MN-700: Accessing Config I/F In Access Point Mode

Last response: in Networking
July 12, 2005 3:19:55 AM

Hi,

I'm using a MN-700 in access point mode, behind a broadband router that's
connected to my cable modem. I realize that the config utility will no
longer operate once I've switched to access point mode, but that never
bothered me because until recently I've still been able to get to the
MN-700's web-based configuration interface by simply typing in its IP
address (192.168.0.49 in my LAN) into the Address line of my web browser,
which gave me the MN-700's login page, and logging into the unit. However,
I recently had to power cycle the MN-700. Everything still works fine in
terms of wireless client connectivity to the MN-700, BUT I can no longer use
that same IP address to connect to my MN-700. I believe that, although the
MN-700's DHCP server is disabled in access point mode, it still functions as
a DHCP client to obtain its own IP address from the network's DHCP server
(it this case, of course, my router)...and that during the recent power
cycle, it got a new address, different than the 192.168.0.49 it used to be.
(I have my router set up to assign IP's in the range 192.168.0.40 to
192.168.0.120.) The question: how the heck do I figure out what new IP
address the MN-700 has, so I can get to its web interface?? The Microsoft
Broadband Networking Utility won't find it, and neither will 3rd party LAN
tools designed to enumerate devices on the network (neither ever has found
the MN-700 in access point mode, even when I know it had 192.168.0.49). I
also tried 192.168.2.1, and it ain't that. I really do not want to do a
config (back panel pushbutton) reset of the MN-700 and start config all over
again from scratch, especially all the wireless security settings. Can
anyone provide guidance on how to determine the MN-700's IP address, or
otherwise connect to its web server?

Thx.

Tom
Anonymous
July 12, 2005 2:16:37 PM

Hi,

When you set up the MN-700 to Access Point mode, there's an option below
where you can enter in the name of the base station. The default base
station name is MN-700. On the same page where you change the mode of the
Base Station is has an important note:

Important Before you change the base station mode, assign a name to the
base station. When you set the base station to access point mode, you must
use this name instead of the base station IP address to open the Management
Tool settings. For more information about this requirement, click Help.

Do you still remember the name you gave your base station? You can try
http://MN-700/ and see if you can still access the Base Station Management
Tool, if you didn't change the name of the base station.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Tom Truesdell" <truesdell@charter.net> wrote in message
news:o GZldmqhFHA.2424@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> I'm using a MN-700 in access point mode, behind a broadband router that's
> connected to my cable modem. I realize that the config utility will no
> longer operate once I've switched to access point mode, but that never
> bothered me because until recently I've still been able to get to the
> MN-700's web-based configuration interface by simply typing in its IP
> address (192.168.0.49 in my LAN) into the Address line of my web browser,
> which gave me the MN-700's login page, and logging into the unit.
> However, I recently had to power cycle the MN-700. Everything still works
> fine in terms of wireless client connectivity to the MN-700, BUT I can no
> longer use that same IP address to connect to my MN-700. I believe that,
> although the MN-700's DHCP server is disabled in access point mode, it
> still functions as a DHCP client to obtain its own IP address from the
> network's DHCP server (it this case, of course, my router)...and that
> during the recent power cycle, it got a new address, different than the
> 192.168.0.49 it used to be. (I have my router set up to assign IP's in the
> range 192.168.0.40 to 192.168.0.120.) The question: how the heck do I
> figure out what new IP address the MN-700 has, so I can get to its web
> interface?? The Microsoft Broadband Networking Utility won't find it, and
> neither will 3rd party LAN tools designed to enumerate devices on the
> network (neither ever has found the MN-700 in access point mode, even when
> I know it had 192.168.0.49). I also tried 192.168.2.1, and it ain't that.
> I really do not want to do a config (back panel pushbutton) reset of the
> MN-700 and start config all over again from scratch, especially all the
> wireless security settings. Can anyone provide guidance on how to
> determine the MN-700's IP address, or otherwise connect to its web server?
>
> Thx.
>
> Tom

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 11:22:09 PM

Alternatively, goto your dhcp server, and see what ip was assigned to the
MN700.

I'd assume that another router is acting as your DHCP server, and if not,
you probably know what is acting as your DHCP server.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Gary Tsang" <gtsangDELETE@MEaumha.org> wrote in message
> [...]
>> router)...and that during the recent power cycle, it got a new address,
>> different than the 192.168.0.49 it used to be. (I have my router set up
>> to assign IP's in the range 192.168.0.40 to 192.168.0.120.) The
>> question: how the heck do I figure out what new IP address the MN-700
>> has, so I can get to its web interface?? The Microsoft Broadband
>> Networking Utility won't find it, and neither will 3rd party LAN tools
>> designed to enumerate devices on the network (neither ever has found the
>> MN-700 in access point mode, even when I know it had 192.168.0.49). I
>> also tried 192.168.2.1, and it ain't that. I really do not want to do a
>> config (back panel pushbutton) reset of the MN-700 and start config all
>> over again from scratch, especially all the wireless security settings.
>> Can anyone provide guidance on how to determine the MN-700's IP address,

July 14, 2005 10:48:59 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I did rename the base station, and I do know
what that name is, and I already had tried to get to the config interface by
typing http://<base station name> into IE's address line. It no longer gets
me to the base station's login page. I also tried http://MN-700 just for
grins, but no joy.

Tom

> [...]
the
> > range 192.168.0.40 to 192.168.0.120.) The question: how the heck do I
> > figure out what new IP address the MN-700 has, so I can get to its web
> > interface?? The Microsoft Broadband Networking Utility won't find it,
and
> > neither will 3rd party LAN tools designed to enumerate devices on the
> > network (neither ever has found the MN-700 in access point mode, even
when
> > I know it had 192.168.0.49). I also tried 192.168.2.1, and it ain't
that.
> > I really do not want to do a config (back panel pushbutton) reset of the
> > MN-700 and start config all over again from scratch, especially all the
> > wireless security settings. Can anyone provide guidance on how to
> > determine the MN-700's IP address, or otherwise connect to its web

Anonymous
July 14, 2005 10:54:12 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my Netgear RP614 router is my DHCP server.
Unfortunately, it does not tell me what IP address it has assigned to the
MN-700. It has a page called "attached devices" which reports most of the
addresses it has parceled out, as well as the addresses of a couple of
static-address devices on my LAN, but it does not - and in fact never has -
reported the address of the MN-700. I never have understood why that is.

Any other ideas?

Thanks again -

Tom

!