Does Fido have MMS now?

Hi all, just saw a Fido TV ad that said you can send pictures around the
world. Is this referring to MMS?

Brian

Yes. MMS is available from Fido as of April 20th, 2004. You may have to
activate it in your account if you activated your line after February 2004.
though.

CU

"Brian G" <bgon@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, just saw a Fido TV ad that said you can send pictures around the
> world. Is this referring to MMS?
>
> Brian

About firken time. How much are they charging for it? Highway robbery again?

"Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Yes. MMS is available from Fido as of April 20th, 2004. You may have to
> activate it in your account if you activated your line after February
2004.
> though.
>
> CU
>
> "Brian G" <bgon@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all, just saw a Fido TV ad that said you can send pictures around the
> > world. Is this referring to MMS?
> >
> > Brian

Free for first month I think then 25 cents per msg after that.

TPG.

"repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> About firken time. How much are they charging for it? Highway robbery
again?

> "Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Yes. MMS is available from Fido as of April 20th, 2004. You may have to
> > activate it in your account if you activated your line after February
> 2004.
> > though.
> >
> > CU
> >
> > "Brian G" <bgon@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all, just saw a Fido TV ad that said you can send pictures around
the
> > > world. Is this referring to MMS?
> > >
> > > Brian

Hmm, not as bad as I thought, that's actually kinda reasonable, unless they
limit it somehow. TTYL

"The Photo Guy" <thephotoguy_NoSpam_@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Free for first month I think then 25 cents per msg after that.
>
> TPG.
>
> "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > About firken time. How much are they charging for it? Highway robbery
> again?
> >
> > "Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Yes. MMS is available from Fido as of April 20th, 2004. You may have
> > > activate it in your account if you activated your line after February
> > 2004.
> > > though.
> > >
> > > CU
> > >
> > > "Brian G" <bgon@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
> the

Nothing Fido has ever done has been highway robbery.

"repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> About firken time. How much are they charging for it? Highway robbery
again?

Hehe, right, good joke there...

"Super Dave" <souperdave@canada.com> wrote in message
> Nothing Fido has ever done has been highway robbery.
>
> "repatch" <repatch42@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > About firken time. How much are they charging for it? Highway robbery
> again?

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 01:56:10 -0400, Cellular Unlocker says...

> Yes. MMS is available from Fido as of April 20th, 2004. You may have to
> activate it in your account if you activated your line after February 2004.
> though.

Does it work with prepaid?

From their website:

"Now you can take pictures, add text and sound, and send them to other
Fido monthly package subscribers"

Monthly package only?

But then again on the FAQ page it says:

"Who can I exchange picture messages with?

You can exchange picture messages with any other Fido customer who also
has an MMS-compatible handset. Sending a message is similar to text
messaging in that you send the picture message to another Fido customer=3Fs
number."

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

I wonder if Rogers will follow suit?

"Cellular Unlocker" <cellularunlocker@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4084bc5d$1_1@aeinews....
: Yes. MMS is available from Fido as of April 20th, 2004. You may have to
: activate it in your account if you activated your line after February 2004.
: though.
:
: CU
:
: "Brian G" <bgon@NOSPAMmail.com> wrote in message
: news:Tc_gc.142256$2oI1.2834@twister01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
: > Hi all, just saw a Fido TV ad that said you can send pictures around the
: > world. Is this referring to MMS?
: >
: > Brian
: >
: >
:
:

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

I don't know about that.....for one thing they have contracts now and their prices of phones have skyrocketed. Oh, let's not forget the $45 City Fido rate increase as well.

"Super Dave" <souperdave@canada.com> wrote in message news:Szlhc.193605$oR5.11145@pd7tw3no...
: Nothing Fido has ever done has been highway robbery.
:

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Looks like you can only send a picture to another Fido user. I tried
sending a pic to my cousin in Greece (who does have an MMS-enabled
phone), and it gave me an error. :( Any ideas when it'll expand to
allow MMS to other geographies and users?

Thanx,

..:. tony

City Fido went up 5 bux........wooooooo BIG DEAL. It's still a steal at the
price! Contracts are OPTIONAL just like with everyone else. Handsets have
gone up but nothing they have ever done is what I'd call "highway robbery"
The previous poster has been whining for years, and considers a 1 cent
increase to be a ripoff. Enough said!

"Pavel" <none@none.com> wrote in message
I don't know about that.....for one thing they have contracts now and their
prices of phones have skyrocketed. Oh, let's not forget the $45 City Fido
rate increase as well.

"Super Dave" <souperdave@canada.com> wrote in message
: Nothing Fido has ever done has been highway robbery.
:

No kidding, my previous bills used to be in the $300 - $400 range with
another provider. City Fido at $40 was a great deal, so at $45 it's only the
difference of saving $350 or $345 per month! Other company's plans charge 50
bux per month for 500 minutes, Fido gives me 5000, who's guilty of highway
robbery?

Cheers,
Lubos

Lubos Hrasko wrote:

> No kidding, my previous bills used to be in the $300 - $400 range with
> another provider. City Fido at $40 was a great deal, so at $45 it's only the
> difference of saving $350 or $345 per month! Other company's plans charge 50
> bux per month for 500 minutes, Fido gives me 5000, who's guilty of highway
> robbery?

But is your bill $45.00 , or is it $45.00 plus some unavoidable 6.95 charge ?

Also, it is likely that FIDO will want its CityFido to eventually start to buy
added features such as GPRS etc.

What it not clear to me is whether CityFido is actually sustainable in the
long term with large number of sucscribers, or whether this is actually a plan
to raise ARPU and reduce churn which is what (and some say "all") Bay Street
is looking at.

Back to the MMS thing, I am glad that FIDO is actually advertising "leading
edge" stuff that it putting it ahead of its competitors. This is a first since
the very early days of Fido in Montreal where it did brag about having more
features than the legacy analogue suppliers back then.

> But is your bill $45.00 , or is it $45.00 plus some unavoidable 6.95
charge ?

There is no System Licensing Fee with CityFido. I've had the $40 plan since
CityFide came out, and although I generally don't sign contracts - this one
was too good to pass up. By signing up for two years I have loced my account
into the original monthly charge for two years.

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message
> Lubos Hrasko wrote:
> >
> > No kidding, my previous bills used to be in the $300 - $400 range with
> > another provider. City Fido at $40 was a great deal, so at $45 it's only
the
> > difference of saving $350 or $345 per month! Other company's plans
charge 50
> > bux per month for 500 minutes, Fido gives me 5000, who's guilty of
highway
> > robbery?
>
> But is your bill $45.00 , or is it $45.00 plus some unavoidable 6.95
charge ?

> Also, it is likely that FIDO will want its CityFido to eventually start to
buy
> added features such as GPRS etc.
>
> What it not clear to me is whether CityFido is actually sustainable in the
> long term with large number of sucscribers, or whether this is actually a
plan
> to raise ARPU and reduce churn which is what (and some say "all") Bay
Street
> is looking at.
>

> Back to the MMS thing, I am glad that FIDO is actually advertising
"leading
> edge" stuff that it putting it ahead of its competitors. This is a first
since
> the very early days of Fido in Montreal where it did brag about having
more
> features than the legacy analogue suppliers back then.

The Cityfido is $45 plus PST and GST, it includes the access fees.

There are still services to be added, such as SMS and Data in my case.
No different from Telus.

As for sustainability, I don't see any evidence it is a problem. What
CityFido does is create concentrations of users, so that tower usage
goes up. It also raises the income on remote towers as they now get 20
cents per minute outside the Cityfido area. That is better than my
landline which does not work outside my home.

Fido is adding significant capacity in Vancouver, which shows it is
successful. I am hoping the next financial quarter results give us more
detail on the CityFido success.

I agree, Fido has always been significantly cheaper, its extras are
cheaper, unlike Roger's and Telus where unpublished rates are often
exorbitant, like international long distance.

Cityfido is a good deal for both sides from what I hear.

AndrewH wrote:
> The Cityfido is $45 plus PST and GST, it includes the access fees.

Thanks. Didn't know that. Fido has had deceptive advertising (not as bad as
Air Canada though) so one never knows what the real total amount is for a
package advertised at a certain monthly amount.

> As for sustainability, I don't see any evidence it is a problem. What
> CityFido does is create concentrations of users, so that tower usage
> goes up.

What is not clear to me is to how many points on the Telus landline Fido
connects to. If they funnel all calls through one Telus CO, then that is a
problem. Lets say everyone in Vancouver were to switch to Fido. The Telus COs
in suburbs would become unused, while the one CO to which Fido connects would
crumble because it is as if all of Vancouver moved into the same neighbouhood.

So as long as CityFido is considered a "novelty", then they can probably
adjust a CO's capacity to cope with it. But at one point, Telus will tell Fido
"enough is enough" and will want Fido to start to split its network between
multiple landline COs.

> Fido is adding significant capacity in Vancouver, which shows it is
> successful.

I am not so worried about air interface capacity. They can split cells and
make full use of Microcell's allocated spectrum. My worry is with the landline
network connection. So far, almost all the "complaints" we heard here seemed
to point to Telus overload, not to a Microcell overload.

> Cityfido is a good deal for both sides from what I hear.

For customers, yes.

But for Fido in the medium term, I am not so sure. Short term , it is good
because it pleases Bay Street. But consider that CitiFido may end up costing a
lot to Fido due the need to rapidly increase capacity in Vancouver, and they
may divert previous money from improvements in other cities. Remember that
when people talk more, they dont generate more revenus, but Fido has to spend
money to increase capacity.

In the long term though, assuming Microcell becomes as profitable as a
landline telco, then yeah, this will be good. Telcos make money because their
infrastructure has been built up, paid for and customer growth is
small/manageable. Eventually, Microcell will have reached its market share
limit and won't need to grow (significantly) anymore and at that point, each
$45 will be pure profit. It is getting to that point that is a big question mark.

Thanks for your comments

JF Mezei wrote:
> AndrewH wrote:
>
>>The Cityfido is $45 plus PST and GST, it includes the access fees.
>

> Thanks. Didn't know that. Fido has had deceptive advertising (not as bad as
> Air Canada though) so one never knows what the real total amount is for a
> package advertised at a certain monthly amount.

Still, in my opinion, more honest than all the competition. Look as the
list of rates for and roaming in foreign countries, don't believe
anybody else will give you those charges reliably.

>>As for sustainability, I don't see any evidence it is a problem. What
>>CityFido does is create concentrations of users, so that tower usage
>>goes up.
>

> What is not clear to me is to how many points on the Telus landline Fido
> connects to. If they funnel all calls through one Telus CO, then that is a
> problem. Lets say everyone in Vancouver were to switch to Fido. The Telus COs
> in suburbs would become unused, while the one CO to which Fido connects would
> crumble because it is as if all of Vancouver moved into the same neighbouhood.

There is more than one connection point. Bigger problem is that Telus
controlls the 'lookup tables' of phone numbers, and these have crashed
several times. Fido is not allowed ot have their own backup, and
mysteriously, it seems that every time there is a problem, Telus
customers seem to get fixed first, making Fido look unreliable.

> So as long as CityFido is considered a "novelty", then they can probably
> adjust a CO's capacity to cope with it. But at one point, Telus will tell Fido
> "enough is enough" and will want Fido to start to split its network between
> multiple landline COs.

I believe there already are. That is a CRTC/ communications canada
regulated issue, Telus MUST co-operate, although they can be a pain in
the ass.

>>Fido is adding significant capacity in Vancouver, which shows it is
>>successful.
>

> I am not so worried about air interface capacity. They can split cells and
> make full use of Microcell's allocated spectrum. My worry is with the landline
> network connection. So far, almost all the "complaints" we heard here seemed
> to point to Telus overload, not to a Microcell overload.

Agreed, but that is temporary. Telus has the legal obligation to provide
capacity. Yes, initially Telus may say 'our estimates say you only need
X connections', but once the demand is there, Telus is obligated to
provide the interconnects.

And don't forget it is not linear, as more people go on Fido, fewer
calls need to go through the interconnect. As you are likely to attract
large groups of school/college kids, this effect may be significant.

>>Cityfido is a good deal for both sides from what I hear.
>

> For customers, yes.
>
> But for Fido in the medium term, I am not so sure. Short term , it is good
> because it pleases Bay Street. But consider that CitiFido may end up costing a
> lot to Fido due the need to rapidly increase capacity in Vancouver, and they
> may divert previous money from improvements in other cities. Remember that
> when people talk more, they dont generate more revenus, but Fido has to spend
> money to increase capacity.

Yes, but adding capacity to existing cell towers is not that expensive
versus starting up new sites. There is a ratio, hopefull Baystreet will
be pleased enough that they invest more money in MCell than MCell needs
to expand the system. Given that they already have enough physical
sites, I don't see the costs as being that great.

> In the long term though, assuming Microcell becomes as profitable as a
> landline telco, then yeah, this will be good. Telcos make money because their
> infrastructure has been built up, paid for and customer growth is
> small/manageable. Eventually, Microcell will have reached its market share
> limit and won't need to grow (significantly) anymore and at that point, each
> $45 will be pure profit. It is getting to that point that is a big question mark.

We will see, but I believe in Vancouver it is quite profitable already.
As i said, I am waiting for the quarterly report.

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

Not enough said. Fido is not stupid, they will incrementally and gradually increase the price over time. $5.00 now, another $5 or $10 later and so on....it all adds up. Remember years and years ago how old Rogers Cable would every 6 months or so advise us how our monthly cable bill was going up? Well, the same is true for Fido until they reach their break-even point for profit (that they deem acceptable). It seems to me that City Fido @ $40.00 was a loss leader. I find it repulsive that Fido raised their price so soon after implenting City Fido. They didn't even wait a year. Bad Dog!

Just my 1/2 cents.

Pavel wrote:
>profit (that they deem acceptable). It seems to me that City Fido @ $40.00
was a loss leader. >I find it repulsive that Fido raised their price so soon
after implenting City Fido. They
>didn't even wait a year. Bad Dog!

Think of it as an introductory offer of $40 for the first couple of weeks :)

Oh, someone asked about inter-carrier MMS. There was an article in CNET not
long ago about this.

Because of Qalcomm's CDMA, it will take a while to implement intercarrier MMS
because of the need to develop software/gateways that convert formats not only
between different handsets, but also between the different capabilities of GSM
vs that Qualcomm thing called CDMA.

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

"AndrewH" <Andrew-Lists@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:ycRhc.209606$Ig.176045@pd7tw2no...
:
: : I agree, Fido has always been significantly cheaper, its extras are
: cheaper, unlike Roger's and Telus where unpublished rates are often
: exorbitant, like international long distance.

It depends on where you call. For example, incoming calls on Fido while in Mexico are $3.50/min while with Rogers it's $2.98/min.

pavel

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2003

....well said.

"JF Mezei" <jfmezei.spamnot@teksavvy.com> wrote in message news:40881A24.ACFE07EC@teksavvy.com...
: AndrewH wrote:
[...]

LOL $45 for unlimited any time calling including the SAF fee and you find
that repulsive. Get over it!

"Pavel" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
I find it repulsive that Fido raised their price so soon after implenting
City Fido. They didn't even wait a year. Bad Dog!

Just my 1/2 cents.

You know, I'm known for being pretty much against Fido in many things it's
done.

But in THIS case I agree completely, to offer Cityfido for the price they do
is a complete still, no bones about it. The fact that the phone isn't tied
to your home makes it even more incredible.

I really hope Fido weather's the storm Telus is throwing at it because of
Cityfido, because although I'm with Rogers right now, if Fido implemented
Cityfido where I live I'd switch in a flash (assuming Bell would allow me to
keep my sympatico DSL without a landline, I've heard rumours they do). TTYL

> LOL $45 for unlimited any time calling including the SAF fee and you find
> that repulsive. Get over it!
>
> "Pavel" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
> I find it repulsive that Fido raised their price so soon after
implenting
> City Fido. They didn't even wait a year. Bad Dog!
>
> Just my 1/2 cents.

> I really hope Fido weather's the storm Telus is throwing at it because of
> Cityfido, because although I'm with Rogers right now, if Fido implemented
> Cityfido where I live I'd switch in a flash (assuming Bell would allow me
> keep my sympatico DSL without a landline, I've heard rumours they do).
TTYL

Where do you live?