I need help installing my RADEON 9800PRO

Marcoprz77

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2004
Hey guys, a while ago I posted here, asking bout video cards and stuff, and almost all of you adviced me to get a 9800 pro, well I got it today, but I can't make it work.
I installed it, then installed the catalyst drivers from the cd, and everything seemed fine for a while until it asked me reboot and after that my computer freezes after the winxp loading screen sometimes (the screen just stays black), other times after loading windows, I installed the newest agp drivers for my motherboard from via , but that didn't work, can it be the power source? its a generic 350W, but I just have 1 hard drive and 1 cd drive conected, and well I dunno I guessed if it was the powersource, my pc wouldn't even turn on, right? well I hope I'm wrong and it's just that. My pc specs are:

Athlon XP 2100+ 1.73ghz
256 DDR 266mhz ram
Biostar M7VIP motherboard with VIAKT333 chipset
A Vodoo 3 2000PCI (cause my 9800pro doesnt like me, so it's back in the box.
40G seagate hdd and a samsung 52X cd drive
Gen. 350W Powersource

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by marcoprz77 on 04/11/04 04:13 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pauldh

Illustrious
What card is it? BBA? Saphire?

Also what card did you have before, and what steps did you take to remove the old drivers before installing the 9800 pro? Were you using that PCI card before?

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 04/11/04 09:32 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Marcoprz77

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2004
It's a BBA card, and yeah, I had the voodoo 3 pci installed before the ati card, and well I didnt remove drivers for it, cause I was using the ones windows xp had, I didnt use the voodoo 3 installation cd. So I just took it off and then plug the radeon , then windows recognized it, but I installed the catalyst drivers that came in the cd, they were 3.8 I think. And after that I rebooted and well it just doesn't work.

pauldh

Illustrious
so now your on the PCI voodoo right? Look in control panel add/remove programs. See if you can find and remove both the ATI display driver and ATI control panel, as well as the MS voodoo drivers. Before you remove them, download the CAT4.3's complete driver set from ATI's website so you have them. Avoid the cat 3.8's from the CD. You may need the CD later when you try to load up the ATI DVD player if you are using it.

See if you can do these steps. Also, yes it could be the generic power supply, but try these steps first.

Download Cat 4.3 complete
remove old ATI display drivers/ATI control panel
remove voodoo drivers
you could also use a driver cleaner also.

shut down system and put in the ATI card. Cancel if Windows tries to find drivers
Run the ATI Cat 4.3 driver download.
reboot, and hopefully it will boot up this time.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

Marcoprz77

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2004
Dude I can't uninstall the ati multimedia center and the ati dvd decoder, it tells me "ati hardware not present" and the uninstaller closes, I downloaded the catalyst uninstaller but didnt work either, what should I do to uninstall them?

oh yeah and how can I cancel windows installing my video card by itself? cause It doesnt ask me If I want to install the new device, it just says, new hardware found, then vga card found, then RADEON 9800 128DDR and then it says done, all of this in the system tray, is there a way to desactivate this annoying "I can install it all by myself" windows feature?

Marcoprz77

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2004
mm I uninstalled and installed again, now my pc wont load windows it gives me a blue screen saying "UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DEVICE" and some text saying windows is going to stop to prevent damage to my hardware and If I try to go to the safe mode it's the same

blackphoenix77

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2004
What type of motherboard do you have? You should update to the current BIOS, I've seen many people who've had to do that to get there Radeons to work.

<A HREF="http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?michael:)" target="_new"> You Want To Click Me, Go Ahead:) </A>

pauldh

Illustrious
If you can get it running with the voodoo, I'd use win restore to go back to before sticking the radeon in for the first time.

Do you have an extra HDD? How do you feel about wiping the HDD clean and doing a fresh Windows install with the R9800 pro in? Alot of data to back up?

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

miniklobb

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2004
seems your pc is messed up pretty bad i would reccomend using the voodo if you can to load win dows and take every thing you want off the drive to another, hate to say it but when i got the no boot device error i had to reinstall if you can't back it up try a restore program but that will still only get you back to where you where befor all this mess and with no radeon 9800pro

P4 2.8c
Seagate 160g 7200rpm 8mb cache
2x256 Crucial PC3200
Asus P4P800