Phalanx01

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
I've been planning to purchase a new computer in one of the coming months, however when I read the CPU review I noticed that the P5 isn't far from release anymore... since I am an Intel fanboy (all the way) I've been looking around for a solid P4 3.0 Gig CPU, but I'm kind of wondering if it won't be a waste of money if I would buy a new Intel CPU P4 + Mainboard (chipset 875) right now instead of waiting for the P5. Any advice from anyone on this mather would be highly appreciated.

-> I'm also planning on buying a new HD and a new Graphics card (Nvidia brand, but what serie is best?) in the near future (possibly sooner then a new CPU and mainboard) Any advice on what to look for here is also appreciated.

My current system is a:
P4 1.8 Gig 400FSB
MSI 850 Pro mainboard
512 RIMM memory
64 mb RADEON 8500 (now this was a major mistake!)
Audigy 2 sound card (best sound ever heard)
80 Gig HD WD

dhlucke

Polypheme
What do you use the PC for? Are you interested in playing Doom III and Half Life 2?

I'd also try to get the fanboyism out of your system. You might end up making a purchase that you regret otherwise

Phalanx01

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
Gaming mostly however I do develop websites also, so a solid graphics card is necessary. I'm kinda unsure what to do with those P5 that are nearly gonna be released...

Is it a bad thing if there is smoke coming out of my case?

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
You should be aware that new cpu's on release will cost premium. Expect intel to price their P5 on release by more than $400. The 3.0GHz will still be a very good choice.

<font color=blue>
My computer is <b>sooo fast</b>,
It finished <b>SETI</b> in <b>10 seconds.</b>
<font color=blue>

Phalanx01

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
Yeah, I think I'll stick with a P4 for now, saw the same thing with the P4 however I still think that the P4 is a bit overprized, but hey, you get what you pay for eh.

I'll keep my eyes out for a descent P4 3.0 Ghz with 800FSB and preferably with HT tech. Thanks for the advice!

dhlucke

Polypheme
Yeah, I think that's a good CPU to use then. Just make sure you look at the ATI Radeon cards before committing to Nvidia.

Personally I think the ATI cards are a much better buy right now for the high end cards which you'd be looking at.

Phalanx01

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2003
Well, I'd more like to buy an Nvidia card, like the Geforce FX 5900 256Mb Ultra edition, HOWEVER like you said the prize for such a card is a small fortune, so I'll wait a few more months before purchasing one. I currently own an ATI card (RADEON 8500) and I sometimes experience a few trouble with the drivers (especially in older games).

G

Phalanx01,
As I have read, Intels next processor will not be called P5. I think it will be called P4P? Their next new processor called Prescott will be released on Feb 2, 2004, and start off at 3.4 Grhz. and have 1mb of cache. I was thinking some what the same thing as far as waiting goes. I would wait to some time around mid February and see if the cost of the P4/875P processors come down. The new Prescott will be 478 socket but there are some issues concerning them as to if there are boards that will meet it's specifications, I don't mean fit or work, I mean specifications, and don't ask me what that's supposed to mean by specifications, but that's the word that was used. I know Asus says it's P4C800 does but from what I have read it may not completely, nor does any of the others. I read that Sometime during Q2 or Q3 Intel will change the Prescott 478 socket to something with way more pins. If they go through with this socket change the Prescott processor will no longer fit any mobo currently available. You will probably see a new mobo just to fit this new processor. If anyone goes out and buy's the new Prescott and then the board makers come out with a new board to fit the redesigned Prescott with more pins (that's if they do this) you will be stuck with a processor that will not fit the new boards yet to come out. For those who want to have the I in it, it might be best to wait till some of the smoke clears in regards to Mr.Prescott.......Vista

<b>"A politician should do two terms-one in office & one in jail"</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by vista on 01/19/04 07:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>