HELP: Space Encounters monitor is no longer black ... it i..

Based on the power supply wire coloring in the following document, I
performed tests on the power supply to verify the correct V-Dc and
V-Ac readings were present:

-(NOTE: After mapping the molex connector on the power supply against
the wire colors in the document, I noticed a few wire colors were
different.)

http://www.arcadedocs.com/vidmanuals/S/SpaceEncounters.pdf

The results I found when performing tests on my power supply using my
multimeter probes and using the correct color mappings are the
following (which were all the required voltages):

The V-Ac readings I received are as follows:

White/Green wire and Yellow/Black wire = 13.9V (which is ~12.0V)
Yellow wire and Black wire = ~16.5V-Ac
Yellow wire and Orange/Black = ~9.0V-Ac
Yellow wire and Red/White wire = ~9.0V-Ac
Yellow wire and Grey wire = ~16.5V-Ac

The V-Dc readings I received are as folllows:

Orange/Red wire and White wire = 5.0V-Dc
Orange/Red wire and White/Brown wire = ~12V-Dc **
Orange/Red wire and Black/Green wire = -5.0V-Dc **

Since this testing was performed I moved on to the monitor. I found a
missing 1.5Amp monitor fuse which seemed to explain why the monitor
tube never glowed. I put in the required fuse and the monitor tube
glows, however, the image displayed on the front of the monitor is a
just a solid whitish color. Messing with the contrast, brightness,
etc... did not change this at all.

Someone told me this might be due to a power supply problem not
produced the required 12V required. Anyway, I now decided to
re-verify my power supply board still was producing the 5V-Dc, 12V-Dc
and -5V-Dc. I noticed that I do get these voltages as long as the
wiring harness to the Main PCB "IS NOT" plugged into the Main PCB.

When the wiring harness to the Main PCB "IS" plugged into the Main
PCB, I get the following readings:

Orange/Red wire and White wire = 5.0V-Dc
Orange/Red wire and White/Brown wire = -56V-Dc <-- different value **
Orange/Red wire and Black/Green wire = -110V-Dc <-- different value **

Is this change in the 12V-Dc and -5V-Dc readings explainable?

sounds like a motorola. very hard to find parts for that chasis. you
might be better off finding a SI chasis or something from atari
football.

Dino2 wrote:
> Based on the power supply wire coloring in the following document, I
> performed tests on the power supply to verify the correct V-Dc and
> V-Ac readings were present:
>
> -(NOTE: After mapping the molex connector on the power supply against
> the wire colors in the document, I noticed a few wire colors were
> different.)
>
> http://www.arcadedocs.com/vidmanuals/S/SpaceEncounters.pdf
>
> The results I found when performing tests on my power supply using my
> multimeter probes and using the correct color mappings are the
> following (which were all the required voltages):
>
> The V-Ac readings I received are as follows:
>
> White/Green wire and Yellow/Black wire = 13.9V (which is ~12.0V)
> Yellow wire and Black wire = ~16.5V-Ac
> Yellow wire and Orange/Black = ~9.0V-Ac
> Yellow wire and Red/White wire = ~9.0V-Ac
> Yellow wire and Grey wire = ~16.5V-Ac
>

> The V-Dc readings I received are as folllows:
>
> Orange/Red wire and White wire = 5.0V-Dc
> Orange/Red wire and White/Brown wire = ~12V-Dc **
> Orange/Red wire and Black/Green wire = -5.0V-Dc **
>

> Since this testing was performed I moved on to the monitor. I found
> missing 1.5Amp monitor fuse which seemed to explain why the monitor
> tube never glowed. I put in the required fuse and the monitor tube
> glows, however, the image displayed on the front of the monitor is a
> just a solid whitish color. Messing with the contrast, brightness,
> etc... did not change this at all.
>
> Someone told me this might be due to a power supply problem not
> produced the required 12V required. Anyway, I now decided to
> re-verify my power supply board still was producing the 5V-Dc, 12V-Dc
> and -5V-Dc. I noticed that I do get these voltages as long as the
> wiring harness to the Main PCB "IS NOT" plugged into the Main PCB.
>
> When the wiring harness to the Main PCB "IS" plugged into the Main
> PCB, I get the following readings:
>
> Orange/Red wire and White wire = 5.0V-Dc
> Orange/Red wire and White/Brown wire = -56V-Dc <-- different value
**
> Orange/Red wire and Black/Green wire = -110V-Dc <-- different value
**

> Is this change in the 12V-Dc and -5V-Dc readings explainable?

Actually, found a missing 1.5Amp fuse for the monitor. Added the fuse
and the monitor came up although the display is basically 14 vertical
lines and no real image. I am assuming I have a RAM problem likemany
other people encounter from a Space Encounters game :>)

Anyone know where to get 2107 Ram or know where I can get a
motherboard PCB replacement for the Space Encounters?

On 29 Mar 2005 18:12:37 -0800, arcadeguy@hotmail.com wrote:

>sounds like a motorola. very hard to find parts for that chasis. you
>might be better off finding a SI chasis or something from atari
>football.
>

>Dino2 wrote:
>> Based on the power supply wire coloring in the following document, I
>> performed tests on the power supply to verify the correct V-Dc and
>> V-Ac readings were present:
>>
>> -(NOTE: After mapping the molex connector on the power supply against
>> the wire colors in the document, I noticed a few wire colors were
>> different.)
>>
>> http://www.arcadedocs.com/vidmanuals/S/SpaceEncounters.pdf
>>
>> The results I found when performing tests on my power supply using my
>> multimeter probes and using the correct color mappings are the
>> following (which were all the required voltages):
>>
>> The V-Ac readings I received are as follows:
>>
>> White/Green wire and Yellow/Black wire = 13.9V (which is ~12.0V)
>> Yellow wire and Black wire = ~16.5V-Ac
>> Yellow wire and Orange/Black = ~9.0V-Ac
>> Yellow wire and Red/White wire = ~9.0V-Ac
>> Yellow wire and Grey wire = ~16.5V-Ac
>>

>> The V-Dc readings I received are as folllows:
>>
>> Orange/Red wire and White wire = 5.0V-Dc
>> Orange/Red wire and White/Brown wire = ~12V-Dc **
>> Orange/Red wire and Black/Green wire = -5.0V-Dc **
>>

>> Since this testing was performed I moved on to the monitor. I found
>> missing 1.5Amp monitor fuse which seemed to explain why the monitor
>> tube never glowed. I put in the required fuse and the monitor tube
>> glows, however, the image displayed on the front of the monitor is a
>> just a solid whitish color. Messing with the contrast, brightness,
>> etc... did not change this at all.
>>
>> Someone told me this might be due to a power supply problem not
>> produced the required 12V required. Anyway, I now decided to
>> re-verify my power supply board still was producing the 5V-Dc, 12V-Dc
>> and -5V-Dc. I noticed that I do get these voltages as long as the
>> wiring harness to the Main PCB "IS NOT" plugged into the Main PCB.
>>
>> When the wiring harness to the Main PCB "IS" plugged into the Main
>> PCB, I get the following readings:
>>
>> Orange/Red wire and White wire = 5.0V-Dc
>> Orange/Red wire and White/Brown wire = -56V-Dc <-- different value
>**
>> Orange/Red wire and Black/Green wire = -110V-Dc <-- different value
>**
>>
>> Is this change in the 12V-Dc and -5V-Dc readings explainable?

Vaxx

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2004

Is that the same as a space fever pcb???

Could have a set for a b/w.
"Dino2" <uncletr2@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> Actually, found a missing 1.5Amp fuse for the monitor. Added the fuse
> and the monitor came up although the display is basically 14 vertical
> lines and no real image. I am assuming I have a RAM problem likemany
> other people encounter from a Space Encounters game :>)
>
> Anyone know where to get 2107 Ram or know where I can get a
> motherboard PCB replacement for the Space Encounters?
>

> On 29 Mar 2005 18:12:37 -0800, arcadeguy@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >sounds like a motorola. very hard to find parts for that chasis. you
> >might be better off finding a SI chasis or something from atari
> >football.
> >

> >Dino2 wrote:
> >> Based on the power supply wire coloring in the following document, I
> >> performed tests on the power supply to verify the correct V-Dc and
> >> V-Ac readings were present:
> >>
> >> -(NOTE: After mapping the molex connector on the power supply against
> >> the wire colors in the document, I noticed a few wire colors were
> >> different.)
> >>
> >> http://www.arcadedocs.com/vidmanuals/S/SpaceEncounters.pdf
> >>
> >> The results I found when performing tests on my power supply using my
> >> multimeter probes and using the correct color mappings are the
> >> following (which were all the required voltages):
> >>
> >> The V-Ac readings I received are as follows:
> >>
> >> White/Green wire and Yellow/Black wire = 13.9V (which is ~12.0V)
> >> Yellow wire and Black wire = ~16.5V-Ac
> >> Yellow wire and Orange/Black = ~9.0V-Ac
> >> Yellow wire and Red/White wire = ~9.0V-Ac
> >> Yellow wire and Grey wire = ~16.5V-Ac
> >>

> >> The V-Dc readings I received are as folllows:
> >>
> >> Orange/Red wire and White wire = 5.0V-Dc
> >> Orange/Red wire and White/Brown wire = ~12V-Dc **
> >> Orange/Red wire and Black/Green wire = -5.0V-Dc **
> >>

> >> Since this testing was performed I moved on to the monitor. I found
> >> missing 1.5Amp monitor fuse which seemed to explain why the monitor
> >> tube never glowed. I put in the required fuse and the monitor tube
> >> glows, however, the image displayed on the front of the monitor is a
> >> just a solid whitish color. Messing with the contrast, brightness,
> >> etc... did not change this at all.
> >>
> >> Someone told me this might be due to a power supply problem not
> >> produced the required 12V required. Anyway, I now decided to
> >> re-verify my power supply board still was producing the 5V-Dc, 12V-Dc
> >> and -5V-Dc. I noticed that I do get these voltages as long as the
> >> wiring harness to the Main PCB "IS NOT" plugged into the Main PCB.
> >>
> >> When the wiring harness to the Main PCB "IS" plugged into the Main
> >> PCB, I get the following readings:
> >>
> >> Orange/Red wire and White wire = 5.0V-Dc
> >> Orange/Red wire and White/Brown wire = -56V-Dc <-- different value
> >**
> >> Orange/Red wire and Black/Green wire = -110V-Dc <-- different value
> >**
> >>
> >> Is this change in the 12V-Dc and -5V-Dc readings explainable?

I have no idea, I will ask in the group.

Is Space Fever a black and white game? Does the Space Fever PCB have
a daughter board attached to the motherboard PCB at a right angle?
Maybe you can send me a photo of the motherboard so I can check it
out.

Regards,
UncleT