Sign in with
Your question

THE ONE GeForce 6800Ultra thread

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 14, 2004 10:57:38 PM

guys, too many thread and it takes forever to look through them all

THIS IS THE ONE THE ULTIMATE discussion!!
okay
First impression (Coolsquirtle version)
HOLY !@#$%^&*( they really did it.....
*wets myself*

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D 
April 15, 2004 2:00:28 AM

GUYS!!! POST IN HERE!!!

dont make me send Grape to jump on you

April 15, 2004 2:10:21 AM

Err, I think I actually weigh more than Grape....
My impression: It pwns joor mommas, and let's see some of dem IQ fixes- they seem more like bugs in some cases than actual floptomizations!

SEX is like math. Add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and hope you dont multiply
Related resources
April 15, 2004 2:28:04 AM

no, he's azn.

SEX is like math. Add the bed, subtract the clothes, divide the legs, and hope you dont multiply
April 15, 2004 2:39:41 AM

J00 is t3h l337 pwnx0r!!

April 15, 2004 2:41:59 AM

relieve??

we need more post... we should make this super long lolz

i'm still doubtful about nVidia's shaders though... hope they prove me wrong

LONG LIVE NVIDIA!!!!

now i can't wait for R420 :D 

April 15, 2004 2:47:28 AM

yeah, so the FX6800 U can rip it a new one.

April 15, 2004 5:36:22 AM

nvidiot gather and kill grape!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D 

April 15, 2004 5:41:41 AM

DOH!!

April 15, 2004 5:41:58 AM

Quote:
*wets myself*

I told you to stop drinking all that beer.

<font color=red>___________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://www.subservientchicken.com/" target="_new">Get chicken the way you like it!</A></b>
April 15, 2004 5:50:35 AM

Looks like you found your ultimate dual DVI solution now huh flamey?

April 15, 2004 5:55:17 AM

He wants 3 monitors though.

<b><A HREF="http://www.subservientchicken.com/" target="_new">Get chicken the way you like it!</A></b>
April 15, 2004 6:40:50 AM

Well if you own CRT doesn't mean you're poor, you could have 2, 24" CRT monitors.

-AMD Athlon64 3200+@2300mhz -GAK8N -3x512 Hynix PC3200 ram@192mhz 2.5-3-3-7 -Albatron 5900PV @ 560/1000 -SB Audigy -Adaptec 1210SA Raid -2x120G Seagate SATA150 7200.7 Raid0 -Enermax 460watt psu
April 15, 2004 7:21:51 AM

Quote:
He wants 3 monitors though.

It was pretty much determined <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?nam..." target="_new">here</A> that his 3 monitor request wasnt going to happen anytime soon to any satisfying degree.

In the case he decides to go multimonitor at all, the 6800 Ultra looks like the ultimate choice.

April 15, 2004 7:25:18 AM

The 6800 is definitely a subpar choice. I agree.

April 15, 2004 7:31:38 AM

Quote:
The 6800 is definitely a subpar choice. I agree.

Going to go down with the ship, eh DH?

April 15, 2004 7:34:01 AM

Its only the f*ggot ATI devotees that cant admit a complete defeat of their overhyped Radeons.

April 15, 2004 7:52:34 AM

How can there be defeat claimed when the "<i>overhyped Radeons</i>" havn't come out yet?

<font color=blue>_______________________________</font color=blue>
Canada
Asus A7N8X-X, Athelon XP 2500+ Barton,
Samsung 1gb DDR400, MSI GeforceFX5900 XT.
Aquamark=<b>36077</b> 3DMark03=<b>5322</b>
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 15, 2004 8:01:37 AM

The new Geforce 6800Ultra is so powerful it's HSF has created a time vortex. And we have seen the future. And the Radeons aren't in it!

The future is <font color=blue>C</font color=blue><font color=orange>o</font color=orange>l<font color=green>o</font color=green><font color=red>u</font color=red><font color=purple>r</font color=purple> Etch-A-Sketch Man! :cool:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
April 15, 2004 8:16:11 AM

I meant the last generation. Which was overhyped, over credited and frankly now shown to be dismal failures as they did not outperform their FX counterparts, which were in essence, utter crap from NV.. and they still didnt win a undisputed crown.

So they matched NVs worst ever.
I'm so impressed.

Now meet some of NVs best.
Its over my friend.
Most of my NV40 predictions have been correct, NV40 rolled right over ATI without effort and on beta drivers.
Disagree if you will, but I'm putting my neck out on this right now- It will roll right over the X800 Pro as well.
Watch and learn son. Nvidia is back to show us how its done.

April 15, 2004 8:22:01 AM

LOL, well I'm glad ATI still exists.. I would rather have Matrox instead of dumpy old ATI in the game with Nvidia.
Or better yet, 3dfx vs. Nvidia.

Quote:
The future is Colour Etch-A-Sketch Man!

Its <A HREF="http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&v..." target="_new">color</A>!

April 15, 2004 10:29:32 AM

Yikes...
You guys turn on each other whenever one mentions that Nvidia or ATI whacks the other.. geeze.. love the competition not the competitors.. Anyway.. there's still not a single LCD monitor that can blast away a good crt no matter what you do. The sole reason for buying a LCD is the space it eats on your desk, compared to my 21" CRT a 20" LCD would look way better, also be easier with my eyes I believe.. nuff ranting about that. Regarding the 6800U, well the speed is amazing though the quality on the shaders are a disgrace, if you're willing to sacrifice quality for speed, be my guest, but don't come huffin' and puffin' when Nvidia releases a speedy but "low quality graphics" card.... I'll wait to see if it's a driver issue or more serious before I'ld buy it, besides it's not out yet, and ATI has yet to release it's new card. Only fools go with brand... but hey.. most people are idiots anyway..

-Hasse
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2004 11:31:57 AM

Yup, a high quality 19/21/22" CRT is far better for games than a 19" LCD.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
April 15, 2004 1:14:29 PM

Quote:
Only fools go with brand... but hey.. most people are idiots anyway..

Kudos to you, brother! You have just restored my faith in humanity.

<font color=green>Stingy people end up paying double. One kick-ass rig that will go strong for three years or one half-good one every year?</font color=green> :cool:
April 15, 2004 1:53:26 PM

It's ok kinney. Nobody here owns a 6800. Now you might claim that it is because they aren't available, but the truth is that nobody wants one.

So let's add up all the people with Radeon 9xxx series cards vs Nvidia 6800 series cards shall we?

I thought so. Nvidia fails miserably.

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 15, 2004 6:37:35 PM

Quote:
I would rather have Matrox instead of dumpy old ATI in the game with Nvidia.

Personally I would prefer MORE and MORE players. That's why many of us were pulling for XGI. Man did that ever dissapoint and blow up in our faces.

I bet we would have seen the NV40 and R420 FAR sooner had the Volari DUO outperformed the FX5950U and R9800XT.

More competition drives the participants much harder than an oligopoly that has settled into a comfortable position of dviding the wealth (or in this case performance).

BTW, do me a Fav<b>ou</b>r as a Neighb<b>ou</b>r, and spell it the English way. :tongue: It <b>IS</b> <i>ENGLISH</i> after all. :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
April 15, 2004 6:40:48 PM

No no no! I said overhyped by this forum! This forum made them out to be gods gift to gamers when the FX (besides 5800) were NOT nearly as bad as they were portrayed.
You'd thought that NV was going bankrupt, and that ATI had all the good engineers.
I exposed the truth all along, they got a lucky shot with their ArtX aquisition and its over.
The future will further prove my point.
If not, well, I'm wrong.

But I've always said that its going to be a return to pre-R300 days for ATI.
Thats not a big problem is it?

April 15, 2004 6:42:06 PM

The 9800XT is 2 years old?

Smoking the 9800XT by 50-100% is not amazing?

April 15, 2004 6:59:12 PM

Quote:
BTW, do me a Favour as a Neighbour, and spell it the English way. It IS ENGLISH after all.

You are mistaken, friend. The spelling you want is NOT the English spelling. It is American. English = British and they use British in Canada and in Australia and in ... New Zealand ... eerr ... the real thing as opposed to slang we in the USA call "English". Nah. It should be called "American"

<font color=green>Stingy people end up paying double. One kick-ass rig that will go strong for three years or one half-decent one every year?</font color=green> :cool:
April 15, 2004 7:34:56 PM

The Axis of Stupid just got bigger...

Axis of Stupid = coop, Kanavit, FUGGER, SoDNighthawk, and kinney.
April 15, 2004 8:00:29 PM

Did you expect something better fron nVidia?
April 15, 2004 8:25:28 PM

I didn't (btw my first post here guys) I had always been an ATI fan and worked at best buy computer department for a year. (sigh) I just ordered a nice P4 system and want to place an order / pre-order (in the 6800's case) for a high end video card. does anybody know if they are taking pre orders anywhere for the 6800 ?
April 15, 2004 8:54:16 PM

More players is of course better.
But with competition like Nvidia putting people out of business due to them operating like a well oiled machine (Terminator?) its hard to find place in the market for them.
NV pushed Matrox into their niche.
ATI back into 2nd seat.
And 3dfx gone forever.

I believe the natural order always results from such competition.
Competitors are always put into their place where they belong or deserve to be.
Capitalism results in the business equivalent of Darwinism.

As far as adding the "u".
If I'm not mistaken, thats the Old English variant on the modern English spelling.

I just double checked that with Websters and adding the "u" is middle english.

Which, has been refined to the modern color, you medieval boob! :tongue:

April 15, 2004 8:57:31 PM

stfu

April 15, 2004 8:57:43 PM

Nope, I've looked around the past two days. Newegg doesn't have it listed yet- neither does Amazon or any of the "usual suspects". IMO, I'd wait and see what ATI manages to put out before pre-buying the Nvidia. May as well take a look all the options, as you're going to be waiting 30-45 days to purchase it anyway.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 15, 2004 9:51:51 PM

The spelling I use, and want him to accomodate is the Queen's ENGLISH.

Perhaps you've misquoted who you think this is a reply to.

BTW British = a Collection of Islands and people under English rule (as in Great Britain and Northern Ireland), not a language or the Commonwealth of peoples.

As for being called American, shouldn't it be distinct for that. Couldn't you just call it POORENGLISH? OR Ameribonics maybe? :tongue:

a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
April 15, 2004 9:58:37 PM

Checking Webster's doesn't help it's the American Dictionary of the American-English Language. Try OXFORD.

And no it's quite current, just middle American english obviously. :tongue:

You're so provincial (and you guys don't even have provinces!)! :lol: 

The online says <A HREF="http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&v..." target="_new">"Chiefly British (despite most of the Commonwealth using it) variant of color".</A>

Quote:
Nvidia putting people out of business... ...ATI back into 2nd seat.

Now that's Medieval thinking there. :tongue:

April 15, 2004 10:02:49 PM

lol I see someone is NV bias. Yes the 6800U is 50-100% faster than the 9800XT. but its also 70-130% faster than the 5950! It seems someone likes to run their mouth, before the competition has even released there card! I suggest u wait before deeming the 6800U as best there is best there ever was!

And yes Someone us speak Canadian English! Glad for it,i've heard some americans really butcher the English language.
April 15, 2004 10:11:53 PM

lol, on my 1.2Ghz comp it'll be l337ness! :lol: 
Nah, I might as well wait for the NV50.

April 15, 2004 10:13:09 PM

(but yes, I'd be all over this thing otherwise! It's a really nice card, and I had the honor of making all the l337 Ati kids at my school say oooo shizzz dawg when I showed em tom's benchies:) :) 

April 15, 2004 10:14:11 PM

We may not be smart enough to organize, but we have Captain Planet rings biznatch!!

Mine's fire

FIRE!!!!!!

Come on squirtle, use ur water man!

April 15, 2004 10:15:36 PM

Good afternoon gentleman.I couldn't resist from posting here.It's true that nVidia surprised us but we should wait until ATI bring to publicity it's new generation card.Only after that we will be able to come out with reliable conclusions.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2004 11:09:20 PM

<Smoking the 9800XT by 50-100% is not amazing?>

The 6800U's performance sure is amazing. I am definately impressed so far. Hat's off to NV for the performance boost and taking care of almost all of their lousy IQ problems. I only hope they don't keep dropping IQ with their drivers if ATI is somehow able to beat them fps wise. NV40 doesn't need any more fps to prove it's worth, but dropping IQ will hurt it's appeal in my eyes.

It isn't the biggest performance leap ever though, as the R9700Pro beat out the Ti4600 by even more than NV40 is beating out 9800XT an 5950U.
<A HREF="http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1683&p=20" target="_new">http://anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1683&p=20&lt;/A>

How is a 1600x1200 aa/af in Jedi Knight 2. The Ti4600 scored 21.6 fps, the Radeon 9700 Pro scored 101.2

I'd all in all give the edge to the 9700 Pro, but the fact that the 6800U is so much faster than any card we can buy right now, sure makes it easy to forget that this kind of prior-generation-crushing-thing has been done before.

ABIT IS7, P4 2.6C, 512MB Corsair TwinX PC3200LL, Radeon 9800 Pro, Santa Cruz, TruePower 430watt
April 15, 2004 11:15:48 PM

I'm going to run the actual numbers on generational leaps. The sad truth is, they can be construed to show a couple different results I'm sure.

April 15, 2004 11:19:00 PM

Quote:
It's ok kinney. Nobody here owns a 6800. Now you might claim that it is because they aren't available, but the truth is that nobody wants one.

So let's add up all the people with Radeon 9xxx series cards vs Nvidia 6800 series cards shall we?

I thought so. Nvidia fails miserably.

That doesnt even make sense DH.

Seriously I wonder what happened to you? Talk about blind leading the blind.

Lets also add up all the R420s in existence vs. NV40s..
I thought so. ATI failed miserably.

Yep, that makes just as much (non)sense as your childish analogy.

April 15, 2004 11:20:48 PM

Quote:
! It seems someone likes to run their mouth, before the competition has even released there card! I suggest u wait before deeming the 6800U as best there is best there ever was!

Of course I'm running my mouth.
Alas, no more than the ATI crew around here has for some time now.

NOW, ATI looks to be in a pinch and we're hearing excuses all over the place.

Why wait to deem it the best?
Unless the new ATI is better, it currently IS the best there ever was!

Theres no other way about it.

!