pci GF4 vs. agp GF2

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
They both suck, but what is better, a PCI GF4 MX440 64 MB or an AGP GF2 MX400 64 MB?

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II

pauldh

Illustrious
Well, I agree with your first 3 words. My answer isn't what you wanted, but neither is worth considering if you have an AGP slot, and the PCI GF4MX440 is better if you don't have AGP. :smile:

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt

pauldh

Illustrious
If you have both and want to know which is best, try them out and see for yourself. Fun project for you.

If someone is going to give you either one, choose the PCI as it isn't bad for a PCI card and could be of use for some non-AGP mobos, while the GF2MX is a worthless AGP card selling for about $20 new now. (EDIT:yup, PCI one currently costs 2-3 times more)

If you are thinking of buying either, forget about it as yes, they both suck.

If you really just want to know how one would perform against the other, try google searching the PCI card for reviews and maybe they compare it to some slower AGP's.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Pauldh on 04/12/04 06:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
I currently have the GF2 on my 3rd LAN computer... a friend might toss the pci GF4 for a pci ATI 9100, and I was wondering if the pci card would make my third rig a little better... my real question was whether the pci vs. agp factor would just not make it worth it, and from the above comments, especially if my friend might be able to actually get something for his pci card...

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II

pauldh

Illustrious
I did some quick searching after posting before but found no good perfomance number to go by to answer that question. There have got to be more recent PCI video card reviews out there, but all I found was ancient ones.

Yes, your friend should get mor money for his PCI card than you would for your GF2 AGP. but you never know.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt