ATI Driver woes

metalmick

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Hi all,

I've been trying to get my Radeon 9600 Pro to install on Win XP with the latest drivers for a while now.

Keep getting error message, :"The ATI Control Panel failed to initialize...drivers not installed..." or similar. Notably, the ancient drivers supplied with the card install fine.

However, I have to reduce the acceleration settings to disable Direct3D/OpenGL to get the latest version of Canvas 9 to launch without sending my system into reboot.

I need to get the driver issue addresed fairly promptly.

I have a Leadtek K7ncr18G Pro motherboard which has the nVidia 440MX chip installed.

Scanning the web, I've found a variety of solutions put forth, but I'd rather tap the expertise of this forum prior to taking any of those steps.

All suggestions for a solution will be considered.

Cheers,

Michael

metalmick

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Hi,

I have checked, and checked, and checked for a setting in the BIOS where I can disable the onboard chip, but there doesn't seem to be one - there is no mention of it in the handbook. If you're familiar with this board and can point me towards where I do it, I'd be grateful, for I've suspected that's part of the problem - I have a listing of a secondary 9600 display adapter in the Device Manager.

I have tried to locate a BIOS update that might do the trick, but the only ones on the Leadtek site are for a more up-to-date version of my board, and I get an error message when I try to flash the BIOS with them.

Many thanks for taking the time out to help with this.

Cheers,

Michael

Make sure you have the latest mobo chipset drivers installed. There should be some out there. Try googling. Also maybe look for the chipset maker itself (didn't check to see which it was).

Not sure if you would need to run something like driver cleaner for onboard or not, but you may wish to make sure there are no remnants of nV's detonators/forcewares there.

Also make sure that when your machine is fresh and ready to install that you unplug/disable the internet connection and cancel any attempts by MS to try and install the card/agp drivers itself, they tend to cause issues.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

metalmick

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2004
Hi all,

Googled my heart out looking for drivers - found what might be one on Zdnet.de. I'll try it, but I'm not hopeful of finding a solution to this. I'm starting to think there is some error in my card, although that doesn't explain why the 4.1 or 4.2 drivers won't install properly. Even after using a utility to scrub away all resude of nVidia drivers.

I have a second machine that I tried the card in and got identical results to those I've described previously: Canvas 9 won't lalunch, causing a reboot, ATI Control Panel won't load as it is in a snit.

I tend to think that, coupled with an MX440 card running fine on either machine and not spitting the dummy (pacifier) when I launch Canvas, is indicative of perhaps an issue with the card itself that no BIOS flashing will overcome.

If I run out of enthusiasm tonight, then tomorrow I'll run out and get an nVidia card, and sell this Radeon if it's okay, or otherwise dispose of it if not. It's not worth the trouble.

Still, any thoughts or suggestions, I'd be grateful to hear.

Many thanks for your efforts,

Michael

Titanion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2002
In bios, try initial video to pci...

If you cannot disable it in bios, at least disable it in your system/device manager... do both video adapters show up there?

how much ram shows up in directx... i.e., is any missing, like devoted to onboard video?

<font color=red><b>The mind is in its own place, and in itself
Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n.</b></font color=red>
John Milton, <i>Paradise Lost</i>, Book II