Malicious Software Removal Tool

April 19, 2005 2:50:52 PM

I have plenty of software to check for and delete the same things this
checks for. I strongly believe in not running anything not necessary as it
can only cause problems where there were none.
Is there any way to still keep my automatic notifications running but not
get them for this every day or two?
TIA
SG
April 19, 2005 5:57:49 PM

It should only download and run once a month! Once it's done "its thing" it
disappears, or at least it's supposed to.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
"shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>I have plenty of software to check for and delete the same things this
>checks for. I strongly believe in not running anything not necessary as it
>can only cause problems where there were none.
> Is there any way to still keep my automatic notifications running but not
> get them for this every day or two?
> TIA
> SG

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 7:01:19 AM

"shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote:

>I have plenty of software to check for and delete the same things this
>checks for. I strongly believe in not running anything not necessary as it
>can only cause problems where there were none.
>Is there any way to still keep my automatic notifications running but not
>get them for this every day or two?
>TIA
>SG

The only reason for repeated downloads of this would be if it does not
install succesfully. And if it does not install that usually means
that there is some sort of malware in place that is blocking it.

Check your system by following MVP Jim Eshelman's Spyware Quick Fix
procedure at http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm and follow this up by
doing a free online virus scan at one of the following sites:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

http://aumha.org/alex.htm
Related resources
April 20, 2005 8:35:51 PM

> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>>I have plenty of software to check for and delete the same things this
>>checks for. I strongly believe in not running anything not necessary as it
>>can only cause problems where there were none.
>>Is there any way to still keep my automatic notifications running but not
>>get them for this every day or two?
>>TIA
>>SG
>>

> The only reason for repeated downloads of this would be if it does not
> install succesfully. And if it does not install that usually means
> that there is some sort of malware in place that is blocking it.
>
> Check your system by following MVP Jim Eshelman's Spyware Quick Fix
> procedure at http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm and follow this up by
> doing a free online virus scan at one of the following sites:
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
> http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
>
> Good luck
>

> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
> --
> Microsoft MVP
> On-Line Help Computer Service
> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

> http://aumha.org/alex.htm

Ron both you and Peter have misread my question. I DO NOT want to download
and/or run this tool. I just want my automatic notification to stop telling
me about it. I know I can just turn notification off but that would also
stop my getting other update notifications.
SG
April 21, 2005 1:23:38 AM

You can "hide" the malicious software update on the update page.It will
still be there and it will let you know that you have a hidden update. Just
go to the update site, click on custom and you'll see the option, I don't
remember if you right click on the update or what, but it's easy, once you
are there. Also, the software is bad stuff. It needs work DO NOT INSTALL IT,
you will regret it. Now, before all the MS MVPs jump on me for saying this,
I am an MCSA, and MCDST , so I do not say this lightly. I also sent a report
to MS. They ignored it. I am sure MS will get to run correctly on most
systems, but right now it only runs on a few without causing problems.
Rendered my Zonealarm and NAV inoperable.
Frank L

> "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I have plenty of software to check for and delete the same things this
>>>checks for. I strongly believe in not running anything not necessary as
>>>it
>>>can only cause problems where there were none.
>>>Is there any way to still keep my automatic notifications running but not
>>>get them for this every day or two?
>>>TIA
>>>SG
>>>

>> The only reason for repeated downloads of this would be if it does not
>> install succesfully. And if it does not install that usually means
>> that there is some sort of malware in place that is blocking it.
>>
>> Check your system by following MVP Jim Eshelman's Spyware Quick Fix
>> procedure at http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm and follow this up by
>> doing a free online virus scan at one of the following sites:
>> http://housecall.trendmicro.com
>> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
>> http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
>>
>> Good luck
>>

>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP
>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>
>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
>
> Ron both you and Peter have misread my question. I DO NOT want to download
> and/or run this tool. I just want my automatic notification to stop
> telling me about it. I know I can just turn notification off but that
> would also stop my getting other update notifications.
> SG

April 21, 2005 1:23:39 AM

Thanks Frank Don't know if its bad stuff but I run nothing that I already
have in a better form.
SG
"Frank" <stratster68@IHATESPAMworldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> You can "hide" the malicious software update on the update page.It will
> still be there and it will let you know that you have a hidden update.
> Just go to the update site, click on custom and you'll see the option, I
> don't remember if you right click on the update or what, but it's easy,
> once you are there. Also, the software is bad stuff. It needs work DO NOT
> INSTALL IT, you will regret it. Now, before all the MS MVPs jump on me for
> saying this, I am an MCSA, and MCDST , so I do not say this lightly. I
> also sent a report to MS. They ignored it. I am sure MS will get to run
> correctly on most systems, but right now it only runs on a few without
> causing problems. Rendered my Zonealarm and NAV inoperable.
> Frank L
> "shakey" <shakey@sonic.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ron Martell" <ron.martell@gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> The only reason for repeated downloads of this would be if it does not
>>> install succesfully. And if it does not install that usually means
>>> that there is some sort of malware in place that is blocking it.
>>>
>>> Check your system by following MVP Jim Eshelman's Spyware Quick Fix
>>> procedure at http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm and follow this up by
>>> doing a free online virus scan at one of the following sites:
>>> http://housecall.trendmicro.com
>>> http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/
>>> http://www.ravantivirus.com/scan/
>>>
>>> Good luck
>>>

>>> Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
>>> --
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> On-Line Help Computer Service
>>> http://onlinehelp.bc.ca
>>>
>>> In memory of a dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
>>> http://aumha.org/alex.htm
>>
>> Ron both you and Peter have misread my question. I DO NOT want to
>> download and/or run this tool. I just want my automatic notification to
>> stop telling me about it. I know I can just turn notification off but
>> that would also stop my getting other update notifications.
>> SG

April 21, 2005 1:24:36 AM

OK, just click on the update, their is a check box there to hide it.
Frank L

!