Formatting External Drive

When I go to formatting an external hard drive, I get this message: Windows
cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are
using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of
the drive. Then try formatting again. I have deleted everything on this
drive, but I still cannot format it. Is there any way a person can force the
drive to format?
1 answer Last reply
More about formatting external drive
  1. Quote:

    When I go to formatting an external hard drive, I get this message: Windows
    cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are
    using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of
    the drive. Then try formatting again. I have deleted everything on this
    drive, but I still cannot format it. Is there any way a person can force the
    drive to format?

External Drive Formatting Format Windows XP