Question for game techs....

It almost seems like the timing is right, so I'm thinking about this...

I've collected and fixed games for 11 years now as a hobby. I got
hired by someone today to work on his game, and I find myself with 3-4
others that want to do so as well. All of this just fell in my lap
when I wasn't looking for it.

It would suit my life so damn well right now to be able to be my own
boss, so I am considering seeing if I could do game repair for my
income. I just have some questions for those out there who do this
very same thing.

1. What do you typically charge per hour?
2. What do you charge for parts vs. cost?
3. How much work do you tend to get?

I am in a college town and there seems to be a ton of people in this
area with classic games in their homes and businesses, many of which
need work.

Any input or advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi,

I do repairs part time also.
I charge $85.00 an hour. A trip charge if it is farther than 50 miles.
Especiallly since gas is getting costly.
For parts I typically add 15 to 20 percent above the cost of the part.
You have basically covered your shipping cost no one cmplains about the
price because everyone after you leave looks up the parts on line. I
try to keep it fair.

I flat rate cap kits on monitors at $58.00 you cover your parts and
your labor to install the cap kit,clean up the monitor and realign it.
If the tube needs to be rejuvenated I add $20.00.(Best thing I ever
Bought)

The work load goes in sperts. I average 3 to 4 repairs a month for now.
Go to the Arcade auctions in your area and have a few cards printed up
before hand. I talk to a lot of families at the auctions. They all want
a game for there basement but never think about the repair side of the
coin down the road.

Good Luck in Your Ventures

JR
scott.phoenix@verizon.net wrote:
> It almost seems like the timing is right, so I'm thinking about
this...

> I've collected and fixed games for 11 years now as a hobby. I got
> hired by someone today to work on his game, and I find myself with
3-4
> others that want to do so as well. All of this just fell in my lap
> when I wasn't looking for it.
>
> It would suit my life so damn well right now to be able to be my own
> boss, so I am considering seeing if I could do game repair for my
> income. I just have some questions for those out there who do this
> very same thing.
>
> 1. What do you typically charge per hour?
> 2. What do you charge for parts vs. cost?
> 3. How much work do you tend to get?
>
> I am in a college town and there seems to be a ton of people in this
> area with classic games in their homes and businesses, many of which
> need work.
>
> Any input or advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

As with many things, the Devil is in the details on this one- I've
fixed games on the side but consider it a losing proposition most of
the time and avoid it now. There are times that the repair issue is
well defined and times when it keeps recurring no matter what you
replace (and the owner doesn't want to fund your experiments, but they
want it fixed for what they paid for the original visit).

Be sure to remember the bigger issues, what happens if the game catches
fire after you work on it? What about workman's comp? What will you
do to make ends meet if the repair business slows down unexpectedly?

Hedging your bet with a steady job and doing repairs on the side would
be a safer road to travel.

Just my 2 cents,
Mike Doyle

I've been looking into some of the very things you've been talking
about there. Trust me, I'm not exactly diving in head first...keeping
the day job right now while I see about this.

Given that I'm also a pro wrestler away from the day job, workman's
comp isn't exactly a concern of mine...lol. I'm working injured more
often than not already.

TRENDING THREADS