardrive look for the prioritary Dell, Gateway, HP, or whatever software, and will go no further until you put in the prioritary software, then it asks for the OP/SYS installation disk. I just got through doing that with a HP machine, what most people don't realize is just a regular format is not enough, the disk has got to be wiped clean with a Low Level Format. If he has a genuine Microsoft WinXP Home OEM installation disk it will work, with a legally purchased license key.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by 4ryan6 on 06/28/03 00:36 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
Dell doesn't ship original WinXP cds. It sends only customized copy of WinXP cds which will never install on any other computer. I spoke with few customers who already tried this and were unable to do so. That's the only cd u get for OS and u'll get a few for drivers and applications.

Regarding the other installation procedure, I don't think it's possible here. And if you wanna try low level format try searching "DEBUG LOW LEVEL FORMAT" in google and u will fing a list of commands to do that. Infact it is not an actual low level format but it fills zeros on the hard disk only to an extent and leave the rest. Actual low level format can be done only at the factory by special equipment.

Correct me if I'm wrong

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
there is a program out there that can get you an activation number, and not be a black listed one. there is also a way around the dell, gateway. or any other computer manufacterer's os'es, when i worked for gateway we used to bypass it all the time. i did it on dells as well as packard bells.

im not gonna say how. he will have to figure it out. but am just saying it can be done.

Dell doesn't ship original WinXP cds.
Then thats whats called a restore disk and will not work, RMP!

Regarding the other installation procedure, I don't think it's possible here. And if you wanna try low level format try searching "DEBUG LOW LEVEL FORMAT" in google and u will fing a list of commands to do that. Infact it is not an actual low level format but it fills zeros on the hard disk only to an extent and leave the rest. Actual low level format can be done only at the factory by special equipment.
FYI, You can download factory diagnostic disks for just about any hardrive in existence by going straight to the maker of the hardrive, or through links provided in the Utilities section at <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com" target="_new">http://www.bootdisk.com</A>, and most all have the ability to wipe the entire drive clean, or LLF the drive, or write disk pack the drive, which all accomplish the same thing, which is to completely remove the prioritary info, I know because I've done it many times.

<b><font color=purple>Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.</font color=purple></b>

I'm not sure about hidden files, but one thing I do know is that most restore CDs will check the Manufacturer and Model strings stored in the BIOS... has nothing to do with the hard drive. If it did, it would be hard to install a new hard drive on a unit that failed. There is a little program you can get to edit that BIOS info... I'm trying to remember what it's called, but I can't atm.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
____________________________________________________________You can download factory diagnostic disks for just about any hardrive in existence by going straight to the maker of the hardrive, or through links provided in the Utilities section at http://www.bootdisk.com, and most all have the ability to wipe the entire drive clean, or LLF the drive, or write disk pack the drive, which all accomplish the same thing, which is to completely remove the prioritary info, I know because I've done it many times.

I am sorry to contradict with ur theory. Yes! Zero-Filling does the job of wiping the hard drive but still Zero-Filling and Low Level Format are two entirely different things.

In LLF the u make the hard drive empty (filling a hard drive with 0's doesn't nake it empty. It makes the hard drive full of 0's). I still stick to the same argument that Zero-Filling is not LLF.

Just because everybody makes the mistake of calling Zero-Flilling LLF, it doesn't mean u should too.

Why don't you read the following.

"Low-level formatting is the process of outlining the positions of the tracks and sectors on the hard disk, and writing the control structures that define where the tracks and sectors are. This is often called a "true" formatting operation, because it really creates the physical format that defines where the data is stored on the disk. The first time that a low-level format ("LLF") is performed on a hard disk, the disk's platters start out empty. That's the last time the platters will be empty for the life of the drive. If an LLF is done on a disk with data on it already, the data is permanently erased (save heroic data recovery measures which are sometimes possible).

If you've explored other areas of this material describing hard disks, you have learned that modern hard disks are much more precisely designed and built, and much more complicated than older disks. Older disks had the same number of sectors per track, and did not use dedicated controllers. It was necessary for the external controller to do the low-level format, and quite easy to describe the geometry of the drive to the controller so it could do the LLF. Newer disks use many complex internal structures, including zoned bit recording to put more sectors on the outer tracks than the inner ones, and embedded servo data to control the head actuator. They also transparently map out bad sectors. Due to this complexity, all modern hard disks are low-level formatted at the factory for the life of the drive.
*****There's no way for the PC to do an LLF on a modern IDE/ATA or SCSI hard disk*****
, and there's no reason to try to do so.

Older drives needed to be re-low-level-formatted occasionally because of the thermal expansion problems associated with using stepper motor actuators. Over time, the tracks on the platters would move relative to where the heads expected them to be, and errors would result. These could be corrected by doing a low-level format, rewriting the tracks in the new positions that the stepper motor moved the heads to. This is totally unnecessary with modern voice-coil-actuated hard disks.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/formatLow-c.html

____________________________________________________________You can download factory diagnostic disks for just about any hardrive in existence by going straight to the maker of the hardrive, or through links provided in the Utilities section

Hard drive manufacturers have created for modern drives replacements for the old LLF utilities. They cause some confusion, because they are often still called "low-level format" utilities. The name is incorrect because, again, no utility that a user can run on a PC can LLF a modern drive. A more proper name for this sort of program is a zero-fill and diagnostic utility. This software does work on the drive at a low level, usually including the following functions (and perhaps others)

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/formatUtilities-c.html

0zzie

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2003
Hey Zoron - re what you said about most restore cd's - I think im having a problem bc my restore CD wont recognise my new MOBO (and thus bios) and it says it will not work with my PC configuration. Do you remember the program you need to edit the bios - problem is I dont know what the bios info was on my old system.

I am sorry to contradict with ur theory. Yes! Zero-Filling does the job of wiping the hard drive but still Zero-Filling and Low Level Format are two entirely different things.
Its not a theory, I've done it many times, you can write 50 pages if you want to, it doesn't matter, Zero Filling accomplishes the same goal, to be able to reinstall an OP/SYS, some diagnostic disk programs actually call Zero Filling, Low Level Formatting, thats their business, and I don't care about that, the only thing I'm concerned about, is will the Zero Fill, remove the existing Prioritary info residing on the said hardrive, and the answer is, Yes it will.

I'll have to see if I can dig through some of my old email... If I remember correctly, it edits the info in the DMI Pool... you can set the manufacturer of your PC that way.

I do repair work for a white box manufacturer. In the last two years, they have started using recovery CDs... basically all the CD does is check the 'Manufacturer' string in the DMI to see if it matches. When replacing the motherboards on these computers, it's quite often necessary to edit the string in order to be able to do a restore. I may even have a copy of the program.

jezze

Distinguished
May 5, 2002
Of course it will work. The only problem you can have is that if you want to upgrade WinXP with service pack1 you won’t be able. Why? Because if your uncle already or downloaded service pack1 the serial number will recorded by Bill Gates, I mean Microsoft :). It means that if another person try to download the service pack1 with a copy of WinXP with the same serial number it won’t let it happen cause it was used already and it’s on the MS database. In the other hand, it will let you download all the other updates. The best choice is to get a serial number of a corporate version of WinXP. Another way could be to order a CDROM with service pack1.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The only problem you can have is that if you want to upgrade WinXP with service pack1 you won’t be able. Why?
It's not the problem. You can still order Service Pack CD from Microsoft.

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.