Is it worth buying Vista for a new build before Windows 7?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dblakes221

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
I am in the process of building a new Intel Core i7 PC and am torn over what to do about the operating system. I would ideally like to use the new computer before October 22 when Windows 7 is released, but I would have to buy a copy of Vista in order to do so.

Is it worth my time and effort to purchase Vista 64-bit now and get the free upgrade to Windows 7 later? ... or should I just wait until October so Windows 7 will be a fresh install on my system?

Solution

It all depends on how soon you plan to finish the computer. If you're ready to fire it up now, then buy Vista and upgrade later. Its not like Vista is a total disaster anyway, especially with all the updates that have been made since its initial release. Further, October 22 is...

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Most posters including myself, will tell you/recommend that you do a fresh install either way, so if you cant wait, then buy vista now, get the free upgrade coupon, which should get you a win 7 dvd when it comes out, and do a fresh install.

sailer

Splendid

It all depends on how soon you plan to finish the computer. If you're ready to fire it up now, then buy Vista and upgrade later. Its not like Vista is a total disaster anyway, especially with all the updates that have been made since its initial release. Further, October 22 is nearly two months away and you never know if MS will delay it for unknown reason. Another reason to install an OS now instead of waiting until Oct. 22 is to verify that all the parts work while you can still easily RMA them if necessary. Many retailers have a 30 days RMA policy, which would be long past by Oct 22, so an RMA could be more complicated.

If you will be finishing your build sometime in October, you might then plan to wait it out. I plan to do an i7 build myself, but I'm waiting until after Win 7 is out before I start buying parts. That way everything will be done at once, no waiting for individual parts involved. But that's my plan, and you have your decisions to make. Personally, if you have the build started now, I'd buy the Vista and upgrade when the time comes.

Solution

dblakes221

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2009
Thank you for the comments. I guess I will finish the PC build now and test it with either Vista or XP to make sure it works and do a clean install of Windows 7 later.

madmax808

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009

That's probably the best route to go.

Option 2 is to use Windows 7 RC until it comes out on shelves, but that would involve having downloaded the RC already, since I believe that you can't download it anymore.

Or Option C is to run Linux in the meantime; maybe Ubuntu or SuSE, if you can live without Windows for the time being.

jasperjones

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009

I'd run Ubuntu until Oct. 22. Ubuntu installs in 30min max on a Core i7 including all software (Bittorrent client, Firefox, Office/Productivity, you name it) except for 3D graphics driver.

A proper Vista install takes 6 hours or longer if done properly unless you have slipstream media. First, driver installation. Then, playing in all the Microsoft updates and virus scanner offline (which takes gazillions of reboots and lots of time, maybe not quite so long with SP2 media). Then you need Firefox, OpenOffice, media players, Adobe Reader, Flash, JRE, IM client, etc. etc. etc. I don't think it's worth it for just a few weeks.

6 hours?

Absolutely not. On my computer, it took about 30min for the base OS, plus maybe 10min for drivers and another 20min for basic applications. It can take under an hour with a fast internet connection if you do it right, and should never take more than 2 hours.

daship

Distinguished
^ 6 hours on dial up maybe.

Why not buy Windows 7 retail on ebay right now. Theres people selling their technet keys for $50-$100, each key is good for 1o installs so if you get one that hasnt been sold alot you can upgrade another PC or two while your at it.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Ya Im not feeling you there, I have installed vista 64 bit and 32 bit on lots of builds, ranging from Intel E5200 to there Quads, AMD's single core-Quads and even on a single core processor I have never seen more then a 2 hour install.

6 hours, man do you have like 10 games to install with steam accounts for each game?

VinnyChase

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
My situation is very similar. I'm planning a new build and will most likely have it built by late September.

I ultimately want Windows 7 as my OS, so buying Vista w/ free Windows 7 upgrade (cheaper than Windows 7 upgrade alone) or the retail version are options. Another is to buy the OEM version of Windows 7.

I'm also considering using Windows 7 Enterprise Trial until Windows 7 is available and then doing a clean install.

There's still a lot unclear on how the various methods of installing will work. I found this article which helped.

http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/review_upgrade.asp

Snow_Patrol

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Everyone here seems to be forgetting one thing: Vista allows you to use it for free for up to 90 days using the license for the 30-day grace period. I would suggest installing whatever version of Vista you want, renewing the license after the thirty days to run Vista until 7 is released, and then bag yourself a copy of Windows 7 Home Premium.

To anyone contemplating this: this practice violates the Technet licensing terms and if Microsoft finds out about it they'll invalidate your key and you'll have wasted your $50-100.

Snow_Patrol

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009

Its not a total waste of money. Technet and MSDN subs aren't meant for the general public, and the keys you get are more suited for Admins to test out the new operating systems and even include them into a network without buying a volume license key or separate physical copies.

My lecturer in college has a Technet subscription, and we got ten Widows 7 keys off it and installed 7 Enterprise on ten computers. It doesn't matter that the key can only be used ten times, we just clone the drives and can keep the activated installs for years.

threednonsense

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
As much as I hate Vista, did anyone think of the fact that by getting Vista now, you can choose between Vista or Windows 7? Not sure why you would want Vista, but having both is nice...

My initial comment would have been, if you already have an os, why do you need Vista? You can always wait for Windows 7.

threednonsense

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Hmmm, gee, Idk, I've only had the RC and gone through Vista since the beginning, but silly me decided to try it with sp1 and guess what? Sure it was faster, but it was still Vista. Two years? You weren't around for the original release, so really how can you comment on such things with your proven ignorance? You said it yourself, I was just commenting with what you said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6qIETRCxbw

threednonsense

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
Put it this way, it has less support for games. And I know what your going to say. That's all I use my computer for. But seriously, I'm sure it's not anything you absolutely need Vista for. That's what's wrong with it. Initial released was a joke and it still hasn't given much more for a whole new os. What's wrong with Vista? It cost money, that's what's wrong with it.

threednonsense

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
@medjohnson

You referring to me? I didn't install Vista on a 478, that's asking for trouble. Funny thing is, I can make an edcuated guess as of now that Windows 7 wouldn't have that problem... Hmmm...

What people don't see is that Vista was initially half of Bill Gates work of art. Microsoft took over during the time and decided to release it unfinished. This is why I refuse to buy or upgrade to anymore Windows products until they get their act together. Again, most people don't know this.

medjohnson77

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2008
Yes we can all see that your in the know about alot of things, Oh yes thats right you could of downloaded the RC of Windows 7 free from MS and tried it for almost a year, so much for educated guess's and being in the know...

threednonsense

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009

Seriously, you need to change your way of thinking. Yeah, we all know that Windows 7 is free but is that point? No.

The thing is, I also knew about Windows 7, but why didn't I choose to use it, because honestly, I'm a hardcore computer user and realizes that XP does all I need, and is the fastest os to date so far. Yeah, I tried Windows 7 rc, the early version and I also tried the early version of Vista with the few thousand legit keys that went out in less than half an hour. But all in all, what has Windows Vista or Windows 7 actually offered the consumer over XP? Besides eye candy and a few nifty useless features, next to nothing...

Thanks for noticing my knowledge about computers, I'm truly flattered, but I'm a hardcore enthusiast and I'll be honest, I do a lot of research before I make a computer purchase and anyone that takes these forums too personally shouldn't be on here.

I just post here because I have a lot of extra time, learned a lot, it keeps me active in the computer knowledge thinking realm, and I can say for sure I've never given anybody advice out of opinion whether it went against my own personal choice.

For the record, Technologycoordinator should get some recognition because he's the only person I know that can keep it "somewhat" factual without offending anyone. And I"ll admit, I give better advice then TC, but he has a way that doesn't offend anyone, which something I'm just not good at.

No offense TC, but when it really comes down it, nobody likes the sugar coated version.

Status
Not open for further replies.