someone got a deal on this computer space

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Personally, I think Space wars is a much better game play wise.
Much deeper, and cheaper price wise to.
Only thing I think Computer space has going for it, is the cabinet looks
cool and it's the first video game.
Price wise I think it's over priced, IMO.

Tennis for two 1958 & space war 1962 & Chase 1967 were actually designed
before Computer space 1971.
They just weren't produced in to a video game at that point.

Troy,

"Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote:

>Personally, I think Space wars is a much better game play wise.
>Much deeper, and cheaper price wise to.

I thought CS had pretty good gameplay at one time, and I fed a lot of
quarters into one. Of course, at the time, the only other video game
around was Pong.

To reply, please remove one letter from each side of "@"
Spammers are VERMIN. Please kill them all.

Well Troy, I just have to respond, given I have done my research on
Computer Space.....
When trying to evaluate how much one is worth, it's very much a case
of what kind of a collector are you? Admittedly Space Wars is more
fun, I whole-heartedly agree. And Space Wars is actually a remake of
Space War written for the PDP-1 back in 1962.
Buuuut for a true history buff, Computer Space gets my nod. It's the
first commercial arcade video game (unless you count Galaxy Game),
it's got a sexy cabinet unlike any other, and it got its moment of
cinematic fame in Soylent Green. How can you not love it?
Heh heh heh, sorry, I bought one so I get a little over zealous in
talking about the game.
The value though is very much a relative thing. There aren't many of
these left in the world (the game was not very successful because it
is so lousy) and if you find one whose fiberglass cabinet is in good
condition it's a treasure. Having said that, I've known fully working,
excellent condition machines that have sold anywhere from $600 to
$3500! (the aforementioned unit on eBay is actually quite a common
final bid, believe it or not).
So it's all a matter of how much a piece of history is worth to you.
By the way, I have devoted an entire website to this machine, if
you're interested, check it out.
http://www.computerspacefan.com

Troy

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2003

Nice website, I can see your the biggest computer space fan I have ever
seen.
I guess they do have that nostalgic appealed, after all been the first video
game.
And there best feature is their looks and rareness. not much for game play.
But they do look nice and they pretty much started it all right?
Where would we be without it? We had to start somewhere.
Thank god for the video revolution.

Troy,