Move windows XP to new harddrive

I am not sure if this is the proper group to post this question but here goes.
I am trying to move the windows xp home edition sp2 from a smaller hard
drive to a larger hard drive. I am using symantec ghost version 9.0 and it is
copying all of the files from one drive to another but when I try to boot the
new drive I get the message "missing or corrupt HAL.DLL". I have copied the
file directly my self and still get the same message.
Please email me direct at buzzygreen@verizon.net or post any suggestions.
Thanks
Buzzy

If its a IDE drive,reformat,place as slave to C:,then go to run,type:
XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r
In the DOS window agree to all.XCOPY in xp only works with IDE,RAID and
SATA it wont.

"buzzy green" wrote:

> I am not sure if this is the proper group to post this question but here goes.
> I am trying to move the windows xp home edition sp2 from a smaller hard
> drive to a larger hard drive. I am using symantec ghost version 9.0 and it is
> copying all of the files from one drive to another but when I try to boot the
> new drive I get the message "missing or corrupt HAL.DLL". I have copied the
> file directly my self and still get the same message.
> Please email me direct at buzzygreen@verizon.net or post any suggestions.
> Thanks
> Buzzy

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:0EDCDE6B-524C-4F0C-9A08-67539A3DF1FC@microsoft.com,
buzzy green <buzzy green@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to say:

> I am not sure if this is the proper group to post this question but
> here goes. I am trying to move the windows xp home edition sp2 from a
> smaller hard drive to a larger hard drive. I am using symantec ghost
> version 9.0 and it is copying all of the files from one drive to
> another but when I try to boot the new drive I get the message
> "missing or corrupt HAL.DLL". I have copied the file directly my self
> and still get the same message.
> Please email me direct at buzzygreen@verizon.net or post any
> suggestions. Thanks
> Buzzy

Try this:

1.. Insert and boot from your Windows XP CD.
2.. At the first R=Repair option, press the R key
3.. Press the number that corresponds to the correct location for the
installation of Windows you want to repair.
4.. Typically this will be #1
5.. Type bootcfg /list to show the current entries in the BOOT.INI file
6.. Type bootcfg /rebuild to repair it
7.. Take out the CD ROM and type exit
Galen

When you do the Copy Drive with Ghost 9, copy into Unallocated Space, don't
assign a Drive letter (leave as None), tick Copy MBR, tick set Active.

Brian