and thrash a team that had only 3 foreigners playing.....

oh the IRONY....

--
"How Many Shrinks does it take to change a lightbulb"

"None, It has to want to change itself..."

Staff member of one of the best FM sites around:
http://www.fmunderground.net/

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:12:43 GMT, "Pete Heslop" <shadowalk@gmail.com>
wrote:

>and thrash a team that had only 3 foreigners playing.....

so youre happy that your club has very few british players, nevermind
LOCAL players, but instead has a load of foreigners who have little
feel for the history of the club?

>oh the IRONY....

indeed, Alanis.
--

gamertag: chrisflynnuk
Live Line-up: RS3, RS3:BA, PGR2, Links04, SC:pT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3,

"Chris F" <chris@asif.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 00:12:43 GMT, "Pete Heslop" <shadowalk@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>and thrash a team that had only 3 foreigners playing.....
>
> so youre happy that your club has very few british players, nevermind
> LOCAL players, but instead has a load of foreigners who have little
> feel for the history of the club?

Did I say that? no, just said Our FOREIGNERS thrashed a side that 80%
british, thus proving why Prem Teams dont have too many british players.

But on that note Arsenal have at least 5 GOOD british players at the moment,
so wont need to worry about the ruling. I don't honestly believe Arsene or
Dein went out to play a 100% non british team, it just happened.

>>oh the IRONY....
>
> indeed, Alanis.
> --
>
> gamertag: chrisflynnuk
> Live Line-up: RS3, RS3:BA, PGR2, Links04, SC:pT, Toca2, RSC2, MM3,
> SWAT, MotoGP2, Burnout3, OutRun2(Demo), FSW

> But on that note Arsenal have at least 5 GOOD british players at the
> moment, so wont need to worry about the ruling. I don't honestly
> believe Arsene or Dein went out to play a 100% non british team, it
> just happened.

5?

I can only count a couple, andeven if they're English that won't necessarily
satisfy the ruling.

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:58:13 -0000, "Marc Robbins"
<marc@NOSPAMrobbins46.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>> But on that note Arsenal have at least 5 GOOD british players at the
>> moment, so wont need to worry about the ruling. I don't honestly
>> believe Arsene or Dein went out to play a 100% non british team, it
>> just happened.
>

>5?
>
>I can only count a couple, andeven if they're English that won't necessarily
>satisfy the ruling.

ashley cole...sol campbell.........er...................
--

Chris F wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:58:13 -0000, "Marc Robbins"
> <marc@NOSPAMrobbins46.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>> But on that note Arsenal have at least 5 GOOD british players at the
>>> moment, so wont need to worry about the ruling. I don't honestly
>>> believe Arsene or Dein went out to play a 100% non british team, it
>>> just happened.
>>

>> 5?
>>
>> I can only count a couple, andeven if they're English that won't
>> necessarily satisfy the ruling.
>>
> ashley cole...sol campbell.........er...................

Of which Campbell won't qualify.

"Pete Heslop" <shadowalk@gmail.com> wrote in

> But on that note Arsenal have at least 5 GOOD british players at
> the moment, so wont need to worry about the ruling. I don't
> honestly believe Arsene or Dein went out to play a 100% non
> british team, it just happened.

Who exactly, Pete? Cole and Campbell (though Campbell won't qualify) is
the only two good English players I can think of in the Arsenal squad.
Bentley will be a third if he comes back... Pennant is off for good now
it seems.

--
PG

"PivotalG" <pivotalgubbins@nospamsent.com> wrote in message
> "Pete Heslop" <shadowalk@gmail.com> wrote in
>
>> But on that note Arsenal have at least 5 GOOD british players at
>> the moment, so wont need to worry about the ruling. I don't
>> honestly believe Arsene or Dein went out to play a 100% non
>> british team, it just happened.
>
> Who exactly, Pete? Cole and Campbell (though Campbell won't qualify) is
> the only two good English players I can think of in the Arsenal squad.
> Bentley will be a third if he comes back... Pennant is off for good now
> it seems.

Why doesn't Campbell qualify?

"Rach" <rach@thisisntmyaddress.co.uk> wrote in

>> Who exactly, Pete? Cole and Campbell (though Campbell won't
>> qualify) is the only two good English players I can think of in
>> the Arsenal squad. Bentley will be a third if he comes back...
>> Pennant is off for good now it seems.
>
> Why doesn't Campbell qualify?

I think the qualifying players have to be a product of the club.
Campbell was brought through by Spurs, not Arsenal.

I may be wrong...

--
PG

On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 00:02:56 GMT, Chris F wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 23:58:13 -0000, "Marc Robbins"
> <marc@NOSPAMrobbins46.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
>

>>> But on that note Arsenal have at least 5 GOOD british players at the
>>> moment, so wont need to worry about the ruling. I don't honestly
>>> believe Arsene or Dein went out to play a 100% non british team, it
>>> just happened.
>>

>>5?
>>
>>I can only count a couple, andeven if they're English that won't necessarily
>>satisfy the ruling.
>>
> ashley cole...sol campbell.........er...................

Justin Hoyte, David Bentley, Stuart Taylor, Ryan Smith to name a few more.

--
- / - Daniel - / -

Rach wrote:
> "PivotalG" <pivotalgubbins@nospamsent.com> wrote in message
>> "Pete Heslop" <shadowalk@gmail.com> wrote in
>>
>>> But on that note Arsenal have at least 5 GOOD british players at
>>> the moment, so wont need to worry about the ruling. I don't
>>> honestly believe Arsene or Dein went out to play a 100% non
>>> british team, it just happened.
>>
>> Who exactly, Pete? Cole and Campbell (though Campbell won't qualify)
>> is the only two good English players I can think of in the Arsenal
>> squad. Bentley will be a third if he comes back... Pennant is off
>> for good now it seems.
>
> Why doesn't Campbell qualify?

Good point, I forgot the ruling was in the country rather than at the club.

> Justin Hoyte, David Bentley, Stuart Taylor, Ryan Smith to name a few
> more.

Erm, who?

> "Rach" <rach@thisisntmyaddress.co.uk> wrote in
>
>>> Who exactly, Pete? Cole and Campbell (though Campbell won't
>>> qualify) is the only two good English players I can think of in
>>> the Arsenal squad. Bentley will be a third if he comes back...
>>> Pennant is off for good now it seems.
>>
>> Why doesn't Campbell qualify?
>
> I think the qualifying players have to be a product of the club.
> Campbell was brought through by Spurs, not Arsenal.
>
> I may be wrong...

I think the rule is 4 british players of which 2 need to be academy (i.e.
started out WITH the club, not bought in) so Camp did def.

Hoyte and Ryan are getting a lot of games, wont be too suprised to see them
shoot through, and Stuart Taylor our English Keeper is definitely better
than almunia...

--

PivotalG wrote:
> "Rach" <rach@thisisntmyaddress.co.uk> wrote in
>
>>> Who exactly, Pete? Cole and Campbell (though Campbell won't
>>> qualify) is the only two good English players I can think of in
>>> the Arsenal squad. Bentley will be a third if he comes back...
>>> Pennant is off for good now it seems.
>>
>> Why doesn't Campbell qualify?
>
> I think the qualifying players have to be a product of the club.
> Campbell was brought through by Spurs, not Arsenal.
>
> I may be wrong...

It appears the ruling is:

2 players trained at your club between the ages of 18-21 for 3 years.
2 players trained in your country between the ages of 18-21 for 3 years.

So Cole, Taylor, Bentley etc... would qualify as club trained, while
Campbell (possibly Vieria - how old was in when he joined) would count as he
was trained by Spurs, so Fabregras might count in 3 years?

Though this does mean that clubs can charge more for a qualifing player to
teams with not enough players.

Though with the rule being 2club + 2country even Chelsea qualify (Huth and
Terry, and Lampard and Johnson, Cole)

--
Michael Murray

Vieira joined us back in 1996 when he was aged 20 I believe

his birth day is 23rd June 76 so yeah im pretty sure.

Toure Signed for us in 2002 aged 20 so qualifies.

Thierry henry sadly was 22 *sighs*

Reyes is under 21 still, flamini too.

Pennant could play for us still, Bentley too.

So we do have a few players that will 100% go by this.
--

Pete Heslop wrote:
> Vieira joined us back in 1996 when he was aged 20 I believe
>
> his birth day is 23rd June 76 so yeah im pretty sure.
>
> Toure Signed for us in 2002 aged 20 so qualifies.

Neither of them qualify, as the rule states that they must have trained at
the club for 3 years between the ages of 15 and 21(?), I'm sure it's 21.

--
Hamish

Life is not about how fast you run, or how high you climb, but how well
you bounce.

Pete Heslop wrote:
> "PivotalG" <pivotalgubbins@nospamsent.com> wrote in message
>> "Rach" <rach@thisisntmyaddress.co.uk> wrote in

>>> Why doesn't Campbell qualify?
>>
>> I think the qualifying players have to be a product of the club.
>> Campbell was brought through by Spurs, not Arsenal.
>>
>> I may be wrong...
>>

> I think the rule is 4 british players of which 2 need to be academy
> (i.e. started out WITH the club, not bought in) so Camp did def.

They can be bought in, as long as they train at the club ( read academy )
for the 3 years stipulated in the rule between the ages in the afore
mentioned rule

> Hoyte and Ryan are getting a lot of games, wont be too suprised to
> see them shoot through, and Stuart Taylor our English Keeper is
> definitely better than almunia..

Yep there is going to be some major rejigging of the 25 man squads for next
years UCL and UEFA cups. At every club ;-)

--

Pete Heslop wrote:
> Vieira joined us back in 1996 when he was aged 20 I believe
>
> his birth day is 23rd June 76 so yeah im pretty sure.
>
> Toure Signed for us in 2002 aged 20 so qualifies.

How can he have trained for 3 years before the age of 21?

Hamish wrote:
> Pete Heslop wrote:
>> Vieira joined us back in 1996 when he was aged 20 I believe
>>
>> his birth day is 23rd June 76 so yeah im pretty sure.
>>
>> Toure Signed for us in 2002 aged 20 so qualifies.
>

> Neither of them qualify, as the rule states that they must have
> trained at the club for 3 years between the ages of 15 and 21(?), I'm
> sure it's 21.

I take it the 3 year rule means you must have been at the club for 3 years
before you are 22, actually thinking about it that way does make more sense,
as you are not generaly an acadmeny player over the age of 21.

--
Michael Murray

Michael Murray wrote:
> Hamish wrote:
>> Pete Heslop wrote:
>>> Vieira joined us back in 1996 when he was aged 20 I believe
>>>
>>> his birth day is 23rd June 76 so yeah im pretty sure.
>>>
>>> Toure Signed for us in 2002 aged 20 so qualifies.
>>

>> Neither of them qualify, as the rule states that they must have
>> trained at the club for 3 years between the ages of 15 and 21(?), I'm
>> sure it's 21.
>
> I take it the 3 year rule means you must have been at the club for 3
> years before you are 22, actually thinking about it that way does
> make more sense, as you are not generaly an acadmeny player over the
> age of 21.

"Uefa defines a club-trained player as one who has been registered for a
minimum of three seasons with the club between the age of 15 and 21."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/4233353.stm

--

Hamish wrote:
> Pete Heslop wrote:
>> "PivotalG" <pivotalgubbins@nospamsent.com> wrote in message
>>> "Rach" <rach@thisisntmyaddress.co.uk> wrote in

>>> I think the qualifying players have to be a product of the club.
>>> Campbell was brought through by Spurs, not Arsenal.
>>>
>>> I may be wrong...
>>>

>> I think the rule is 4 british players of which 2 need to be academy
>> (i.e. started out WITH the club, not bought in) so Camp did def.
>

> They can be bought in, as long as they train at the club ( read
> academy ) for the 3 years stipulated in the rule between the ages in
> the afore mentioned rule
>

>> Hoyte and Ryan are getting a lot of games, wont be too suprised to
>> see them shoot through, and Stuart Taylor our English Keeper is
>> definitely better than almunia..
>
> Yep there is going to be some major rejigging of the 25 man squads
> for next years UCL and UEFA cups. At every club ;-)

Man Utd are fine:

Man U Academy players: Scholes, Brown, G. Neville, P. Neville, O'Shea,
Flecther, and Giggs and Ronaldo after next season.
Other English Based Academy players: Carroll (Came from Wigan), Ferdinard,
Smith, and Rooney.
So I'd be quite happy for UEFA to make it 10 players in the 22 next season
:)

--
Michael Murray

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:29:23 -0000, Marc Robbins wrote:

>> Justin Hoyte, David Bentley, Stuart Taylor, Ryan Smith to name a few
>> more.
>
> Erm, who?

Justin Hoyte - England U21 international, made appearances in the
Premiership and Champions League this season.

David Bentley - I think you know about him.

Stuart Taylor - Had a bad time with injuries last season and so was sent on
loan to Leicester after regaining fitness earlier in the season to get some
games.

Ryan Smith - Played in the Carling Cup last season, making his debut at 16.
Played this season in the same competition. Superb young young player and
he will get into the first team over the next couple of seasons, mark my
words.

--
- / - Daniel - / -

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 01:52:24 GMT, Pete Heslop wrote:

> Vieira joined us back in 1996 when he was aged 20 I believe
>
> his birth day is 23rd June 76 so yeah im pretty sure.

He was 20.

> Toure Signed for us in 2002 aged 20 so qualifies.
>
> Thierry henry sadly was 22 *sighs*
>
> Reyes is under 21 still, flamini too.

None of these will qualify.

> Pennant could play for us still, Bentley too.

Pennant won't play for Arsenal again.

> So we do have a few players that will 100% go by this.

I'm confident we'll be able to fill the quota.

--
- / - Daniel - / -

Daniel Marsh wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 00:29:23 -0000, Marc Robbins wrote:
>
>>> Justin Hoyte, David Bentley, Stuart Taylor, Ryan Smith to name a few
>>> more.
>>
>> Erm, who?
>
> Justin Hoyte - England U21 international, made appearances in the
> Premiership and Champions League this season.
>
> David Bentley - I think you know about him.
>
> Stuart Taylor - Had a bad time with injuries last season and so was
> sent on loan to Leicester after regaining fitness earlier in the
> season to get some games.
>
> Ryan Smith - Played in the Carling Cup last season, making his debut
> at 16. Played this season in the same competition. Superb young
> young player and he will get into the first team over the next couple
> of seasons, mark my words.

The original question stands.