Sign in with
Your question

Brought to you by THG

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2004 3:32:33 AM

<A HREF="http://www.tomshardware.com/graphic/20040414/geforce_68..." target="_new">The dual-slot solution described above significantly improves the cooling efficiency and also reduces the noise level. Lastly, in AGP motherboards, the size won't matter much anyway.</A> This comment comming from the same site that tells you SFF boxes are great for gamers. BTW, it case you didn't know, the card won't fit those cases.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

More about : brought thg

April 15, 2004 4:00:04 AM

It's a reasonable statement, considering this comment was made when the 9800XT was the king of graphics cards and could easily be placed in a SFF box.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2004 4:44:34 AM

I'm going to assume you didn't actually read what was said, because I'd hate to think any lesser of your abilities. But just in case you DID read it and still don't understand, the 9800XT isn't a double-width card, and SFF boxes don't support double-width cards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2004 5:26:31 AM

But can you use the card in a double-wide trailer? :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
April 15, 2004 6:42:58 AM

Oh, ppl are stupid enough. Don't worry about that.

-AMD Athlon64 3200+@2300mhz -GAK8N -3x512 Hynix PC3200 ram@192mhz 2.5-3-3-7 -Albatron 5900PV @ 560/1000 -SB Audigy -Adaptec 1210SA Raid -2x120G Seagate SATA150 7200.7 Raid0 -Enermax 460watt psu
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2004 7:13:04 AM

Wait, how do I mod my R9600Pro into an R9800Pro again?!? :wink:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 
April 15, 2004 7:14:42 AM

First you will need some tinfoil, some used chewing gum, and a toilet paper roll.

<font color=red>___________</font color=red>
<b><A HREF="http://www.subservientchicken.com/" target="_new">Get chicken the way you like it!</A></b>
April 15, 2004 7:18:59 AM

Just a quick demo of how retarded one of my friend is, he used industrial epoxy, not thermal epoxy, industrial epoxy, and glued a Swiftech MCX4000 to his Geforce FX5800. Without any other support.

So what do you think will happen first?
1.GPU overheat since industrial epoxy conducts heat like crap?
2.Heatsink will fall off since there are no other support?
3.Or simply snap the card out of the AGP slot

If you answered 3 then raise your devil horns! You GOT IT!

It actually snapped his card in half. Great way to toss 400 bucks plus tax.

<A HREF="http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/myrig.php?do=view..." target="_new">My PC</A>
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2004 7:46:34 AM

OK, I have the required Items, what next?

If I use a paper towel roll can I make it an XT?

a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2004 7:49:26 AM

You could've shortened the post a bit (FanATIc style) :wink: .

<i>Just a quick demo of how retarded one of my friend is,</i>......

He bought an FX5800!

Badump-Bump Cha! :evil: 

April 15, 2004 8:48:36 AM

Err, can someone please explain to me why SFF is good for gamers??? About the only reason I see is because most don't work out enough, and therefore any reduction in case weight will help to reduce the liklihood of their arms breaking whilst carrying their PC to a LAN party.

Any other reason?

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=27..." target="_new">My Rigs</A>
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2004 11:19:05 PM

That's the whole idea, sacrifice everything for the excuse of portability.

April 15, 2004 11:43:01 PM

i think u have to throw it into the microwave next grape :D 

RIP Block Heater....HELLO P4~~~~~
120% nVidia Fanboy+119% Money Fanboy
GeForce 6800 Ultra--> The Way we thought FX 5800Ultra is meant to be played
THGC's resident Asian and nVboy :D 
April 16, 2004 2:43:55 AM

Error404 Document not found.
a b U Graphics card
April 16, 2004 3:38:53 AM

Yes, they had a mispell in their original, they fixed it, so I just now did too.

April 17, 2004 9:32:39 PM

But please!
What does it matter? The statment that SFFs are good for games is STILL VALID! Despite that the current 6800 cards might not fit. Because:
A, you don't have to have a 6800 to be able to play games
B, There might come versions that will fit
C, There might be a change in future SFF!
If statements where suppoused to be true for all hardware hanges in the future no statement would be correct. Even the 6800, which for now is the "best" gamingcard will be obsoete in a few years.

So my point being that your point isn't valid!

Bah!

Turk
a b U Graphics card
April 17, 2004 10:32:49 PM

No, double width cards have been around for years, the 5800 was even double width. Proving that your whole point of view isn't valid.

My point is that they can't say double width isn't a problem after advertising SFF as the ideal form factor for gamers. The fact is that double width is still a problem for SFF, and this is a gaming card.

You just don't seem to see the order of things:
1.) nVidia releases the 5800 as double width
2.) Tom's promotes SFF (with AGP) as ideal for gamers
3.) Tom's advocates the 6800 double width card as ideal for gamers, and says that the card fit won't be a problem for AGP equiped boards.

In that order. They implied that the card will fit any system with an AGP slot, when it won't necessarily fit the boxes that suggest you use for the same application. You see, SFF boxes put the AGP slot on the outside, some might have enough space to clear the cooler while others won't. At least this card doesn't have a double-wide slot cover as the 5800 did, which would force it not to work in ANY SFF.

April 18, 2004 12:27:34 AM

Quote:
My point is that they can't say double width isn't a problem after advertising SFF as the ideal form factor for gamers.

Quote:
This comment comming from the same site that tells you SFF boxes are great for gamers.

Which is it? Ideal or Great for Gamers? Those are two very different things, which was said?

Anyways, I don't see what the problem is?? Tom says SFF is good for gamers, and later says that the 6800 will fit any AGP board? So what? Anyone who is interested in SFF will no doubt understand that there are certain sacrifices that have to be made. Like not using double width cards!

I'm not sure what ur so peeved about? Seems like you're just picking on THG
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2004 8:02:38 AM

stfu

a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2004 8:07:02 AM

OK, let me put this to you straight, because you seem a bit dense: THG lied. Sorry, it may not have been intentional, but they made a misleading statement. They implied the card would fit any AGP board, but I know this is not true.

That's the whole point of the original post. Anything you say to try and sidetrack the issue is irrelavent.

I used SFF as an example of why the statement in their 6800 article is misleading. And I backed up that it was a GOOD example because Tom's has been promoting SFF for the same purpose as the card.

a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2004 8:11:42 AM

If you were a newb and read THG SFF articles and decided SFF really was perfect for you because of LAN parties, then read their 6800 article and decided the card really was good for you because it plays games so well, having read the statement that fitment won't be a problem, you'd be shocked when your first system build didn't go as planned.

April 18, 2004 1:43:01 PM

And why dont you just state that the 6800 wont fit all AGP slots instead of the tone you are setting in your harsh aqusations? And yes, you are right in bringing up the point that the 6800 wont fit many SFFs but from there going on like you do is simply too much.

"Get your act tougheter or your act will get you"

Turk
April 18, 2004 3:52:09 PM

I think you're taking their "lie" a little bit too seriously. While I certainly don't think all their reviews are perfect, I think you're being way too critical of them.
You used the example of the card not fitting into a SFF board, and you're critical saying that that's a lie because they said it would fit any AGP board. But it also won't fit into a notebook motherboard! and notebooks use an AGP Bus!
If reviewers took the time to mention all the possible configurations that do and do not work, then reviews would be 100 pages long and take months to write. Some motherboards were incompatible with GeForce4 Ti4600 cards, some Radeons wouldn't work with certain boards made by Gigabyte, should reviewers know this and mention this every time they test with them?

My point is, who really cares if Tom says that the 6800 is an ideal gaming card, but doesn't mention that they don't fit into SFF machines? I mean come on? Really? Does it really piss you off that much? Did you get really excited after reading the review, thinking you would make a SFF PC with a 6800 and then realized that it wouldn't fit and blamed it all on Tom's?
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2004 10:01:42 PM

Because the statement that the "size won't matter much" implies that it will fit.

a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2004 10:08:13 PM

Because it's brought to you by an author who's completely familiar with SFF as he's worked on those articles as well. I'd be a lot easier on a newbie writer. They didn't need to mention all possible configurations, they simply should have stated the truth, that a double slot AGP card will fit in most systems, but fitment might be a problem in some. Rather than to say it shouldn't matter much. I don't think he intended to deceive anyone as so many of our forum members do, rather he got very sloppy. Fitment issues are something this author is familiar with first-hand.

I'm hard on these guys because a lot of their readers have never built a system. I know you might find that hard to believe, but THG is a major information site for people just starting out in the hobby.

a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2004 10:29:03 PM

Who the hell are you to call ME a dirtbag? You're the one who just jumped in. Hell, let's ALL gang up on this guy.

I remember this riot in detroit which started when a 12 year old stole same ladies purse. She grabbed him and started fighting for her purse when a gang of people started attacking her. Why? She was white, the boy was black, and the surrounding crowd of blacks took it as a racial incident.

So now that some guy stole my wallet you and your friends are going to beat me up for trying to take it back, thanks, dirtbag.

April 18, 2004 10:41:19 PM

I can respect your point of view, I just don't think its as big of deal as you do. But whatever.

GW: If you're not interested in this topic, then don't post. I'm not sure how this is the wrong forum seeing as we are talking about GRAPHIC CARDS and this IS THE GRAPHIC CARD FORUM! Last time I checked you're not the forum police, so why do you care?
a b U Graphics card
April 18, 2004 11:10:44 PM

Hey, sorry if I offended you, I'm just trying to look out for the little guy.

April 18, 2004 11:14:30 PM

You brought up a subject involving SFF PC's...and when others have chimed in their opinions, you accuse them of being stupid. Your a class act. I suggest other take notice of the way you treat people.

P.S.
I call you a dirtbag, because you look like a dirtbag, and I dont like you. Let me be clear on that.

<A HREF="http://rmitz.org/AYB3.swf" target="_new">All your base are belong to us.</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=2216718" target="_new"><b>3DMark03</b></A>
April 18, 2004 11:35:39 PM

<i>Screwing myself</i>
<i>Spews all over GW's face</i>

Ahhh... You like that?
April 19, 2004 1:06:23 AM

Re: Hey, sorry if I offended you, I'm just trying to look out for the little guy.

You are not looking out for the little guy you are strictly looking out for yourself and your huge ego. Calling thg liars you are miffed cause they got you figured out and won't hire you as an editor. all they need is another omid.

Calling me a liar p4man dishonest in the cpu forums..... You are a selfish spoilt brat and a complete waste of space.

I have absolutely zero respect for you. LOOSER

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2004 9:37:51 AM

On that issue, there are no opinions that matter, only facts that matter. The fact is he said fitment wouldn't be an issue, when in fact it's an issue he's familiar with. All kinds of people chimed in to say I was wrong when they knew I was right. The fact was, he said one thing, when another was true, I simply pointed out the fact.

A lot of people can't take the truth when it's based on fact. They mire themselves in opinions. On that issue I stuck to the facts. People got confused when I used examples. Some just wanted to argue. I just wanted to protect the innocent when my important message to those innocent people got squandered by a bunch of guys who didn't want to face the facts.

And that's why you just might be the dirtbag. I treat people well when they deserve it. Calling my "judgement" into question when there's nothing involved but facts doesn't deserve fair treatment. Once again, the facts of that post were, he made a generalization which he shouldn't have, I was only trying to point it out.

a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2004 9:50:10 AM

I know you have zero respect for anyone that doesn't agree with you. I might even have to start a new post on this topic as you guys have obviously sabatoged this one. I'm not as petty as you, I'm just trying to point out a simple flaw of "over-generalization" from the article, in the hopes nobody makes a poor purchasing decision with parts that won't work together. You're the one that's "miffed" because you have such a hard time finding fault in me.

April 19, 2004 9:59:46 AM

Why do you waste your time Crash?

April 19, 2004 10:05:26 AM

and to think that people are still checking this forum hoping to actually find some info on video cards... and what do they find instead?
Guys, I don't mean to offend anyone, I'm not taking sides, I'm a stranger, and you are Honorary Guru's, Gigolo's, Ancients or whatever. But just only one sugestion: start acting your age. This kind of flame never stops and it's not really helping anyone. And I DO believe that we're here to help each other.

Just my 2 cents.

"I cannot give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma"
- The Wizard of Oz, talking to the Scarecrow
April 19, 2004 10:09:29 AM

Good point cyro.
Inflammatory remark withdrawn.

Beside the point that Crash is completely in the right.

Now he's a liberal.</font color=purple></b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kinney on 04/19/04 05:13 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2004 10:21:08 AM

Sorry, I'm just too good natured. Got lied to a lot when I was a kid. Put together a bad system based on review site info when I first got started. Try to help others avoid these pitfalls.

April 19, 2004 10:33:13 AM

Heh, if I was to build systems reading the reviews here in Romania, I would buy only Jetways and GeCubes, and use sycron memories :lol: 

You get the idea... never trust a single opinion. Many publications and sites are heavily influenced by the amount of money coming from adds and other marketing stuff. If you trust them too much, you will, in turn, end up claiming the same bullsh*t.

"I cannot give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma"
- The Wizard of Oz, talking to the Scarecrow
a b U Graphics card
April 19, 2004 10:37:44 AM

If you read the first post of this thread, you'll find I did post some very usefull information on video cards, but because I didn't restrict the statement through the use of excessively long explanations, people decided they could misinterpret the post any way they choose. I'm hoping the thread will start to fall back soon, as I've posted a better restricted version in a new, yet uncorrupted, thread.

April 19, 2004 11:19:40 PM

Cause he is a wate of space just like you!

Re: because you have such a hard time finding fault in me.

Yeah right crash statments like that are your biggest fault. Huge ego small brain and no ethics with plenty of motive.

Re: Beside the point that Crash is completely in the right.

kinney He is right that thg made an ever so slight over sight he is wrong in calling them liars its a small mistake is all. Problem is crash has motive to say ridiculus things like that. Don't be fooled by I am just looking out for the little guy. (if you don't understand the word motive look it up)

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.
April 19, 2004 11:53:24 PM

Quote:

Cause he is a wate of space just like you!

Re: because you have such a hard time finding fault in me.

Yeah right crash statments like that are your biggest fault. Huge ego small brain and no ethics with plenty of motive.

Re: Beside the point that Crash is completely in the right.

kinney He is right that thg made an ever so slight over sight he is wrong in calling them liars its a small mistake is all. Problem is crash has motive to say ridiculus things like that. Don't be fooled by I am just looking out for the little guy. (if you don't understand the word motive look it up)

Shut up you f*cking drama queen.

What a little b*tch.

April 20, 2004 12:05:27 AM

You will just have to try and make me kinney. Those are pretty big shoes you are tying to wear.

Lets see how they fit.

April 20, 2004 12:12:27 AM

No one gives a damn about you faggot.

April 20, 2004 12:23:24 AM

You work for NASA or something. How did you think up a comeback like that so quick?

!