New hdd installed previously was running ubuntu on old hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

sailingfurther

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012
Hello,
I installed a new 360 gb hdd on my acer 5520 laptop, previously i had only ubuntu on my old hdd, the system wont find and install win xp from the cd/dvd the new hdd shows in the bios ut the cd/dvd sose not show in the bios altho it does in the acer start up list. when i switch the hdd again it works fine with ubuntu and shows the cd/dvd but ofcourse win xp wont install from there as the hdd is formated in linux style. any help?
thanks

if it the a restore cd..it looking for the drive to have a partion first. if it a full version of xp does it see the hard drive in advance mode..where xp ask if you want to partion the drive as a ntfs drive or fat32. can you use a usb stick with some disk tools or a cd with Hiren's BootCD 15.1 it has a mini xp boot loader on the cd. if you lanch it does the mini xp see your hard drive?? or does any of the hard drive tools do..if it a new sata drive and it does 6g speed if your mb is older sata see if the hard drive has a jumper to slow the drive down to older version of sata.if it an ide drive check that the jumper and pins are fine.

sailingfurther

Honorable
Jun 21, 2012

Thanks but I made a ISO on usb and reinstalled xp from it now the cd/ dvd is working to. Thanks anyhow

Status
Not open for further replies.