Keyboard keys type numbers PROBLEM

I installed a version of Avid 4.0, an editing program, which screwed up my
keyboard. It installed Windows NT components, and I'm not sure how to root
both the NT and Avid corrupted 'genes' in my computer. Some keys type the
letters that they're supposed to, but others type numbers or symbols (for
Avid). I uninstalled Avid...and on another computer I installed it and
uninstalled it as well, but the keyboard problem went away with the
uninstallation. I have installed all the Windows updates, including service
pack 2, but nothing fixed it. I also tried the regional/language settings,
but that didn't fix it either. Does someone know how to fix a problem such as
this, or know which venue on this Microsoft site to access in order to get
this problem fixed? Or perhaps is there some way that I can manually
reconfigure each key on the keyboard? Need some help with this. Thanks in
advance. (I typed this question on another comp BTW).

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:BFBD9401-0A64-4CF7-B035-92C360D6BF1B@microsoft.com,
Zeefor <Zeefor@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I installed a version of Avid 4.0, an editing program, which screwed
> up my keyboard. It installed Windows NT components, and I'm not sure
> how to root both the NT and Avid corrupted 'genes' in my computer.
> Some keys type the letters that they're supposed to, but others type
> numbers or symbols (for Avid). I uninstalled Avid...and on another
> computer I installed it and uninstalled it as well, but the keyboard
> problem went away with the uninstallation. I have installed all the
> Windows updates, including service pack 2, but nothing fixed it. I
> also tried the regional/language settings, but that didn't fix it
> either. Does someone know how to fix a problem such as this, or know
> which venue on this Microsoft site to access in order to get this
> problem fixed? Or perhaps is there some way that I can manually
> reconfigure each key on the keyboard? Need some help with this.
> Thanks in advance. (I typed this question on another comp BTW).

Try removing the keyboard from the device manager and rebooting and allowing
it to map it to the correct keyboard type. (Often standard 101/102 Microsoft
Keyboard IIRC.)

Galen