Can NOT boot From Windows CD or Safe Mode or Normal Mode

I had a registered and activated version of WindowsXp Professional that I
decided to repair, actually I tried to reinstall WindowsXp. When the
reinstall was complete, the system restarted and instead of a Windows screen,
I get a Blue Screen advising me that Windows is Shutting Down. I tried
starting the system in Safe Mode but was advised that I can not run in Safe
Mode without activating Windows and Windows can only be activated in Normal
Mode (which gives me the Blue Screen). Further, I also am unable to boot
from the WindowsXp CD so to summarize, I had a valid / activated /
registered, version of WindowsXp Pro and after I reinstalled WindowsXp, I NO
longer can access my system (either from the WindowsXP CD, from Normal Mode
<i.e. the Blue Scrreen>, or from Safe Mode <where I am advised that I can not
run in Safe Mode until I activate Windows which can only be done in Normal
Mode>. It feel like I am in Catch-22 and would appreciate any help that you
can give me. Thanks, Bob
14 answers Last reply
More about boot windows safe mode normal mode

    In news:B68F8D58-3CAD-4C77-88B3-7B41BC8957DB@microsoft.com,
    Boblink <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > I had a registered and activated version of WindowsXp Professional
    > that I decided to repair, actually I tried to reinstall WindowsXp.
    > When the reinstall was complete, the system restarted and instead of
    > a Windows screen, I get a Blue Screen advising me that Windows is
    > Shutting Down. I tried starting the system in Safe Mode but was
    > advised that I can not run in Safe Mode without activating Windows
    > and Windows can only be activated in Normal Mode (which gives me the
    > Blue Screen). Further, I also am unable to boot from the WindowsXp
    > CD so to summarize, I had a valid / activated / registered, version
    > of WindowsXp Pro and after I reinstalled WindowsXp, I NO longer can
    > access my system (either from the WindowsXP CD, from Normal Mode
    > <i.e. the Blue Scrreen>, or from Safe Mode <where I am advised that I
    > can not run in Safe Mode until I activate Windows which can only be
    > done in Normal Mode>. It feel like I am in Catch-22 and would
    > appreciate any help that you can give me. Thanks, Bob

    Use your BIOS setup utility to boot from CD. From there either do another
    repair or a side by side installation.

    Galen

    In news:47E0572B-32B1-4D6C-A04F-8438644F14C0@microsoft.com,
    Boblink <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Thanks for the help Galen, how do I get to and boot from the BIOS
    > SetUp utility?And to recap where I am, I can NOT boot from the Dell
    > provided Windows
    > CD, when I try and boot in Safe Mode, I am advised that I must
    > activate Windows in Normal Mode before I can use Safe Mode and when I
    > try to start the system in Normal Mode, I get a Blue Screen that says:

    It's usually the DELETE key with a Dell IIRC... When you first boot your
    computer you should see something like "Press Delete to Enter Setup." Even
    if you don't see it try it anyhow. Then set the first boot item to boot to
    CD then use the directions on this page:

    http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1056993

    Galen

    "Galen" wrote:

    > In news:47E0572B-32B1-4D6C-A04F-8438644F14C0@microsoft.com,
    > Boblink <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > > Thanks for the help Galen, how do I get to and boot from the BIOS
    > > SetUp utility?And to recap where I am, I can NOT boot from the Dell
    > > provided Windows
    > > CD, when I try and boot in Safe Mode, I am advised that I must
    > > activate Windows in Normal Mode before I can use Safe Mode and when I
    > > try to start the system in Normal Mode, I get a Blue Screen that says:
    >
    > It's usually the DELETE key with a Dell IIRC... When you first boot your
    > computer you should see something like "Press Delete to Enter Setup." Even
    > if you don't see it try it anyhow. Then set the first boot item to boot to
    > CD then use the directions on this page:
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1056993
    >
    > Galen
    > --
    > Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    > Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    Thanks Galen, per the instruction that you sent me, I changed the boot
    sequence in BIOS and placed the WindowsXp SetUp / Install CD in the CD-ROM
    Drive and started my system.
    The isystem tried to boot (I was asked if I wanted to activate Windows NOW
    and then got the Blue Screen. The Windows install routine never started and
    if it did, I am not sure if anything would change becuase I was able to
    ReInstall WindowsXp Pro twice and got the error message that I previously
    posted and now can not do anything. As I mentioned, I can not do anything
    with my system and am going to a friends house to access replies to my posts
    and jotting down instructions and bring them back to my system to see if it
    works. I still can not boot from CD, Safe Mode or Nomal Mode and am hoping

    In news:633A8AEA-26CC-484D-8B58-8F2F44EAC42C@microsoft.com,
    Boblink <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Thanks Galen, per the instruction that you sent me, I changed the boot
    > sequence in BIOS and placed the WindowsXp SetUp / Install CD in the
    > CD-ROM Drive and started my system.
    > The isystem tried to boot (I was asked if I wanted to activate
    > Windows NOW and then got the Blue Screen. The Windows install routine
    > never started and if it did, I am not sure if anything would change
    > becuase I was able to ReInstall WindowsXp Pro twice and got the error
    > message that I previously posted and now can not do anything. As I
    > mentioned, I can not do anything with my system and am going to a
    > friends house to access replies to my posts and jotting down
    > instructions and bring them back to my system to see if it works. I
    > still can not boot from CD, Safe Mode or Nomal Mode and am hoping
    > that someone can HELP. Thanks, BobGalen" wrote:

    It sounds like you could be requiring an in-home service call from Dell if
    it's still under warranty. That'd be my next step.

    Galen

    In news:333D935D-0849-4022-9B05-32C0D3C342B6@microsoft.com,
    Boblink <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Thanks Galen, I bought the system in November 2003 so it is out of
    > warranty but I do have some additional news. When I change the BIOS
    > start sequency to CD-ROM first and place the Dell provided WindowsXp
    > Pro CD in the CD-ROM, statr my system and press the SPACE BAR, I GET
    > the Windows SetUp / Install screen.

    What happens if you unplug (pop it right out of the system) your sound card?

    Does it boot? If not then try your installation one more time but this time
    try it without the sound card in there.

    Galen

    Hi Galen, thank you again for your help.
    Since I got into trouble by doing things that I was not familiar with, I do
    NOT want to get into trouble again and would like to insure that I understand
    what I need to do to get my system "Up and Running".

    I believe that the first thing that I need to do is place the Recovery /
    Resourse CD in the CD-ROM Drive, turn on my Dell 8300 computer and select the
    Boot from CD option (NOT boot from Hard Drive).

    That will bring uo the Dell ResourceCD Main Menu / Selection Page, and I
    should choose the DOS Option.

    When I am in DOS, I type FORMAT C:\ and Press Enter (to Reformat the "C"
    Drive)

    After the "C" Drive is ReFormatted, I place the WindowsXp Professional SetUp
    CD in the CD-ROM Drive, restart the system and hopefully, the WindowsXp Pro
    Setup routine will begin (and I will have a USABLE system again)

    I would appreciate if you would please advise / confirm that these ARE the
    steps and I need to take and if NOT (or I am have skipped / forgotten
    something), what should I be doing to resurrect my system?

    Thank you for your ALL your help Galen.

    Bob

    In news:2EBD7EB8-0ABB-46EA-8E7A-BE7961319F91@microsoft.com,
    Boblink <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Hi Galen, thank you again for your help.
    > Since I got into trouble by doing things that I was not familiar
    > with, I do NOT want to get into trouble again and would like to
    > insure that I understand what I need to do to get my system "Up and
    > Running".
    >
    > I believe that the first thing that I need to do is place the
    > Recovery / Resourse CD in the CD-ROM Drive, turn on my Dell 8300
    > computer and select the Boot from CD option (NOT boot from Hard
    > Drive).
    >
    > That will bring uo the Dell ResourceCD Main Menu / Selection Page,
    > and I should choose the DOS Option.
    >
    > When I am in DOS, I type FORMAT C:\ and Press Enter (to Reformat the
    > "C" Drive)
    >
    > After the "C" Drive is ReFormatted, I place the WindowsXp
    > Professional SetUp CD in the CD-ROM Drive, restart the system and
    > hopefully, the WindowsXp Pro Setup routine will begin (and I will
    > have a USABLE system again)
    >
    > I would appreciate if you would please advise / confirm that these
    > ARE the steps and I need to take and if NOT (or I am have skipped /
    > forgotten something), what should I be doing to resurrect my system?
    >
    > Thank you for your ALL your help Galen.
    >
    > Bob

    It's MUCH easier than that... If you have the recovery CD just boot with the
    CD in place and it should pop you the question about booting from CD. Then
    follow the on screen prompts. No typing of format or the like any more. It's
    all done quickly and easily though the CD itself. No special hidden
    commands.

    To keep your system up and running don't activate immediately when prompted.
    Instead turn on the firewall. Then download and install SP2. Then
    activate...

    Here's some canned stuff with some links to give you some free security
    software:

    Virus:
    www.grisoft.com - AVG
    www.antivir.com - AntiVir
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

    Spyware:
    www.lavasoft.de - AdAware
    http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta

    Trojan:
    www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
    http://swatit.org/ Swat It

    Before cleaning download this:

    LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Use that should cleaning out your PC remove or damage your in-place winsock
    and you can't connect to the internet.

    From the virus and trojan category pick one application, they're all free,
    download it and install it. Make sure that you update it. From the spyware
    category pick all three, download them and update them to the latest
    definitions. Reboot, press the F8 key over and over again, from the menu
    select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there. Reboot to
    regular mode and run the scans again. This isn't going to be quick or easy
    but it might just solve your problems and it should prevent you from further
    problems so long as you keep them updated and scan often. Most of them can
    be enabled to update and scan automatically.

    You can skip the whole scanning bit as you shouldn't be infected if you've
    done a destructive recovery (is that what Dell calls it???) re-installation.

    Galen

    Thank you again Galen, I appreciate all your help and feel a little better
    about getting my system back. Some comments / questions after your remarks:

    It's MUCH easier than that... If you have the recovery CD just boot with the
    CD in place and it should pop you the question about booting from CD. Then
    follow the on screen prompts. No typing of format or the like any more. It's
    all done quickly and easily though the CD itself. No special hidden
    commands.

    The way that I got into trouble in the first place Galen is, that a few
    months ago SP 2 was (automatically) downloaded and installed and about a week
    ago, I was getting (Windows) error messages advising me that some Windows
    Files are corrupt, place the Windows CD in the CD ROM Drive and Press Enter.
    I did and was advised that the cersion on my system is later than the version
    on the CD (which was SP1), I POSTED some notes and was advised to create a
    SlipStream CD, which I did and then Deleted SP2 and tried to install
    WindowsXp Pro (SlipStream with SP2).
    The installation began and stopped about 1/2 way thru and advised me that a
    Sound Blaster File could not be found and displayed a path. I noticed that my
    mouse LOCKED at this moment so I could not change the path (I wouldn't know
    where the file was anyway) and the only way I was able to get out of this,
    was to press ESC. I thought all was fine when Windows SetUp finally finished
    and my system restarted but instead of Windows opening, I got to the Welcome
    page and was asked if I want to acytivate Windows now or later (I did this a
    few times and found out that it didn't matter which Option I selected) and
    after a few seconds, I would get the Blue Scrren (of Death) and my system
    would freeze.
    BTW, I do NOT remember being asked during the installation if I wanted to
    FORMAT "C"

    To keep your system up and running don't activate immediately when prompted.
    Instead turn on the firewall. Then download and install SP2.

    Thanks for the activation suggestion Galen fyi, I probably will try and
    install the SlipStreamm version that includes SP2

    www.grisoft.com - AVG I have it

    www.antivir.com - AntiVir
    http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/index.cfm - CA eTrust

    www.lavasoft.de - AdAware I have it
    http://security.kolla.de/ - Spybot I have it
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx -
    Microsoft Anti-Spyware Beta I have it

    www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/ - a Squared
    http://swatit.org/ Swat It
    I think that I already have a Trojan "killer" but will keep these available
    in case I don't

    LSP-Fix - a free program to repair damaged Winsock 2 stacks:
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
    I KNOW that I do NOT have Winstock tools so I will get one of these

    select Safe mode without networking. Do your cleaning in there.
    Thanks Galen, I usually do cleaning (set these programs to run
    automatically) in Normal Mode

    Thank you agin for your help Galen,
    Bob

    In news:887F2860-D098-4E64-A78A-DC6195B95752@microsoft.com,
    Boblink <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Thank you agin for your help Galen,
    > Bob

    No problem. You can get XP SP2 on CD for free too you know. They'll even
    mail it to you free.

    Galen

    Thanks again for your help Galen, out of General Principal, I don't want to
    pay for something that I is available for free and did not know that MS will
    provide you (customers) with a SP2 CD at no cost?
    If you don't mind, I have a couple of follow up questions Galen.
    After I installed WindowsXp Pro (on Top of WindowsXp Pro) and restart my
    system, I get the Welcome (to Windows) screen and then the Blue Screen of
    Death with a 0x0000008e error message.
    How do I find the definition of Windows error message 0x0000008e?
    And is there away that I can fix this error without Reformatting the "C"
    Partition (and losing my calendar, address book, email,....)/
    Thank you for ALL your help Galen.
    Bob
  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Thanks again for your help Galen, out of General Principal, I don't want to
    pay for something that I is available for free and did not know that MS will
    provide you (customers) with a SP2 CD at no cost?
    If you don't mind, I have a couple of follow up questions Galen.
    After I installed WindowsXp Pro (on Top of WindowsXp Pro) and restart my
    system, I get the Welcome (to Windows) screen and then the Blue Screen of
    Death with a 0x0000008e error message.
    How do I find the definition of Windows error message 0x0000008e?
    And is there away that I can fix this error without Reformatting the "C"
    Partition (and losing my calendar, address book, email,....)?
    Thank you for ALL your help Galen.
    Bob
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    In news:F1B62D0D-E51C-4959-B9A2-752C1362841C@microsoft.com,
    Boblink <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

    > Thanks again for your help Galen, out of General Principal, I don't
    > want to pay for something that I is available for free and did not
    > know that MS will provide you (customers) with a SP2 CD at no cost?
    > If you don't mind, I have a couple of follow up questions Galen.
    > After I installed WindowsXp Pro (on Top of WindowsXp Pro) and restart
    > my system, I get the Welcome (to Windows) screen and then the Blue
    > Screen of Death with a 0x0000008e error message.
    > How do I find the definition of Windows error message 0x0000008e?
    > And is there away that I can fix this error without Reformatting the
    > "C" Partition (and losing my calendar, address book, email,....)?
    > Thank you for ALL your help Galen.
    > Bob

    The best way to find out what an error is all about is to Google it. The
    best way to save your stuff on C: drive is to go ahead and install the OS on
    a second partition which you can do from the setup menu.

    Galen
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    | In news:F1B62D0D-E51C-4959-B9A2-752C1362841C@microsoft.com,
    | Boblink <Boblink@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:
    |
    | My reply is at the bottom of your sent message:
    |
    | > Thanks again for your help Galen, out of General Principal, I
    don't
    | > want to pay for something that I is available for free and did not
    | > know that MS will provide you (customers) with a SP2 CD at no
    cost?
    | > If you don't mind, I have a couple of follow up questions Galen.
    | > After I installed WindowsXp Pro (on Top of WindowsXp Pro) and
    restart
    | > my system, I get the Welcome (to Windows) screen and then the Blue
    | > Screen of Death with a 0x0000008e error message.
    | > How do I find the definition of Windows error message
    0x0000008e?
    | > And is there away that I can fix this error without Reformatting
    the
    | > "C" Partition (and losing my calendar, address book, email,....)?
    | > Thank you for ALL your help Galen.
    | > Bob
    |

    | The best way to find out what an error is all about is to Google it.
    The
    | best way to save your stuff on C: drive is to go ahead and install
    the OS on
    | a second partition which you can do from the setup menu.
    |
    | Galen
    | --
    | Signature changed for a moment of silence.
    | Rest well Alex and we'll see you on the other side.

    Here's a link that may help..
    http://forum.iamnotageek.com/t-77521.html

    --
    The most overlooked advantage to owning a computer is that if they
    foul up there's no law against wacking them around a little.

Safe Mode Blue Screen CD-Rom Windows XP