Error 651

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIF786

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Hello,

I am using Window 7 on HP laptop. Earlier I was using office wireless and wired (LAN) network to access DSL wireless modem which is connected to a SISCO Ethernet switch. Everything was woking perfect.

Recently we installed fiber optic internet connection in our office. The cable coming from ISP was connected to CISCO switch and the PC connected to switch started working after configuring username and password for the newly installed connection. However, when I plugged in my ethernet cable to laptop, it didn't work. On running trouble shooting for internet connection, it replies with Error 651 and when I run trouble shooting on Local Area Connection, it replies with "Local Area Network" doesn't have valid ip address.

I have done all trouble shooting I found in your post and other posts including changing raspppoe system file, changing MAC value, etc. but still no success.

Can you offer some help in this regard, please.

What are you using to give out IP addresses? I don't see any mention of a Router or DHCP server in your setup. Or is that wireless modem also a router? You are changing all sorts of things before doing some basic trouble-shooting, unless you skipped over a bunch of steps you did.

Did you try the laptop connected directly to the modem/router? Try a different cable and/or port on the switch? Is the laptop set to DHCP or static IP? Does it work OK on wireless?

MIF786

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

@hang-the-9

Thank you for your help. Earlier, we were using DSL modem which we plug into a connection port of a CICSO network switch/hub (16 ports) and it connects all computers to internet after giving username and password of our DLS modem. However, new fiberoptic cable connection is comming to our office through a cable from our ISP's cabinet which is installed on ground floor of the building. This cabinet was installed newly and ISP's has not issued connection to anyother company except us. The cable coming from ISP's cabinet has RJ45 type connector on our end. We can't plug IT into a router as router's port for incoming connection is DSL type (just like telephone connector). To try, we connected the cable to our existing network switch (16 port hub switch) and after we entered the username and password on a PC, it accepted the connection through network switch and we can use internet on PC's connected to the switch. As this is not wireless connection, therefore, I tried to connect my laptop through a network cable which I normally use to connect with network switch, however, Error 651 appears and so on as I mentioned earlier......after that I tookout the incoming connection cable from the switch and connected it directly to my laptop and internet is working perfectly after giving username and password. However, this way only one laptop can be connected and nobody else can use the internet. Apparently, the problem is in configuration/compatibility of CICSO switch with laptops (other laptops in the office also face same problem).

I am not very good in networking or network configuration. If you can give some idea how to configure network switch/hub to make it compatible with laptop, it may help is sloving the problem. Thank you for your time.

Laptop or Desktop should not matter. The ethernet connections works with the ethernet card, it does not care what that card is attached to. It would be like having a motrocycle that does not start and saying it's the gas that was used because it was meant for a car.

Try turning off WiFi in the laptops, and have you done an ipconfig command to see what IP you are getting? If your existing router does not have the right connection for the new service, you should get a router that does. Your ISP can help you configure all of this also.

Right now you have no router? Or do you have a modem/router combination from the ISP? What are you using for your IP addressing?

Status
Not open for further replies.