Error on booting Windows XP2 disk

Toby

On a Dell Dimension 8100 (Bios updated to version xp) I can boot up and
install windows XP professional (original version). If I try and boot
up Windows XP Pro with SP2 then the system blue screens as soon as the
cd starts up windows.

error is STOP 0x0000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000,
0x00000000).

I have tried
1 replacement (new) hard drive
2 different CD rom
3 replaced memory
4 replaced CD rom drive
5 all other devices are removed from motherboard (ie sound card, modem
etc)

If I install the original windows xp professional this is fine. If I
upgrade it using windows updates to sp2 then this blue screens on
startup.

On 19 Apr 2005 12:12:56 -0700, toby@stenroy.com wrote:

>On a Dell Dimension 8100 (Bios updated to version xp) I can boot up and
>install windows XP professional (original version). If I try and boot
>up Windows XP Pro with SP2 then the system blue screens as soon as the
>cd starts up windows.
>
>error is STOP 0x0000007f (0x00000008, 0x80042000, 0x00000000,
>0x00000000).
>
>I have tried
> 1 replacement (new) hard drive
> 2 different CD rom
> 3 replaced memory
> 4 replaced CD rom drive
> 5 all other devices are removed from motherboard (ie sound card, modem
>etc)
>
>If I install the original windows xp professional this is fine. If I
>upgrade it using windows updates to sp2 then this blue screens on
>startup.

Your original WinXp Cd is not expected to work anymore if you have
already
installed SP2 on your computer. I'm assuming that it was a
bought copy here!

Why don't you make a new XP CD by slipstreaming
SP2 with your original XP CD files - here is the link
to enable you to do this:

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp

Ruth.

Underscore netween windowsxp and sp2 and sp2 and slipstream.