Install Error

In Windows XP, when attempting to reinstall Norton AntiVirus 2004 from the
manufacturer's CD, I receive the following message:

"Error 1324. The folder path 'My Pictures' contains an invalid character".
Therefore, it cannot install the program.

Please advise.
6 answers Last reply
More about install error

    Advice: http://www.symantec.com

    --

    Star Fleet Admiral Q @ your Service!

    http://www.google.com
    Google is your "Friend"

    http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=edfjl9zNFHA.164%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl&output=gplain

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    "Robert Sharon" <rcsharon@att.net> wrote in message
    > In Windows XP, when attempting to reinstall Norton AntiVirus 2004 from the
    > manufacturer's CD, I receive the following message:
    >
    > "Error 1324. The folder path 'My Pictures' contains an invalid character".
    > Therefore, it cannot install the program.
    >
    > Please advise.

    I opened the following link and then searched the Registry for 'My Pictures'
    at the identified location. However, I could only find 'My Documents' at
    "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell
    Folders" in the right pane and nothing identified as 'My Pictures'.

    http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=edfjl9zNFHA.164%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl&output=gplain

    > --
    > Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    > Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >

    > "Robert Sharon" <rcsharon@att.net> wrote in message
    > > In Windows XP, when attempting to reinstall Norton AntiVirus 2004 from
    the
    > > manufacturer's CD, I receive the following message:
    > >
    > > "Error 1324. The folder path 'My Pictures' contains an invalid
    character".
    > > Therefore, it cannot install the program.
    > >
    > > Please advise.

    Robert,

    Check the My Pictures path here:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
    Folders

    If you have plans to redirect the My Pictures folder, then do it here by
    creating a new "My Pictures" value:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
    Shell Folders

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    >I opened the following link and then searched the Registry for 'My
    >Pictures'
    > at the identified location. However, I could only find 'My Documents' at
    > "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell
    > Folders" in the right pane and nothing identified as 'My Pictures'.

    > http://groups.google.co.in/groups?selm=edfjl9zNFHA.164%40TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl&output=gplain
    >>
    >> --
    >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    >> Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
    >>

    >> "Robert Sharon" <rcsharon@att.net> wrote in message
    >> > In Windows XP, when attempting to reinstall Norton AntiVirus 2004 from
    > the
    >> > manufacturer's CD, I receive the following message:
    >> >
    >> > "Error 1324. The folder path 'My Pictures' contains an invalid
    > character".
    >> > Therefore, it cannot install the program.
    >> >
    >> > Please advise.

    "Error 1324. The folder path 'Documents and Settings' contains an invalid
    character" error message when you install Office 2000:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q325069&

    Error: "Error 1324: The folder path <folder name> contains an invalid
    character" during installation or uninstallation:
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2003071010370939?Open&src=bar_sch_nam&docid=2001050290226665&nsf=nip.nsf&view=1c88841b1a46fa8885256ee600534d6c&dtype=&prod=&ver=&osv=&osv_lvl=

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Robert Sharon wrote:
    > In Windows XP, when attempting to reinstall Norton AntiVirus 2004
    from the
    > manufacturer's CD, I receive the following message:
    >
    > "Error 1324. The folder path 'My Pictures' contains an invalid
    character".
    > Therefore, it cannot install the program.
    >
    > Please advise.

    I ran into the same error message when upgrading NAV 2004 to NAV 2005.
    Problem was with a mapped network drive that had been disconnected on
    the client end due to a permissions change on the share itself. After
    re-establishing the drive mapping using the same driver-letter, the
    installation began functioning again after I answered the error dialog
    box with Retry.

    HTH
    JMWarden

Windows XP