Does Fido have MMS now?

Hi all, just saw a Fido TV ad that said you can send pictures around the
world. Is this referring to MMS?

Brian
27 answers Last reply
More about does fido

    Yes. MMS is available from Fido as of April 20th, 2004. You may have to
    activate it in your account if you activated your line after February 2004.
    though.

    CU

    "Brian G" <bgon@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all, just saw a Fido TV ad that said you can send pictures around the
    > world. Is this referring to MMS?
    >
    > Brian

    About firken time. How much are they charging for it? Highway robbery again?

    "Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Yes. MMS is available from Fido as of April 20th, 2004. You may have to
    > activate it in your account if you activated your line after February
    2004.
    > though.
    >
    > CU
    >
    > "Brian G" <bgon@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all, just saw a Fido TV ad that said you can send pictures around the
    > > world. Is this referring to MMS?
    > >
    > > Brian

    Free for first month I think then 25 cents per msg after that.

    TPG.

    "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > About firken time. How much are they charging for it? Highway robbery
    again?

    > "Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Yes. MMS is available from Fido as of April 20th, 2004. You may have to
    > > activate it in your account if you activated your line after February
    > 2004.
    > > though.
    > >
    > > CU
    > >
    > > "Brian G" <bgon@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi all, just saw a Fido TV ad that said you can send pictures around
    the
    > > > world. Is this referring to MMS?
    > > >
    > > > Brian

    Hmm, not as bad as I thought, that's actually kinda reasonable, unless they
    limit it somehow. TTYL

    "The Photo Guy" <thephotoguy_NoSpam_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Free for first month I think then 25 cents per msg after that.
    >
    > TPG.
    >
    > "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > About firken time. How much are they charging for it? Highway robbery
    > again?
    > >
    > > "Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Yes. MMS is available from Fido as of April 20th, 2004. You may have
    > > > activate it in your account if you activated your line after February
    > > 2004.
    > > > though.
    > > >
    > > > CU
    > > >
    > > > "Brian G" <bgon@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
    > the

    Nothing Fido has ever done has been highway robbery.

    "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > About firken time. How much are they charging for it? Highway robbery
    again?

    Hehe, right, good joke there...

    "Super Dave" <souperdave@canada.com> wrote in message
    > Nothing Fido has ever done has been highway robbery.
    >
    > "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > About firken time. How much are they charging for it? Highway robbery
    > again?

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 01:56:10 -0400, Cellular Unlocker says...

    > Yes. MMS is available from Fido as of April 20th, 2004. You may have to
    > activate it in your account if you activated your line after February 2004.
    > though.

    Does it work with prepaid?

    From their website:

    "Now you can take pictures, add text and sound, and send them to other
    Fido monthly package subscribers"

    Monthly package only?

    But then again on the FAQ page it says:

    "Who can I exchange picture messages with?

    You can exchange picture messages with any other Fido customer who also
    has an MMS-compatible handset. Sending a message is similar to text
    messaging in that you send the picture message to another Fido customer=3Fs
    number."

    I wonder if Rogers will follow suit?

    "Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4084bc5d$1_1@aeinews....
    : Yes. MMS is available from Fido as of April 20th, 2004. You may have to
    : activate it in your account if you activated your line after February 2004.
    : though.
    :
    : CU
    :
    : "Brian G" <bgon@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
    : news:Tc_gc.142256$2oI1.2834@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
    : > Hi all, just saw a Fido TV ad that said you can send pictures around the
    : > world. Is this referring to MMS?
    : >
    : > Brian
    : >
    : >
    :
    :

    I don't know about that.....for one thing they have contracts now and their prices of phones have skyrocketed. Oh, let's not forget the $45 City Fido rate increase as well.

    "Super Dave" <souperdave@canada.com> wrote in message news:Szlhc.193605$oR5.11145@pd7tw3no...
    : Nothing Fido has ever done has been highway robbery.
    :

    Looks like you can only send a picture to another Fido user. I tried
    sending a pic to my cousin in Greece (who does have an MMS-enabled
    phone), and it gave me an error. :( Any ideas when it'll expand to
    allow MMS to other geographies and users?

    Thanx,

    ..:. tony

    City Fido went up 5 bux........wooooooo BIG DEAL. It's still a steal at the
    price! Contracts are OPTIONAL just like with everyone else. Handsets have
    gone up but nothing they have ever done is what I'd call "highway robbery"
    The previous poster has been whining for years, and considers a 1 cent
    increase to be a ripoff. Enough said!

    "Pavel" <none@none.com> wrote in message
    I don't know about that.....for one thing they have contracts now and their
    prices of phones have skyrocketed. Oh, let's not forget the $45 City Fido
    rate increase as well.

    "Super Dave" <souperdave@canada.com> wrote in message
    : Nothing Fido has ever done has been highway robbery.
    :

    No kidding, my previous bills used to be in the $300 - $400 range with
    another provider. City Fido at $40 was a great deal, so at $45 it's only the
    difference of saving $350 or $345 per month! Other company's plans charge 50
    bux per month for 500 minutes, Fido gives me 5000, who's guilty of highway
    robbery?

    Cheers,
    Lubos

    Lubos Hrasko wrote:

    > No kidding, my previous bills used to be in the $300 - $400 range with
    > another provider. City Fido at $40 was a great deal, so at $45 it's only the
    > difference of saving $350 or $345 per month! Other company's plans charge 50
    > bux per month for 500 minutes, Fido gives me 5000, who's guilty of highway
    > robbery?

    But is your bill $45.00 , or is it $45.00 plus some unavoidable 6.95 charge ?

    Also, it is likely that FIDO will want its CityFido to eventually start to buy
    added features such as GPRS etc.

    What it not clear to me is whether CityFido is actually sustainable in the
    long term with large number of sucscribers, or whether this is actually a plan
    to raise ARPU and reduce churn which is what (and some say "all") Bay Street
    is looking at.

    Back to the MMS thing, I am glad that FIDO is actually advertising "leading
    edge" stuff that it putting it ahead of its competitors. This is a first since
    the very early days of Fido in Montreal where it did brag about having more
    features than the legacy analogue suppliers back then.

    > But is your bill $45.00 , or is it $45.00 plus some unavoidable 6.95
    charge ?

    There is no System Licensing Fee with CityFido. I've had the $40 plan since
    CityFide came out, and although I generally don't sign contracts - this one
    was too good to pass up. By signing up for two years I have loced my account
    into the original monthly charge for two years.

    "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
    > Lubos Hrasko wrote:
    > >
    > > No kidding, my previous bills used to be in the $300 - $400 range with
    > > another provider. City Fido at $40 was a great deal, so at $45 it's only
    the
    > > difference of saving $350 or $345 per month! Other company's plans
    charge 50
    > > bux per month for 500 minutes, Fido gives me 5000, who's guilty of
    highway
    > > robbery?
    >
    > But is your bill $45.00 , or is it $45.00 plus some unavoidable 6.95
    charge ?

    > Also, it is likely that FIDO will want its CityFido to eventually start to
    buy
    > added features such as GPRS etc.
    >
    > What it not clear to me is whether CityFido is actually sustainable in the
    > long term with large number of sucscribers, or whether this is actually a
    plan
    > to raise ARPU and reduce churn which is what (and some say "all") Bay
    Street
    > is looking at.
    >

    > Back to the MMS thing, I am glad that FIDO is actually advertising
    "leading
    > edge" stuff that it putting it ahead of its competitors. This is a first
    since
    > the very early days of Fido in Montreal where it did brag about having
    more
    > features than the legacy analogue suppliers back then.

    The Cityfido is $45 plus PST and GST, it includes the access fees.

    There are still services to be added, such as SMS and Data in my case.
    No different from Telus.

    As for sustainability, I don't see any evidence it is a problem. What
    CityFido does is create concentrations of users, so that tower usage
    goes up. It also raises the income on remote towers as they now get 20
    cents per minute outside the Cityfido area. That is better than my
    landline which does not work outside my home.

    Fido is adding significant capacity in Vancouver, which shows it is
    successful. I am hoping the next financial quarter results give us more
    detail on the CityFido success.

    I agree, Fido has always been significantly cheaper, its extras are
    cheaper, unlike Roger's and Telus where unpublished rates are often
    exorbitant, like international long distance.

    Cityfido is a good deal for both sides from what I hear.

    AndrewH wrote:
    > The Cityfido is $45 plus PST and GST, it includes the access fees.

    Thanks. Didn't know that. Fido has had deceptive advertising (not as bad as
    Air Canada though) so one never knows what the real total amount is for a
    package advertised at a certain monthly amount.

    > As for sustainability, I don't see any evidence it is a problem. What
    > CityFido does is create concentrations of users, so that tower usage
    > goes up.

    What is not clear to me is to how many points on the Telus landline Fido
    connects to. If they funnel all calls through one Telus CO, then that is a
    problem. Lets say everyone in Vancouver were to switch to Fido. The Telus COs
    in suburbs would become unused, while the one CO to which Fido connects would
    crumble because it is as if all of Vancouver moved into the same neighbouhood.

    So as long as CityFido is considered a "novelty", then they can probably
    adjust a CO's capacity to cope with it. But at one point, Telus will tell Fido
    "enough is enough" and will want Fido to start to split its network between
    multiple landline COs.

    > Fido is adding significant capacity in Vancouver, which shows it is
    > successful.

    I am not so worried about air interface capacity. They can split cells and
    make full use of Microcell's allocated spectrum. My worry is with the landline
    network connection. So far, almost all the "complaints" we heard here seemed
    to point to Telus overload, not to a Microcell overload.

    > Cityfido is a good deal for both sides from what I hear.

    For customers, yes.

    But for Fido in the medium term, I am not so sure. Short term , it is good
    because it pleases Bay Street. But consider that CitiFido may end up costing a
    lot to Fido due the need to rapidly increase capacity in Vancouver, and they
    may divert previous money from improvements in other cities. Remember that
    when people talk more, they dont generate more revenus, but Fido has to spend
    money to increase capacity.

    In the long term though, assuming Microcell becomes as profitable as a
    landline telco, then yeah, this will be good. Telcos make money because their
    infrastructure has been built up, paid for and customer growth is
    small/manageable. Eventually, Microcell will have reached its market share
    limit and won't need to grow (significantly) anymore and at that point, each
    $45 will be pure profit. It is getting to that point that is a big question mark.

    Thanks for your comments

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > AndrewH wrote:
    >
    >>The Cityfido is $45 plus PST and GST, it includes the access fees.
    >

    > Thanks. Didn't know that. Fido has had deceptive advertising (not as bad as
    > Air Canada though) so one never knows what the real total amount is for a
    > package advertised at a certain monthly amount.

    Still, in my opinion, more honest than all the competition. Look as the
    list of rates for and roaming in foreign countries, don't believe
    anybody else will give you those charges reliably.

    >>As for sustainability, I don't see any evidence it is a problem. What
    >>CityFido does is create concentrations of users, so that tower usage
    >>goes up.
    >

    > What is not clear to me is to how many points on the Telus landline Fido
    > connects to. If they funnel all calls through one Telus CO, then that is a
    > problem. Lets say everyone in Vancouver were to switch to Fido. The Telus COs
    > in suburbs would become unused, while the one CO to which Fido connects would
    > crumble because it is as if all of Vancouver moved into the same neighbouhood.

    There is more than one connection point. Bigger problem is that Telus
    controlls the 'lookup tables' of phone numbers, and these have crashed
    several times. Fido is not allowed ot have their own backup, and
    mysteriously, it seems that every time there is a problem, Telus
    customers seem to get fixed first, making Fido look unreliable.

    > So as long as CityFido is considered a "novelty", then they can probably
    > adjust a CO's capacity to cope with it. But at one point, Telus will tell Fido
    > "enough is enough" and will want Fido to start to split its network between
    > multiple landline COs.

    I believe there already are. That is a CRTC/ communications canada
    regulated issue, Telus MUST co-operate, although they can be a pain in
    the ass.

    >>Fido is adding significant capacity in Vancouver, which shows it is
    >>successful.
    >

    > I am not so worried about air interface capacity. They can split cells and
    > make full use of Microcell's allocated spectrum. My worry is with the landline
    > network connection. So far, almost all the "complaints" we heard here seemed
    > to point to Telus overload, not to a Microcell overload.

    Agreed, but that is temporary. Telus has the legal obligation to provide
    capacity. Yes, initially Telus may say 'our estimates say you only need
    X connections', but once the demand is there, Telus is obligated to
    provide the interconnects.

    And don't forget it is not linear, as more people go on Fido, fewer
    calls need to go through the interconnect. As you are likely to attract
    large groups of school/college kids, this effect may be significant.

    >>Cityfido is a good deal for both sides from what I hear.
    >

    > For customers, yes.
    >
    > But for Fido in the medium term, I am not so sure. Short term , it is good
    > because it pleases Bay Street. But consider that CitiFido may end up costing a
    > lot to Fido due the need to rapidly increase capacity in Vancouver, and they
    > may divert previous money from improvements in other cities. Remember that
    > when people talk more, they dont generate more revenus, but Fido has to spend
    > money to increase capacity.

    Yes, but adding capacity to existing cell towers is not that expensive
    versus starting up new sites. There is a ratio, hopefull Baystreet will
    be pleased enough that they invest more money in MCell than MCell needs
    to expand the system. Given that they already have enough physical
    sites, I don't see the costs as being that great.

    > In the long term though, assuming Microcell becomes as profitable as a
    > landline telco, then yeah, this will be good. Telcos make money because their
    > infrastructure has been built up, paid for and customer growth is
    > small/manageable. Eventually, Microcell will have reached its market share
    > limit and won't need to grow (significantly) anymore and at that point, each
    > $45 will be pure profit. It is getting to that point that is a big question mark.

    We will see, but I believe in Vancouver it is quite profitable already.
    As i said, I am waiting for the quarterly report.

    Not enough said. Fido is not stupid, they will incrementally and gradually increase the price over time. $5.00 now, another $5 or $10 later and so on....it all adds up. Remember years and years ago how old Rogers Cable would every 6 months or so advise us how our monthly cable bill was going up? Well, the same is true for Fido until they reach their break-even point for profit (that they deem acceptable). It seems to me that City Fido @ $40.00 was a loss leader. I find it repulsive that Fido raised their price so soon after implenting City Fido. They didn't even wait a year. Bad Dog!

    Just my 1/2 cents.

    Pavel wrote:
    >profit (that they deem acceptable). It seems to me that City Fido @ $40.00
    was a loss leader. >I find it repulsive that Fido raised their price so soon
    after implenting City Fido. They
    >didn't even wait a year. Bad Dog!

    Think of it as an introductory offer of $40 for the first couple of weeks :-)

    Oh, someone asked about inter-carrier MMS. There was an article in CNET not
    long ago about this.

    Because of Qalcomm's CDMA, it will take a while to implement intercarrier MMS
    because of the need to develop software/gateways that convert formats not only
    between different handsets, but also between the different capabilities of GSM
    vs that Qualcomm thing called CDMA.

    "AndrewH" <Andrew-Lists@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:ycRhc.209606$Ig.176045@pd7tw2no...
    :
    : : I agree, Fido has always been significantly cheaper, its extras are
    : cheaper, unlike Roger's and Telus where unpublished rates are often
    : exorbitant, like international long distance.

    It depends on where you call. For example, incoming calls on Fido while in Mexico are $3.50/min while with Rogers it's $2.98/min.

    ....well said.

    "JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:40881A24.ACFE07EC@teksavvy.com...
    : AndrewH wrote:
[...]

    LOL $45 for unlimited any time calling including the SAF fee and you find
    that repulsive. Get over it!

    "Pavel" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    I find it repulsive that Fido raised their price so soon after implenting
    City Fido. They didn't even wait a year. Bad Dog!

    Just my 1/2 cents.

    You know, I'm known for being pretty much against Fido in many things it's
    done.

    But in THIS case I agree completely, to offer Cityfido for the price they do
    is a complete still, no bones about it. The fact that the phone isn't tied
    to your home makes it even more incredible.

    I really hope Fido weather's the storm Telus is throwing at it because of
    Cityfido, because although I'm with Rogers right now, if Fido implemented
    Cityfido where I live I'd switch in a flash (assuming Bell would allow me to
    keep my sympatico DSL without a landline, I've heard rumours they do). TTYL

    > LOL $45 for unlimited any time calling including the SAF fee and you find
    > that repulsive. Get over it!
    >
    > "Pavel" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > I find it repulsive that Fido raised their price so soon after
    implenting
    > City Fido. They didn't even wait a year. Bad Dog!
    >
    > Just my 1/2 cents.

    > I really hope Fido weather's the storm Telus is throwing at it because of
    > Cityfido, because although I'm with Rogers right now, if Fido implemented
    > Cityfido where I live I'd switch in a flash (assuming Bell would allow me
    > keep my sympatico DSL without a landline, I've heard rumours they do).
    TTYL

    Where do you live?

    "mistaroboto" <mistaroboto@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > > I really hope Fido weather's the storm Telus is throwing at it because
    of
    > > Cityfido, because although I'm with Rogers right now, if Fido
    implemented
    > > Cityfido where I live I'd switch in a flash (assuming Bell would allow
    me
    > > keep my sympatico DSL without a landline, I've heard rumours they do).
    > TTYL
    >
    > Where do you live?

    Toronto.

    Went though the Fido web site, They have a FAQ on the MMS service.

    Basically, it is $0.25 surcharge for each MMS message sent, but no surcharge
    for MMS message received. Both pay the normal GRPS data consumption charges.
    (But the recipient can refuse delivery of the "package" - the notice of a
    package being available is free however).

    Sending MMS to an email address is not yet supported by microcell. (I find
    this interesting; if they bother installing the MMS gateway software/hardware,
    wouldn't that include the email gateway out of the box ?)

    Not sure how sending an email with attachement from the handset compares with
    sending the same attachement via MMS in terms of GPRS bandwidth consumed. (in
    an email, the attachement is encoded in base64 which requires roughly 25% more
    bytes to send) ( each 8 bit byte sent over the line carries only 6 bits of the
    original document).

    MMS is limited to 50 documents.
    So, a 50k document encoded as base64 requires 66.6k. This means 16 k for the
    base64 encoding overhead. At $0.03 per kilobyte, this is roughly $0.50

    So, unless you have spare bandwidth on your GPRS package, and *IF* MMS sends
    the data "raw" without encoding, it would mean that sending an email via MMS
    (when available) will end up costing less even with the $0.25 surcharge.

    Oh, and while Fido now has the software to support WAP-Push, they have not
    upgraded their proxy server to the internet to carry the WAP specific HTTP
    headers that provide some identification of the subscriber which is needed by
    the remote site to send back a WAP Push response to that customer. (usually,
    that subscriber ID is some random number assigned to a customer).

    > Basically, it is $0.25 surcharge for each MMS message sent, but no
    surcharge
    > for MMS message received. Both pay the normal GRPS data consumption
    charges.
    > (But the recipient can refuse delivery of the "package" - the notice of a
    > package being available is free however).

    From what I was told by the CSR I spoke to, you do not pay any GPRS fees,
    only $0.25 per message sent. On the website, when they say "GPRS roaming
    usage charges apply to both sent and received messages, even during the
    period when picture messages are free," I believe they mean gprs roaming
    fees when you are not on the Fido network. From what I gathered from the
    CSR, anything going through the MMS apn is not billed as GPRS usage, it is
    billed at $0.25 per use. To receive the notice and the MMS are free, for
    now.

    CU

Fido TV Internet Service Providers