Data recovery from SATA drive using a IDE drive

I have a Dell 8400 with SATA drive and CD-RW. It won't boot due to
corrupted XP system registry files. I did try inplace reinstall with
the OEM Windows/XP disc and it is not doing me any good. I need to
recover old data in SATA drive So, I am thinking about doing the
following:

1) Add an IDE drive
2) Make the IDE bootable drive.
3) Install the OEM Win/XP on the IDE drive.
4) Make the SATA become 'slave?' drive.
5) Boot up XP/Home using the IDE drive
6) copies data files in the SATA drive to CD-RW.
7) Remove the IDE drive.
8) Make a clean re-install of Win XP/Home

Would this work?

Please advise.

Thank you.
10 answers Last reply
More about data recovery sata drive drive

    Other options that might be able to copy your data include:

    (1) KNOPPIX version 3.8.1, a free LINUX download, as an ISO file, that you
    burn to CD on another computer, then use to boot your problem PC. I have
    SATA disks on an ASUS P4S8X motherboard and this version of KNOPPIX
    automatically accessed them without any additional drivers. Further, it can
    see my NTFS partitions, as well as those that are FAT32.

    Note: The KNOPPIX dopnload is about 700 Meg, so do it on a PC with
    high-speed internet access. Further, to burn an ISO to CD you will need
    something like Nero or Easy CD Creator. The default XP burning software
    will not do it.

    link to knoppix:

    http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

    (2) Make a Bart's PE builder bootable CD. This is a much smaller sownload,
    but ulimately it might take longer than KNOPPIX, since you need to "build"
    the CD ismage. Further, a Bart's CD made on one computer may not work on
    another. I do not know the level of generality or compatibility. However,
    Bart's will definitely want SATA drivers on a floppy, just like an XP
    installation from a retail XP CD. (The Dell CD might not need rivers, but
    then it might not be XP, but instead, just a key to unlock a hidden disk
    image. Bart's is really a minuture version of XP, that has most access
    restrictions removed. Note that if you already had a Bart's CD, it would be
    the best bet for a fast save of the files.

    link to Bart:

    http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    (3) Run the XP recovery console. That may alos you to copy files form the
    problem disk to another internal hard drive. Unfortunatly, the recovery
    console enforces some level of file security, so you may not be able to
    assess files outside of the windows directory, unless you first pre-set some
    registry keys. In fact, if the registry is corrupted in just the right way,
    you may not be able to run the recovery console from the XP CD. I have
    heard that Microsoft offers a free download of a floppy set that is similar
    to the recovery console.

    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm

    http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy33.htm (near bottom)

    (4) Run the Windows 2000 recovery console, if you can get hold of a 2000
    CD. I recall reading that becasue it pre-dates XP, the security protections
    of XP and its recovery console do not apply.

    ----- Info about XP recovery console options and what must be pre-set to
    access and copy files:-----

    By default, the recovery console asks for the local administrator password,
    meaning the PW of the person you first installed XP. Other administrator
    PWs will not work. If an OEM computer (e.g., Dell, Gateway), it may not at
    all clear what to use.

    Thus, avoid the whole problem by telling XP that no PW is required!

    BUT, you can only do this if XP is running normally, because you have to use
    REGEDIT. If a disaster happens it will be too late!

    A related item is the SET command, which by default is NOT permitted in the
    recovery console. It is very useful to have to copy files off of the PC, so
    enable it. Again, this must be done while XP is running normally.

    If you waste time like I did to try the XP help, you will go in circles and
    get nowhere, at least with XP home, which talks about some local PC policy
    thing that really is more of an XP professional concept.

    Instead, just run REGEDIT and change two things that appear on the same
    page:

    Start à Run à Regedit

    Navigate to

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\RecoveryConsole

    Set the DWORD SecurityLevel value to 1

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Setup\
    RecoveryConsole

    Set the DWORD SetCommand value to 1

    Exit REGEDIT, reboot, and test the recovery console lack of PW and ability
    to use SET, thereby copying any little file to A:\ or a ZIP, etc. Note that
    before you can copy within the recovery console, you must issue the command:

    Set allowremovablemedia = true

    In article <1114026900.039261.282130@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
    <dyip96@hotmail.com> wrote:
    >I have a Dell 8400 with SATA drive and CD-RW. It won't boot due to
    >corrupted XP system registry files. I did try inplace reinstall with
    >the OEM Windows/XP disc and it is not doing me any good. I need to
    >recover old data in SATA drive So, I am thinking about doing the
    >following:
    >
    >1) Add an IDE drive
    >2) Make the IDE bootable drive.
    >3) Install the OEM Win/XP on the IDE drive.
    >4) Make the SATA become 'slave?' drive.
    >5) Boot up XP/Home using the IDE drive
    >6) copies data files in the SATA drive to CD-RW.
    >7) Remove the IDE drive.
    >8) Make a clean re-install of Win XP/Home
    >
    >Would this work?
    >
    >Please advise.
    >
    >Thank you.

    You have OEM reimage disks from DELL. They may not be able to
    install on a non-stock configuration, but it's worth a try.

    Be ready to add SATA drivers during the installation. There may be a
    \drivers folder on the Dell CDs.

    You might need to turn the SATA controllers off in the BIOS for the
    first IDE setup.

    --
    a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

    Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.

    Wow. Thanks for all the reply.

    It gives me an idea; Will BartPE CD recognize a USB flash drive? If so,
    I can just boot up with BartPE CD and then use a USB flash drive to
    download files files from SATA drive? What do u think?

    A BartPE CD can be built in 10 to 15 minutes and will work on other
    computers. There is a folder to copy your SATA drivers so a floppy isn't
    needed. You will be able to see all your partitions and copy data off to
    another HD or burn to a CD (with Nero plugin). It's a must have.

    Brian

    > (2) Make a Bart's PE builder bootable CD. This is a much smaller
    > sownload, but ulimately it might take longer than KNOPPIX, since you need
    > to "build" the CD ismage. Further, a Bart's CD made on one computer may
    > not work on another. I do not know the level of generality or
    > compatibility. However, Bart's will definitely want SATA drivers on a
    > floppy, just like an XP installation from a retail XP CD. (The Dell CD
    > might not need rivers, but then it might not be XP, but instead, just a
    > key to unlock a hidden disk image. Bart's is really a minuture version of
    > XP, that has most access restrictions removed. Note that if you already
    > had a Bart's CD, it would be the best bet for a fast save of the files.
    >
    > link to Bart:
    >
    > http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

    Thank you all....

    I am going to try to boot from BartPE and then use USB flash drive to
    get the files from SATA drive. Will report if it is successful.

    I'm sure it will see the USB flash drive after Bart has booted (it sees my
    USB external HD) but

    a..

    a.. "Q: Can BartPE boot from USB flash drives (UFD)?
    A: Maybe. Does your BIOS supports booting from UFD as if it were a harddisk?
    The Windows XP FAT bootsector code does not behave correctly when booting
    from UFD. Bart already "fixed" the FAT bootsector code. But booting from UFD
    is not stable at the moment. It is very dependent on what exact hardware is
    used. Some bioses cannot be set to the correct emulation and other systems
    hang or abort when the windows USB drivers are loaded. Tricky stuff, maybe
    better support in future..."

    Brian

    "doug" <dyip96@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Wow. Thanks for all the reply.
    >
    > It gives me an idea; Will BartPE CD recognize a USB flash drive? If so,
    > I can just boot up with BartPE CD and then use a USB flash drive to
    > download files files from SATA drive? What do u think?

    I'll be interested. Should work.

    > Thank you all....
    >
    > I am going to try to boot from BartPE and then use USB flash drive to
    > get the files from SATA drive. Will report if it is successful.

    Make sure the USB device is plugged in before loading BartPE.

    "

    I am happy to report that it works; I use my daughter's ipod to save
    the files after booting up with BartPE.

    Now the sad part. After reinstalling windows XP , my daughter try to
    reinstall itune BEFORE I can retrive the files back from ipod, damn
    itune resets ipod back to empty state; essentially wipe out ipod with
    all her songs and my backup files...sigh.

    Oh well, at least we know BartPE works.

    p.s. so anyone knows how to recover 'lost' files in ipod :)

    Good and bad news. Thanks for letting us know it worked. BartPE has helped
    me many times.

    >I am happy to report that it works; I use my daughter's ipod to save
    > the files after booting up with BartPE.
    >
    > Now the sad part. After reinstalling windows XP , my daughter try to
    > reinstall itune BEFORE I can retrive the files back from ipod, damn
    > itune resets ipod back to empty state; essentially wipe out ipod with
    > all her songs and my backup files...sigh.
    >
    > Oh well, at least we know BartPE works.
    >
    > p.s. so anyone knows how to recover 'lost' files in ipod :)

SATA Windows XP