CF slot on PDA

Starion15

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2003
What the heck is it used for? I'm wanting to buy a pda, but the only ones that I can afford that have CF slots are quite large, so I'm wondering if its worth it.

And, on a slightly different note, does anyone know what kinda of slot/port most of the keyboards for PocketPc's need?

Thanks.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I just got a viewsonic v36, but have looked at quite a few models of pda's Most of the higher model/higher priced pocket pc's have both a cf slot and sd slot for expansion/memory cards. A lot more add on devices use cf right now so if you are planning on using wifi, blue tooth, or gps cards along with an additional memory card I would find one that has both slots. Most models of pda's right now just have a sd slot which sucks for two reasons. First is most add ons right now are for cf slots and secondly if you are using a sd wifi card right now you can't use have any extra memory for your pda because the only slot your unit has is being used. This of course will change around mid-year when sandisk brings out there sd+256meg sd wifi card. Right now they already offer a cf wifi and cf wifi+128meg card.

<pre> /\
|| (-: Fun with ASCII :)
/\/\||/\/|
\ /
\______/
| |
| |
</pre><p>

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
oh and as for keyboards those are usually a pda model or brand specific item. A keyboard for one brand most likely will not work for another. Some toshiba models have an expantion pack that offers the abilty to hook up a external monitor and usb keyboard to there pda's but the addon costs around $100 and only works on some of the older models.

<pre> /\
|| (-: Fun with ASCII :)
/\/\||/\/|
\ /
\______/
| |
| |
</pre><p>