Self battery charger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I did get a new power adapter and a new generic version battery for my netbook but the netbook still doesn't want to charge. It basicly shows that the battery is in use the whole time even the power cord is plugged in. I was wondering about this but is there a self charger that can charge the battery so I don't need the netbook to charge the battery? Kinda like a normal battery charger. Or what do you guys think I should do? What do you guys think the problem is?

Off hand I would suspect a broken power jack (a rather common issue with mobile computers).
You can google broken power jack and your netbook model, you will find something about power jack repair and what is involved. If you can find a shop that will do the repair, it usually will run ~$100 (if the problem is a broken power jack).
I know of no stand alone chargers for laptop batteries.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
How long has the new battery been installed and charging? Sometimes batteries need to be connected for a bit of time before they register as charging. Does the battery charge level continue to go down even though the AC adapter is connected?

Can you operate your netbook without the battery installed? That will tell you if you have a power supply problem.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Well all I know is that when I wiggle the tip of the cable where is connects to the netbook nothing happenes meaning it's still the same. Also when I have it plugged in the battery says 32% left and has over 1000 hours left. I think it's saying that since it things the battery is in use and really it isn't so it's showing false info. Basicly acting like it's using batteries but since it's not it has soo many hours left in just 32%. But it is using the AC adapter to power the computer.

Also when I disconnect the AC adapter then the battery reads like normaly meaning like 1 or 2 hours left when it's on the desktop idle.

Also for this Dell netbook I have to have the battery installed in order to turn it on since without the battery it won't even power on. My Sony laptop can work without the battery installed but this Dell for somereaon needs it. I think there is a latch or something that has to be pushed so the netbook knows the battery is installed.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

The part where you said how long it's been charging it never has charged basicly it keeps reading as it's in use so it can't charge. I have unplugged the cord and reads exactly the same just the hours from over 1000 goes to like 1 or 2 hours and reads normaly. I just got this battery today from Ebay new btw.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

When you said broken power jack do you mean the part where I plug the power cord to the netbook? If so were you saying about if it doesn't power using the AC and if you wiggle it it will work? Since I tried that already but that didn't seem to fix the problem. I can only assume that if the jack was broken then wiggling it should make it work. I' am sure that the AC is powering the netbook since the battery life goes from 2 hours to 1421 hours and 49 min since it isn't using the battery at all so I think the netbook is getting power for AC forsure. I really need help on this of cource and I do apprecite it that you guys are helping.

Thank You

Nope, it doesn't sound like a power jack issue here since your netbook does acknowledge power (and the jack isn't loose or intermittant).
As teh_chem says, see how it works after being plugged in for a while (I say 8 hours min.)
You may have to reset your netbook - see Dell support for instructions how
FYI, there are a few Dell techs that hang here. If you start a thread with your Dell model number, I'm sure (okay, I hope) you'll get some kind of specific help

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I did look on the internet and found someone posted about battery not charing on a Dell laptop and someone said this.

"While it may be a 'common fault', are you sure that the supply you are
using is a genuine Dell supply? I only ask because other companies sell
a supply that looks very much like the Dell original, uses the same
input and output cords and even has a representation of the Dell logo
molded into the face....but is NOT a Dell supply, and will NOT charge my
Dell laptops.

*It will run them, but not charge the battery.*

Closer examination reveals that it's really not much like a genuine
supply. It's much lighter in weight. The quality of the cabling is
markedly inferior. It doesn't have the rubber cable retainer strap.
There is no Dell information on the info sticker. It says at the top,
'Replacement AC Adaptor' and gives a few specs. At the bottom it says
'Made in China'.

I got it with a Dell laptop from Craigslist. The original owner
complained the battery wouldn't charge. Connection to a genuine Dell
supply fixed that problem."

I wounder if I' am having this problem since I got my adapter from Ebay and it could be a adapter that is like the Dell but it's not. But is this info true that if it's not a real Dell adapter it would not work?

Although I will not say for sure that is the reason for your issues, it is a very likely cause. Propriety power packs, chargers, and batteries are easy to do. Dell used to have a fairly bad reputation for doing propriety power (they stopped that practice on desktops about 4 years ago) likely it continues in their laptops.
Please do report back if that is the correction to your issue (for my future reference).

It looks like it should work but, I get a few red-flags there, first being "buy now" price, Dell sells their adapters for $35-$120 so I'm wondering how the E-Bay seller could be selling "new" units for $12. The second is they are not using their own photographs (the picture shown belongs to PCHub.com) of the products. I'm not saying the seller is bad or dishonest - just personal points of concern.
I also have one other concern, will your generic battery work with the Dell adapter/charging system?

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I did receiver an e-mail from the seller of the adapter I got my current one from and he said that this adapter is Genuine OEM Dell adapter. He said he could only think that I got the wrong adapter. Also I did once buy a Dell battery and had the old adapter that was not for Dell and that Dell battery did the same thing meaing my netbook thinks that the battery is in use. I don't know now that if got that Dell battery again with my new Dell adapter it would make a difference. Also it looks like alot of people have got this generic battery from the seller so it must work.

This is the battery I have now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250938099865?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I had this battery before but I returned it and did the same thing but my adapter was the wrong one and was from HP.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170719025965?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
This is what the person said exaclty about my current Dell adapter.

"Hello dustinbroke, I am so sorry that your adapters isn't working with your netbook. I can assure you that this adapter is Genuine OEM Dell. You can go on the Dell website and see that it is. On the adapter itself it says Dell Inc with a Dell Part Number. You may have ordered the wrong adapter or the adapter might be defective. If you don't mind me asking, what type of netbook do you have? I would love to research it myself and try and solve this issue we have at hand. If you still want me to refund you that is fine also, just let me know. I can send you a return shipping label for this item if that's what you decide to do. Please let me know what you want to do ASAP so I can send you a new adapter for your netbook and get it shipped today. Thanks,"

If I did get the wrong one then do I need to ask the person to send the other one that the other seller had? He might have that one but I don't know.

This is the one I got my current one from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190685325723?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

I don't know if the same seller has this one from a different seller but I could ask.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Dell-PA-12-PA12-65W-AC-Adapter-Charger-for-Latitude-E4200-E4300-2100-NEW?item=360468555022&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D95593216741992435

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
I did get a reply back from the seller and he said he has the other adapter also and he said that was a different Dell adapter. So he did send that one today and I did get the tracking number for it so hopefuly when I get it it will work. He said I can just send back the one I have now. But all I can say is that if this new adapter doesn't work then I will need to return the battery and retry the Dell one again and then if that doesn't work I don't know what to do to tell you the truth.

Dustin_Broke

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Well last week I did get the adapter that suppose to work for the model I have but it didn't make any difference. Still doing the same thing so I did return the battery but I wanted to see if another seller has a different generic battery that will work. I can only think that most generic batteries should work and some won't so I will have to try this one from a different seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-DELL-Latitude-2100-2110-J017N-00R271-451-11040-00R271-312-0229-/270954668516?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D195971748416880781%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26

Or even try this one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Battery-for-Dell-Latitude-2100-G038N-F079N-Laptop-/280656700346?pt=Laptop_Batteries&hash=item41587163ba

Status
Not open for further replies.