Floppy disk won't work with XP NTFS

How can I get the floppy working?...It worked when I used to dual boot (98
on C:, XP on D: and in FAT32). I got a new computer with XP on C: in NTFS
and the floppy requests a format, which takes forever, then just sits there
when I try to put a file on the disk... Does this mean a reformat and put
the hard drive in FAT32? I checked the BIOS and all seems normal...any
suggestions?

(PLEASE...no responses about how I don't need a floppy drive...cos I DO!)
THanks IA

--
Robbie
http://www3.nbnet.nb.ca/rmorris/ollie.htm

    In news:eSf9e.16870$Ln.778973@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca,
    Robbie <rmorris@nbnet.nb.ca> had this to say:

    > How can I get the floppy working?...It worked when I used to dual
    > boot (98 on C:, XP on D: and in FAT32). I got a new computer with XP
    > on C: in NTFS and the floppy requests a format, which takes forever,
    > then just sits there when I try to put a file on the disk... Does
    > this mean a reformat and put the hard drive in FAT32? I checked the
    > BIOS and all seems normal...any suggestions?
    >
    > (PLEASE...no responses about how I don't need a floppy drive...cos I
    > DO!) THanks IA

    Open your BIOS settings and disable three mode floppy support and then use
    only the 1.44 MB floppies. It's the easiest way.

    Galen

    Thanks for reply Galen... I did check the BIOS and settings are right, i
    think. I don't see anywhere 3 mode support in BIOS, but I am able to change
    to various types of floppy's, so it is set at 3 1/2in Floppy 1.44mb.
    Another poster sent me this link...it may be my answer...
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060

    --

    In news:LCp9e.16985$Ln.789279@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca,
    Robbie <rmorris@nbnet.nb.ca> had this to say:

    > Thanks for reply Galen... I did check the BIOS and settings are
    > right, i think. I don't see anywhere 3 mode support in BIOS, but I am
    > able to change to various types of floppy's, so it is set at 3 1/2in
    > Floppy 1.44mb. Another poster sent me this link...it may be my
    > answer...
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;140060

    It might be your answer but the most common problem is that Windows XP only
    supports the 1.44 MB floppies with it's drivers. (Though I guess you can get
    the 2 MB floppies too.) Newer BIOS setup utilities offer the choice to
    support three mode floppies in them. If this is the case with your BIOS then
    you could do that and if that's your problem it will cure it. Another
    alternative has been to use a different driver which is supposed to work.

    This is specifically for a VIA though I'm told it will work with most any
    floppy drive out there:

    http://downloads.viaarena.com/WinXPE/Oct02/XPe_3mflp132_v10.zip

    Galen

Floppy Disk Windows XP