I would first like to say that I appreciate the help you will give me and the help you generate on a daily basis, this forum is a beacon of knowledge to all experts and would-be experts like myself. That being said, I am currently on the market to pick up a laptop to fulfil two roles: 1) Gaming and 2) generic computer activities, ie internet surfing, youtube, excel, powerpoint.
I know most of you would probably tell me to build a Desktop and I would like nothing more to do that, but I am currently in a move for work and wont be practical for me to order/build a new desktop for some time (6months to a year). So I plan on using this laptop while away from home and a stop gap until I have time to get my desktop.
1. What is your budget? $1000-1500, Altough if I can get away with cheaper I am all for it since I plan on building a desktop soon-ish
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Size matters, so I was hoping for nothing less than 15 unless there are very compelling reasons.
3. What screen resolution do you want? Decent....
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Partical Desktop replacement that I can take on deployment/TDY
5. How much battery life do you need? It will most likely be plugged in without its battery in for most of the time.
6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? I would like to be able to play games like BF3 and Diablo 3 on it, not necessarily on High but I would like good FPS
7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.) Internet surfing
8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? I have externals so around 200-250Gigs
9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. I am a fan of xoticpc.com, which is where my current laptop is from.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? as long as possibl
11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Standard, no need for BluRay
12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Xoticpc, Sager,ASUS are good brands that I have heard of
13. What country do you live in? USA
14. Please tell us any additional information if needed. Thanks for the help.
Sager NP9150 / Clevo P150EM
- 15.6” FHD 16:9 LED Backlit Wide screen (1920x1080) Super Clear Glare Type Screen (SKU - S1R319)
- NO Professional Monitor Color Calibration
- Standard Dead Pixel Policy
- Sager - 3rd Generation Intel® Ivy Bridge Core™ i7-3610QM (2.3GHz - 3.3GHz, 6MB Intel® Smart Cache, 45W Max TDP) (SKU – S2R174)
- - IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
- AMD Radeon HD 7970M (2048MB) GDDR5 DX11 [User Upgradeable] (ETA: June) (SKU - S3R155)
- No Video Adapter
- No External Mobile Display
- 16GB - DDR3 1600MHz Dual Channel Memory (4 SODIMMS) (SKU - S4P761)
- Sager Branding
- Standard Finish
- No mSATA SSD
- 128gb Crucial M4 Series Solid State Drive (SSD2 Serial-ATA III) (SKU - S5R061)
- Combo Dual Layer SuperMulti DVDRW/CDRW Drive w/ Software (When selecting a Hard Drive in the Optical Bay, No Optical Drive is Included) (SKU - S7R455)
- No Extra Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy
- No Back Up Hard Drive
- NO External USB Optical Drive
- Internal 9-in-1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD/Mini SD/SDHC/SDXC/MS/MS Pro/MS Duo)
- No Back Up Software
- Bluetooth Included (See “Wireless Network” Section Below)
- Sager - Built-in 802.11 Wireless B/G/N - Stock Wireless Card + Bluetooth (SKU - S8R110)
- No Network Accessory
- Built in 2.0 Megapixel Camera
- No TV Tuner
- Sound Blaster Compatible 3D Audio - Included
- No Carrying Case
- Smart Li-ion Battery (8-Cell)
- No Car Adapter
- No Spare AC Adapter
- No Dock/Hub/Adapter
- Integrated Fingerprint Reader
- No Headset
- No External Keyboard
- Standard Sager/Clevo Non Chiclet Backlit Keyboard
- No External Mouse
- No Notebook Cooler
- No Thanks, Please do not Overclock my system (Overclocking will add 3-6 business days to build time)
- No Operating System Redline Boost
- No Operating System Standard - Drivers & Utility Software Only
- No Antivirus Essentials Software Bundle
- No Office Software
- No Software Bundle
I just bought an Asus N53S-ES72 for $900 on amazon and Im pretty happy with its performance in general. The reasonable price for the performance and parts was why I chose to purchase this model and so far so good. i7 2670qm, gt630m ( 2gb, ddr-3 ), 15.6 led-lcd, 1080 resolution are a few of the technical specs that really attracted me to this pc.