Slow PC after latest updates

Hi,

My specs: PIV 2.66Ghz, 768mB Ram, 120Gig HD Seagate, GeForce 4200
MSI mobo, SiS-chipset
Running: Windows XP Professional

Everything ran smoothly, but last week something changed.
It takes longer to boot (screen where the little bar is running and the
MSlogo is showing), after that I get a blue screen (not BSOD, just the
background blue :)), after a couple of secs i get my login dialog. This has
never ran so slowly.
Finally logged in, everything looks normal.But when i start any application,
it takes up to 80% CPU while starting, then dropping back to a normal level.
When I'm playing music, the music start stuttering even when opening an
application like notepad. After the app has started, everything goes back to
normal. While writing a cd, Nero stays at a high (tho not impossible highà
level.
I know i've had this problem on another pc of mine and i fixed it by getting
the latest chipset drivers. On this pc the latest chipset (AGP, IDE) or
installed, the latest videodrivers (NVidia), I ran some adawarescans, ran an
antivirusscan, all without any result. I defragmented the disk, no result. I
checked my memory (with mem86), passed without anyremarks. I check my cpu and
mobo temperature, all normal (30-50°C).
It all occured after installing MSOffice2003 and doing the latest batch of
updates.
But I uinstalled both Office2003 and the latest updates, again without result.
There's no systemrestore i can go back to.
So i'm out of inspiaration now, anyone can suggest something else to try?
Thx in advance
Kindest regards.
2 answers Last reply
More about slow latest updates

    You may be loading up too many apps at startup. Try the following and see
    if that will speed it up. Go to: Start>Run>type MSCONFIG and click OK
    Click the Startup tab and disable/uncheck everything except your anti-virus
    program. Click Apply and Close, then Reboot.
    Note: Disabling does not delete anything it only stops apps from loading at
    startup tasking most of system resources. All apps work by clicking their
    respective icons.

    "KrB" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > My specs: PIV 2.66Ghz, 768mB Ram, 120Gig HD Seagate, GeForce 4200
    > MSI mobo, SiS-chipset
    > Running: Windows XP Professional
    >
    > Everything ran smoothly, but last week something changed.
    > It takes longer to boot (screen where the little bar is running and the
    > MSlogo is showing), after that I get a blue screen (not BSOD, just the
    > background blue :)), after a couple of secs i get my login dialog. This has
    > never ran so slowly.
    > Finally logged in, everything looks normal.But when i start any application,
    > it takes up to 80% CPU while starting, then dropping back to a normal level.
    > When I'm playing music, the music start stuttering even when opening an
    > application like notepad. After the app has started, everything goes back to
    > normal. While writing a cd, Nero stays at a high (tho not impossible highà
    > level.
    > I know i've had this problem on another pc of mine and i fixed it by getting
    > the latest chipset drivers. On this pc the latest chipset (AGP, IDE) or
    > installed, the latest videodrivers (NVidia), I ran some adawarescans, ran an
    > antivirusscan, all without any result. I defragmented the disk, no result. I
    > checked my memory (with mem86), passed without anyremarks. I check my cpu and
    > mobo temperature, all normal (30-50°C).
    > It all occured after installing MSOffice2003 and doing the latest batch of
    > updates.
    > But I uinstalled both Office2003 and the latest updates, again without result.
    > There's no systemrestore i can go back to.
    > So i'm out of inspiaration now, anyone can suggest something else to try?
    > Thx in advance
    > Kindest regards.

    Thx for your reply, I know how msconfig works and thinks worked fine
    until last week.
    Even after windowsstartup, things go slow whenever I start an app.

    Byte wrote:
    > You may be loading up too many apps at startup. Try the following and see
    > if that will speed it up. Go to: Start>Run>type MSCONFIG and click OK
    > Click the Startup tab and disable/uncheck everything except your anti-virus
    > program. Click Apply and Close, then Reboot.
    > Note: Disabling does not delete anything it only stops apps from loading at
    > startup tasking most of system resources. All apps work by clicking their
    > respective icons.
    >
    > "KrB" wrote:
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>My specs: PIV 2.66Ghz, 768mB Ram, 120Gig HD Seagate, GeForce 4200
    >>MSI mobo, SiS-chipset
    >>Running: Windows XP Professional
    >>
    >>Everything ran smoothly, but last week something changed.
    >>It takes longer to boot (screen where the little bar is running and the
    >>MSlogo is showing), after that I get a blue screen (not BSOD, just the
    >>background blue :)), after a couple of secs i get my login dialog. This has
    >>never ran so slowly.
    >>Finally logged in, everything looks normal.But when i start any application,
    >>it takes up to 80% CPU while starting, then dropping back to a normal level.
    >>When I'm playing music, the music start stuttering even when opening an
    >>application like notepad. After the app has started, everything goes back to
    >>normal. While writing a cd, Nero stays at a high (tho not impossible highà
    >>level.
    >>I know i've had this problem on another pc of mine and i fixed it by getting
    >>the latest chipset drivers. On this pc the latest chipset (AGP, IDE) or
    >>installed, the latest videodrivers (NVidia), I ran some adawarescans, ran an
    >>antivirusscan, all without any result. I defragmented the disk, no result. I
    >>checked my memory (with mem86), passed without anyremarks. I check my cpu and
    >>mobo temperature, all normal (30-50°C).
    >>It all occured after installing MSOffice2003 and doing the latest batch of
    >>updates.
    >>But I uinstalled both Office2003 and the latest updates, again without result.
    >>There's no systemrestore i can go back to.
    >>So i'm out of inspiaration now, anyone can suggest something else to try?
    >>Thx in advance
    >>Kindest regards.

Windows XP