Windows XP Crashes Running Games

Tags:
  • Games
  • Windows XP
April 19, 2005 4:39:02 PM

I have just completely overhauled my PC (New Hardware)
I now find that whenever I run games (Pro evoelution soccer 4, Cossacks 2,
Hearts of Iron 2) I get a blue screen of death error after about 15 to 20
mins.
The error is STOP 0x000000FE (0x00000005, 0x85FD40E0,0x10DE0067,0x85F0A900)
My hardware consisits of

ABIT NF7S Motherboard
AMD Athlon 3200 XP Processor
1Gb Kingston DDR 4000 RAM
ATI Radeon X800 Video Card (256 RAM)
74Gb SATA Hard disk Drive
Windows XP Pro SP2
Direct X 9c

Can anyone help with this as the idea of the upgrade was to be able to run
such games smoothly and I am finding this very annoying.

More about : windows crashes running games

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 1:41:17 AM

As Robert stated, normally a driver issue, the two most common, video or
sound, especially when dealing with high performance games. Make sure both
the drivers are WHQL certified.

--

Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

http://www.google.com
Google is your "Friend"

"NAC" <NAC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have just completely overhauled my PC (New Hardware)
> I now find that whenever I run games (Pro evoelution soccer 4, Cossacks 2,
> Hearts of Iron 2) I get a blue screen of death error after about 15 to 20
> mins.
> The error is STOP 0x000000FE (0x00000005,
> 0x85FD40E0,0x10DE0067,0x85F0A900)
> My hardware consisits of
>
> ABIT NF7S Motherboard
> AMD Athlon 3200 XP Processor
> 1Gb Kingston DDR 4000 RAM
> ATI Radeon X800 Video Card (256 RAM)
> 74Gb SATA Hard disk Drive
> Windows XP Pro SP2
> Direct X 9c
>
> Can anyone help with this as the idea of the upgrade was to be able to run
> such games smoothly and I am finding this very annoying.

Anonymous
April 20, 2005 3:51:02 AM

Thanks for that Robert. The thing is I've been on the ATI Site and installed
the latest Video Driver for this card (V6.14.10.6525) which is Windows
Certified. I have been reading some posts elsewhere though about people
having problems with this Catalyst Driver, don't know if you can shed anymore
light on this one.
The sound card is a sound blaster live player with the driver version
5.12.2.252. This driver is dated 24/07/2002 but I cannot find anything more
recent, again unless you know otherwise. This driver was not certified when I
installed it yet it came from the Creative Labs site. So where do I go from
here?
Hope someone can assist.
Many thanks

NAC
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 4:59:02 PM

Thank you both for your help so far. I do believe that it is a driver
problem. However it is now a question of identifying the culprit
I have now obtained both a MINI Dump and a FULL Dump file but have no idea
how to read them.
If I was to send them as an attachment does anyone have the Dumpchk tool and
the relevent symbol set to read them?
I would be most grateful if someone could assist here, as maybe after
reading those files I can finally nail this issue down and get on with
enjoying my gaming.

Many thanks once again in anticipation.

NAC
!