Someone tell me why this isn't a good buy

Last response: in Computer Brands
February 10, 2005 5:03:10 PM

Today only $350 gets you a Dell 3000
Even though I got two pcs I bought this one. What the hell I couldn't
pass it up for that price. Maybe I'll flip a coin between family
members to see who gets it.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/...

More about : good buy

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 8:36:11 PM

tq144@msn.com wrote:
>Today only $350 gets you a Dell 3000
>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/...

No, today $500 gets you the Dell and a chance at a $150 rebate
eventually. IMHO, the machine is lacking a bit:

Slow FSB
XP Home
Minimal memory
Non-optical mouse
Kinda small hard drive
No DVD-Rom
No CD-R/W software
No floppy
No speakers
No modem

Add antivirus software, Office, etc to your requirements.

On the plus side, the final price is pretty good, and it comes with a
monitor. If I wanted a low-end machine that was going to be replaced
in (say) 3 years rather than 5 and I could scrounge the 'missing' bits
I might buy it.

On The Other Tentacle, if I thought I might have a use for such a
computer in 3-6 months I'd wait and see what deals were available
then...
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 10:23:22 PM

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> tq144@msn.com wrote:
>>Today only $350 gets you a Dell 3000
>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/...
>
> No, today $500 gets you the Dell and a chance at a $150 rebate
> eventually. IMHO, the machine is lacking a bit:
>
> Slow FSB
> XP Home
> Minimal memory
> Non-optical mouse
> Kinda small hard drive
> No DVD-Rom
> No CD-R/W software
> No floppy
> No speakers
> No modem
>
> Add antivirus software, Office, etc to your requirements.
>
> On the plus side, the final price is pretty good, and it comes with a
> monitor. If I wanted a low-end machine that was going to be replaced
> in (say) 3 years rather than 5 and I could scrounge the 'missing' bits
> I might buy it.
>
> On The Other Tentacle, if I thought I might have a use for such a
> computer in 3-6 months I'd wait and see what deals were available
> then...

I've purchased 6 Dells with rebate.

Every one was paid promptly. Just follow the directions.

Most people that complain didn't follow the directions.

Tom
February 10, 2005 10:52:54 PM

Here we go again! The Dell bandwagon.

> <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
>> tq144@msn.com wrote:
>>>Today only $350 gets you a Dell 3000
>>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/...
>>
>> No, today $500 gets you the Dell and a chance at a $150 rebate
>> eventually. IMHO, the machine is lacking a bit:
>>
>> Slow FSB
>> XP Home
>> Minimal memory
>> Non-optical mouse
>> Kinda small hard drive
>> No DVD-Rom
>> No CD-R/W software
>> No floppy
>> No speakers
>> No modem
>>
>> Add antivirus software, Office, etc to your requirements.
>>
>> On the plus side, the final price is pretty good, and it comes with a
>> monitor. If I wanted a low-end machine that was going to be replaced
>> in (say) 3 years rather than 5 and I could scrounge the 'missing' bits
>> I might buy it.
>>
>> On The Other Tentacle, if I thought I might have a use for such a
>> computer in 3-6 months I'd wait and see what deals were available
>> then...
>>

> I've purchased 6 Dells with rebate.
>
> Every one was paid promptly. Just follow the directions.
>
> Most people that complain didn't follow the directions.
>
> Tom

Anonymous
February 10, 2005 10:52:55 PM

"Stefon" <spardo@msn.com> wrote in message news:cqTOd.57$d85.42@fe03.lga...
> Here we go again! The Dell bandwagon.

There's good, and there's bad. So get over it.

Stew
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 11:12:08 PM

Yes, those darn facts again. They get in the way of your odd hatred, don't
they.

"Stefon" <spardo@msn.com> wrote in message news:cqTOd.57$d85.42@fe03.lga...
> Here we go again! The Dell bandwagon.
>>
>> <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
>>>
>>> No, today $500 gets you the Dell and a chance at a $150 rebate
>>> eventually. IMHO, the machine is lacking a bit:
>>>
>>> Slow FSB
>>> XP Home
>>> Minimal memory
>>> Non-optical mouse
>>> Kinda small hard drive
>>> No DVD-Rom
>>> No CD-R/W software
>>> No floppy
>>> No speakers
>>> No modem
>>>
>>> Add antivirus software, Office, etc to your requirements.
>>>
>>> On the plus side, the final price is pretty good, and it comes with a
>>> monitor. If I wanted a low-end machine that was going to be replaced
>>> in (say) 3 years rather than 5 and I could scrounge the 'missing' bits
>>> I might buy it.
>>>
>>> On The Other Tentacle, if I thought I might have a use for such a
>>> computer in 3-6 months I'd wait and see what deals were available
>>> then...
>>>

>> I've purchased 6 Dells with rebate.
>>
>> Every one was paid promptly. Just follow the directions.
>>
>> Most people that complain didn't follow the directions.
>>
>> Tom

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:36:11 AM

> "Stefon" <spardo@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Here we go again! The Dell bandwagon.
>

> There's good, and there's bad. So get over it.
>

> Stew

Actually, it's a very fine bandwagon. After all, they're in Austin, the
live music capital of the world!
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:45:47 AM

> Here we go again! The Dell bandwagon.

Call it what you may, my last purchase, 11/30/2004 brought me a rebate
12/22/2004. I didn't get the computer delivered until 12/02/2004, so
the rebate request didn't get mailed until 12/03/2004. I am still
waiting for a Belkin rebate that was mailed on the same date and is
being serviced by the same rebate company - go figure.

Tom J
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 1:25:36 AM

"Tom J" <tomj_ga@despammed.com> wrote in message

> "Stefon" <spardo@msn.com> wrote in message
>> Here we go again! The Dell bandwagon.
>
> Call it what you may, my last purchase, 11/30/2004 brought me a rebate
> 12/22/2004. I didn't get the computer delivered until 12/02/2004, so the
> rebate request didn't get mailed until 12/03/2004. I am still waiting for
> a Belkin rebate that was mailed on the same date and is being serviced by
> the same rebate company - go figure.
>
> Tom J

I particularly love the trolls that just throw stones without anything of
value to add. Tell us your problem. We can help

And I love the name Stefon. So European

Tom
(OK, Tom, I can't fix the Belkin rebate)
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 5:00:50 AM

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message news:q0on011ucv9c7714k22pofsc82tgo3jld5@4ax.com...
> tq144@msn.com wrote:
>>Today only $350 gets you a Dell 3000
>>http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/...
>
> No, today $500 gets you the Dell and a chance at a $150 rebate
> eventually. IMHO, the machine is lacking a bit:
>
> Slow FSB

and although you DO get a P4 with 1MB L2, it is a 2.8GHz and
it appears to lack HT.

> XP Home
> Minimal memory

Integrated Graphics consumes up to 64MB of that
Just two DIMM slots.

I'm not sure what to make of product details and learn more pages
which suggest that 256MB is both the min and *max* for shared
single channel configs. Surely that can't be right (?). For reference:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/learnmore/learnmore.asp...

> Non-optical mouse
> Kinda small hard drive

PATA, with 2MB buffer

> No DVD-Rom
> No CD-R/W software

I believe it includes Sonic RecordNow

> No floppy
> No speakers
> No modem

Stuck with Integrated graphics or PCI graphics (no AGP or PCIe).
865GV chipset with older integrated graphics, integrated audio, etc.
17" non-flat CRT buys you just 16" viewable.

I think $350 is pretty good for a name brand 2.8GHz P4 with 17"
CRT and 2-year on-site warranty. But the system's limitations have
to be weighed against one's needs.
February 11, 2005 1:50:35 PM

tq144@msn.com wrote:
> Today only $350 gets you a Dell 3000
> Even though I got two pcs I bought this one. What the hell I couldn't
> pass it up for that price. Maybe I'll flip a coin between family
> members to see who gets it.

It would be a much better deal if you could upgrade this configuration.
The processor is not bad, as i have the same. But i have it with 512mb
of ram and an agp slot. And a 160gig hard drive. I paid $775.00 for
this set up 14 months ago, delivered. Which at the time was a darn good
deal. But the processor alone does not make the machine, and this
computer configured as is for $350 without an uggrade option is not
such a great deal if you look closer. It's a square deal, but not
great. And if you think this is square(which it is for what thier
giving you)you should see how much Dell is charging for the same system
on their regular desktop page under the heading "Advanced Processor
Solution". For a 2.8a 533fsb, for goodness sakes! It's good for a
laugh.
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 4:10:29 PM

Ben Myers wrote:

> A little off topic lately, aren't all of you? ... Ben Myers

I'm sorry. What was the question? <g>

Notan
February 12, 2005 1:55:33 AM

<snip>
And whats wrong with us Europeans ???????

:)

> And I love the name Stefon. So European
>
> Tom
> (OK, Tom, I can't fix the Belkin rebate)

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:55:34 AM

Tom is a very closed minded and prejudice person. He used to teach school.
Is that scary or what? No wonder the education system is so screwed up in
our country.
"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> <snip>
> And whats wrong with us Europeans ???????
>
> :)
>
>> And I love the name Stefon. So European
>>
>> Tom
>> (OK, Tom, I can't fix the Belkin rebate)

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:55:34 AM

How did you take my comment as an insult to Europeans?

Just the opposite! The US is a very closed community -- just look who we
elected President!

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> <snip>
> And whats wrong with us Europeans ???????
>
> :)
>
>> And I love the name Stefon. So European
>>
>> Tom
>> (OK, Tom, I can't fix the Belkin rebate)

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:55:35 AM

Share with me ONCE that I have shown any prejudice?

Considering my children are different colors, I think it would come as a BIG
surprise to them.

It's funny how the attacks get personal. I work my butt off here to help
people with their problems and these trolls jump in and slam me.

Tom
"Alex N." <alnel11@msn.net> wrote in message
> Tom is a very closed minded and prejudice person. He used to teach school.
> Is that scary or what? No wonder the education system is so screwed up in
> our country.
> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> <snip>
>> And whats wrong with us Europeans ???????
>>
>> :)
>>
>>> And I love the name Stefon. So European
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> (OK, Tom, I can't fix the Belkin rebate)

February 12, 2005 1:55:36 AM

Tom Scales wrote:

> Share with me ONCE that I have shown any prejudice?
>
> Considering my children are different colors,

Jest like mah kids - red, white & blue! You go, Tom.
February 12, 2005 3:12:28 PM

Ok this is getting far to out of hand, 1stly my comment Tom was meant as
tongue in cheek hence the :)  in my post and secondly you ask How did you
take my comment as an insult to Europeans? ................"And I love the
name Stefon. So European" so just lighten up no ones having a pop at you.

If I really wanted a pop at name prenunciation I'd pick on the former US
secretary of State for his pronunciation of his Christian name Colin Powell
just goes to shoe two nations seperated by a common languae

"Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> <snip>
> And whats wrong with us Europeans ???????
>
> :)
>
>> And I love the name Stefon. So European
>>
>> Tom
>> (OK, Tom, I can't fix the Belkin rebate)

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 3:12:29 PM

Yes, it just goes to shoe :)

> Ok this is getting far to out of hand, 1stly my comment Tom was meant as
> tongue in cheek hence the :)  in my post and secondly you ask How did you
> take my comment as an insult to Europeans? ................"And I love the
> name Stefon. So European" so just lighten up no ones having a pop at you.
>
> If I really wanted a pop at name prenunciation I'd pick on the former US
> secretary of State for his pronunciation of his Christian name Colin
> Powell just goes to shoe two nations seperated by a common languae
>
> "Fixer" <steve@kelly90.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>> <snip>
>> And whats wrong with us Europeans ???????
>>
>> :)
>>
>>> And I love the name Stefon. So European
>>>
>>> Tom
>>> (OK, Tom, I can't fix the Belkin rebate)

Anonymous
February 12, 2005 4:23:38 PM

Just add one or two sticks of 512MB and no worry about the memory.
As for the graphics the purchase will not be for anyone who's into
gaming.
I know the PC is for nothing heavy gaming, movie editing, photoshop, or
anything like that. It's a simple family PC. And for that price you
can't beat it.
$350.

Is there a better buy on the market that has a P4 2.8 and a 17 inch
monitor?
for that price?
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 7:47:41 PM

tq144@msn.com wrote:
>Just add one or two sticks of 512MB and no worry about the memory.

>$350.

Plus $160 for the extra memory. Plenty of $500 PCs out there...
February 12, 2005 10:30:49 PM

jd wrote:
> tq144@msn.com wrote:
> > Today only $350 gets you a Dell 3000
> > Even though I got two pcs I bought this one. What the hell I
couldn't
> > pass it up for that price. Maybe I'll flip a coin between family
> > members to see who gets it.
> >

> It would be a much better deal if you could upgrade this
configuration.

I've been wondering about this machine, but I suspect I'm totally off
topic;
I've got an 1995 Dell Dimension XPS with a Pentium 100 that has dual
boot capability; DOS 6.2 and Win 3.1. I hardly ever use the machine
since I've retired, but I hate to give it up. Can I clone the contents
to the new
Dell 3000 and be able to use it? I'm afraid the old Dell may not boot
one of these days. Yeah, I know better, but it seems like a good
project. I *do* expect to get flamed on this. :)
Anonymous
February 13, 2005 7:41:54 AM

My first reaction is to laugh. My second reaction is to ask what the point is
to run an operating system with a 64MB limit on a computer with at least 256MB?
My third reaction is that any attempt to run Win 3.1 on a Dimension 3000 would
cripple Windows itself for lack of software drivers to support all the new
hardware. There would be no video or audio drivers, probably no modem or
Ethernet drivers, and you'd be lucky if Windows 3.1 found the IDE controller at
all. So you'd end up running Windows 3.1 in safe mode, which is about the only
way it would ever boot up. Safe mode is pretty crippled with 640x480x16 color
graphics.

Either save your money, or copy whatever data you need from the old Dimension
XPS horse onto the brand spanking new Dimension 3000. If you buy the Dimension
3000, take the other old hoss out behind the barn and shoot it in the
motherboard to put it out of its misery. Or give it to someone who wants to set
up a Linux-based firewall-router... Ben Myers

On 12 Feb 2005 19:30:49 -0800, "Gene" <eherbt@excite.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
>I've been wondering about this machine, but I suspect I'm totally off
>topic;
>I've got an 1995 Dell Dimension XPS with a Pentium 100 that has dual
>boot capability; DOS 6.2 and Win 3.1. I hardly ever use the machine
>since I've retired, but I hate to give it up. Can I clone the contents
>to the new
>Dell 3000 and be able to use it? I'm afraid the old Dell may not boot
>one of these days. Yeah, I know better, but it seems like a good
>project. I *do* expect to get flamed on this. :)

Anonymous
February 13, 2005 5:10:44 PM

That'd be about as fun as me trying to install XP on my NEC Ultralite III
386/20 laptop. It is in mint condition with all accesories and I hate to
throw it away because it was a $5000 machine in it's day. Why bother?
Andy

> My first reaction is to laugh. My second reaction is to ask what the
> point is
> to run an operating system with a 64MB limit on a computer with at least
> 256MB?
> My third reaction is that any attempt to run Win 3.1 on a Dimension 3000
> would
> cripple Windows itself for lack of software drivers to support all the new
> hardware. There would be no video or audio drivers, probably no modem or
> Ethernet drivers, and you'd be lucky if Windows 3.1 found the IDE
> controller at
> all. So you'd end up running Windows 3.1 in safe mode, which is about the
> only
> way it would ever boot up. Safe mode is pretty crippled with 640x480x16
> color
> graphics.
>
> Either save your money, or copy whatever data you need from the old
> Dimension
> XPS horse onto the brand spanking new Dimension 3000. If you buy the
> Dimension
> 3000, take the other old hoss out behind the barn and shoot it in the
> motherboard to put it out of its misery. Or give it to someone who wants
> to set
> up a Linux-based firewall-router... Ben Myers
>
> On 12 Feb 2005 19:30:49 -0800, "Gene" <eherbt@excite.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>>I've been wondering about this machine, but I suspect I'm totally off
>>topic;
>>I've got an 1995 Dell Dimension XPS with a Pentium 100 that has dual
>>boot capability; DOS 6.2 and Win 3.1. I hardly ever use the machine
>>since I've retired, but I hate to give it up. Can I clone the contents
>>to the new
>>Dell 3000 and be able to use it? I'm afraid the old Dell may not boot
>>one of these days. Yeah, I know better, but it seems like a good
>>project. I *do* expect to get flamed on this. :)

Anonymous
February 16, 2005 12:44:13 PM

It's a great deal for those who don't want to ever upgrade. People who
are not PC hobbyist but
people who go online once in a while, or write letters. I still say for
that price you can't beat it.
!