Sign in with
Your question

From XP to 7 64 bit

Last response: in Windows 7
June 25, 2010 2:21:04 AM

OK, The new parts for my long over due upgrade are in and awaiting assembly...(by me) I'm going from a Pentium D asus 775 mobo and 2 gis of ddr2 to a i7-875k with and evga p55 sli mobo w/ 4 gigs of ddr3 1600. I am reusing my Power supply, internal hardrive, dvd and cd rom drives and my gpu.

I store all of my personal file (music,pics,movies and paper docs) on my external 1tb hard drive. And only use my internal for my OS and installed programs.

My question is. Since I am going from xp 32bit toWindows 7 64 bit. Should I format my internal harddrive before I disasemble my current setup. And then just reboot the new rig with my win7 disc. Or should i just leave my hd alone untill i reboot the new rig. Also it is important to point out that my hard drive has a factory installed partition on it for my xp os and assorted drivers and software.??? Although i have wiped my pc a couple of times over the years and feel confident with the process. Rebooting from a new mobo is a new ballgame for me. I have ran the win 7 compatibility test and all my hardware that i am reusing and most of my software checks out.

More about : bit

a b $ Windows 7
June 25, 2010 2:46:30 AM

Either way should work, you'll need to boot into the Win7 installation DVD either way. So you can start with an unformatted HDD or use Win7 install to format the HDD.

If that factory-installed partition is a hidden partition with the mfr's image to perform a clean re-install of XP, you may want to use partition wizard, or some other free partitioning software to format the hidden partition and to merge it to the other partition - resulting in having the HDD's entire capacity for Win7.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 25, 2010 6:50:37 AM

If you are using an OEM full version of W7, you will need to wipe the drive first, it will be looking for a new drive. Others have had trouble installing with pre existing OS's on the drive. I think the full retail is ok.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
June 26, 2010 12:57:15 AM

Jonmor68 said:
If you are using an OEM full version of W7, you will need to wipe the drive first, it will be looking for a new drive. Others have had trouble installing with pre existing OS's on the drive. I think the full retail is ok.
Actually, you can select "custom" install and then either over-write an exisiting HDD (or primary partition) to install or install to a new or wiped HDD (or primary partition). In fact, MS says to do that if you are installing the x64 version on to an existing x86 system. It also works - I'm triple-booting XPx86, XPx64, and Win7x64 on one machine. I wanted to benchmark the HW in all 3 systems...OK, XPx86 gets betters scores, than either XPx64 or 7x64 (caused by WOW according to various sites), but I cannot see the differences. So I will likely settle on 7x64 for primary use to get the full benefit of the RAM and DX11.
m
l
Related resources
!