Question to the Owners Of Gauntlet 1 or 2

I remember when this game first came out. Must have been 10 or 11
years old. I can remember sticking alot of money into this game with
my friends trying to beat it. Well, when I got older and found out
there was no end to the game, and no end to the second one for that
matter, it kinda pissed me off. I think if i would have known that
when I first played it, I don't think i would have put that much money
into it since the game is kinda pointless. I know alot of games back
then were all about getting a high score or seeing how far you could
get. But the games that had no ending, like Robotron 2084, Spy Hunter,
Etc. didn't let you continue once all your lives were up and thats all
cool. But with Gauntlet, it had no ending but let you continue and for
what? So what was the challenge?

Anyways, enough of the rambling and on to the question. For the ones
that own either the first one or second one, Do you own it just to have
a classic like Gauntlet in your collection or do you really play the
game?

Mike
--
http://www.freewebs.com/arcadelinks/

I had owned one years ago when I worked at Honda of America in the
early 90's. Back then $250 for a song and a dance was a steal. At
the time I'd bought a minty nice one from a distributor of a local
arcade I had earlier worked for called Alladins Castle, 'for around
$250. I bought that and an Asteroids to keep in my kitchen. Anyhow I
later sold them, stupid as I was for what I had in them, but hey I'd
bought a kitchen table and I needed the space. Anyhow at this point
I'm looking to reclaim another as a replacement, preferrably a
Gauntlet II cabinet, any condition although a conversion is far better
than an empty cab, but as I said, I'm not picky. Conversions are far
easier to restore than having a stripped cabinet. I'd say at this
point what's driving me is knowing my Classics arcade will be complete
with a Gauntlet. II was much better than one IMHO. Music was better,
a bit more diversity in levels and playability.
Looking for a Gauntlet cab in Ohio..

On 27 Mar 2005 19:08:08 -0800, "DarkMagister"
<shadowspawn@chartermi.net> wrote:

>I remember when this game first came out. Must have been 10 or 11
>years old. I can remember sticking alot of money into this game with
>my friends trying to beat it. Well, when I got older and found out
>there was no end to the game, and no end to the second one for that
>matter, it kinda pissed me off. I think if i would have known that
>when I first played it, I don't think i would have put that much money
>into it since the game is kinda pointless. I know alot of games back
>then were all about getting a high score or seeing how far you could
>get. But the games that had no ending, like Robotron 2084, Spy Hunter,
>Etc. didn't let you continue once all your lives were up and thats all
>cool. But with Gauntlet, it had no ending but let you continue and for
>what? So what was the challenge?
>
>Anyways, enough of the rambling and on to the question. For the ones
>that own either the first one or second one, Do you own it just to have
>a classic like Gauntlet in your collection or do you really play the
>game?
>

>Mike
>--
>http://www.freewebs.com/arcadelinks/

Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
http://www.kineplex.com

Prok

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2003

I have one and I just like playing it.. more fun with 2+ players though..

/brian

http://www.tutankham.com

"Zinfer" <rmassman@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I had owned one years ago when I worked at Honda of America in the
> early 90's. Back then $250 for a song and a dance was a steal. At
> the time I'd bought a minty nice one from a distributor of a local
> arcade I had earlier worked for called Alladins Castle, 'for around
> $250. I bought that and an Asteroids to keep in my kitchen. Anyhow I
> later sold them, stupid as I was for what I had in them, but hey I'd
> bought a kitchen table and I needed the space. Anyhow at this point
> I'm looking to reclaim another as a replacement, preferrably a
> Gauntlet II cabinet, any condition although a conversion is far better
> than an empty cab, but as I said, I'm not picky. Conversions are far
> easier to restore than having a stripped cabinet. I'd say at this
> point what's driving me is knowing my Classics arcade will be complete
> with a Gauntlet. II was much better than one IMHO. Music was better,
> a bit more diversity in levels and playability.
> Looking for a Gauntlet cab in Ohio..
>

> On 27 Mar 2005 19:08:08 -0800, "DarkMagister"
> <shadowspawn@chartermi.net> wrote:
>
>>I remember when this game first came out. Must have been 10 or 11
>>years old. I can remember sticking alot of money into this game with
>>my friends trying to beat it. Well, when I got older and found out
>>there was no end to the game, and no end to the second one for that
>>matter, it kinda pissed me off. I think if i would have known that
>>when I first played it, I don't think i would have put that much money
>>into it since the game is kinda pointless. I know alot of games back
>>then were all about getting a high score or seeing how far you could
>>get. But the games that had no ending, like Robotron 2084, Spy Hunter,
>>Etc. didn't let you continue once all your lives were up and thats all
>>cool. But with Gauntlet, it had no ending but let you continue and for
>>what? So what was the challenge?
>>
>>Anyways, enough of the rambling and on to the question. For the ones
>>that own either the first one or second one, Do you own it just to have
>>a classic like Gauntlet in your collection or do you really play the
>>game?
>>

>>Mike
>>--
>>http://www.freewebs.com/arcadelinks/
>>

> Kineplex Systems of Lima, Ohio
> http://www.kineplex.com

Well, you being in California and me being in Michigan kinda rules out
the idea of buying it....:(

with shipping options that are available now, it really doesn't rule it out.

I had a time traveler (a very big awkward machine) delivered to my doorstep
for $180.

Always take the time to make sure the deal won't work out. I have a bunch
of games in my arcade I never thought I would have just by taking the time
and checking out all options.

--
Mickster

Visit my website and see my arcade!!

http://mickster.freeservers.com

In article <1111979288.876011.12910@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
DarkMagister <shadowspawn@chartermi.net> wrote:
>Anyways, enough of the rambling and on to the question. For the ones
>that own either the first one or second one, Do you own it just to have
>a classic like Gauntlet in your collection or do you really play the
>game?

I've had both 1 & 2 in the house at the same time. My fiance loves
them and will play for hours by herself. Sold the II last November,
and the 1 (which plays both) is up for sale now since we need the
space. I have it up on rgva.marketplace and Craigslist if you want to
take a look:

http://www.craigslist.org/nby/clt/65714084.html

--
Please see my arcade and pinball items for sale:
http://www.videoracer.com/forsale/

Being an old school D&D player, Gauntlet just naturally is a have-to-have in
the home arcade :)

--
Daniel
The Vintage Geek

> I remember when this game first came out. Must have been 10 or 11
> years old. I can remember sticking alot of money into this game with
> my friends trying to beat it. Well, when I got older and found out
> there was no end to the game, and no end to the second one for that
> matter, it kinda pissed me off. I think if i would have known that
> when I first played it, I don't think i would have put that much money
> into it since the game is kinda pointless. I know alot of games back
> then were all about getting a high score or seeing how far you could
> get. But the games that had no ending, like Robotron 2084, Spy Hunter,
> Etc. didn't let you continue once all your lives were up and thats all
> cool. But with Gauntlet, it had no ending but let you continue and for
> what? So what was the challenge?
>
> Anyways, enough of the rambling and on to the question. For the ones
> that own either the first one or second one, Do you own it just to have
> a classic like Gauntlet in your collection or do you really play the
> game?
>

> Mike
> --
> http://www.freewebs.com/arcadelinks/

I play it.

I am an old D&D player, could be a factor. I like games that talk,
another factor. Multiplayer is the biggest thing though. I know it
doesn't end, it's a game that gets played at parties.

I have a Gauntlet II, and when there are a few people over, it gets
played.. a LOT. When you play that game with multiple players, there
is always a lively conversation going.. especially if you have a new
player. "Don't shoot the food!" "Watch out for death!" "Stop pushing
me!" or "I think I'll be a wizard this time". I don't play it
alone--too frustrating, but even with two people it is an immensely
interesting game.

I'm in the process of restoring a Gauntlet that did time on an aircraft
carrier of all places. (No water damage though.. :) Hopefully I'll
have it ready to go by the time the CA extreme show rolls around this
year. They didn't have a full size Gauntlet there last year, and I
plan to do my part to rectify the situation this summer.

I had some concerns about the 'pointless' nature of the game, but you
know what? Multiplayer on that machine is always fun.

-Jude

Gauntlet I and II was "score per coin" meaning your final score was
divided by the number of coins for that game. To answer your question,
the challenge for me was to get good enough to get to the top of the
score table; doing that meant you had to be good enough to be able to
play for a long time on 1-3 coins...

I suspected there wasn't an end to it given how hard they tried to make
the same levels look different in Gauntlet II - flipping the maze
around, changing a few tiles to make the path to exit different, etc...

Matt

DarkMagister wrote:

> I remember when this game first came out. Must have been 10 or 11
> years old. I can remember sticking alot of money into this game with
> my friends trying to beat it. Well, when I got older and found out
> there was no end to the game, and no end to the second one for that
> matter, it kinda pissed me off. I think if i would have known that
> when I first played it, I don't think i would have put that much money
> into it since the game is kinda pointless. I know alot of games back
> then were all about getting a high score or seeing how far you could
> get. But the games that had no ending, like Robotron 2084, Spy Hunter,
> Etc. didn't let you continue once all your lives were up and thats all
> cool. But with Gauntlet, it had no ending but let you continue and for
> what? So what was the challenge?
>
> Anyways, enough of the rambling and on to the question. For the ones
> that own either the first one or second one, Do you own it just to have
> a classic like Gauntlet in your collection or do you really play the
> game?
>

> Mike
> --
> http://www.freewebs.com/arcadelinks/

I'm an old D&D player, and still am today. Have groups come over every
other saturday. But gauntlet never did much for me. The new ones on
the other hand are great. Plus I own both D&D arcade games that came
out which I think are cool since the monsters in the game stay true to
D&D.

I think thats why im attracted to gauntlet legends much more then the
origional. Its because of the aspect of a goal that you need to
achieve. The save file is nice as well.. *shrug* It more of a pain in
the butt with the 3d levels though ;) And gauntlet legends is likely
much more expensive then a gauntlet 1,2.

-isaac

DarkMagister wrote:
> I'm an old D&D player, and still am today. Have groups come over
every
> other saturday. But gauntlet never did much for me. The new ones on
> the other hand are great. Plus I own both D&D arcade games that came
> out which I think are cool since the monsters in the game stay true
> D&D.

ME

"Matthew DeSantis" <md4l@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote in message
> Gauntlet I and II was "score per coin" meaning your final score was
> divided by the number of coins for that game. To answer your question,
> the challenge for me was to get good enough to get to the top of the
> score table; doing that meant you had to be good enough to be able to
> play for a long time on 1-3 coins...

Yea, I always tried to get the top score the same way :) I remember
staying at a campground without much to do, playing Gauntlet for a
couple hours on 1 quarter. There was enough food that by the time
I got tired of playing, it took me about 10-15 minutes just to drop
my health down to end the game.