Formatting External Drive

When I go to formatting an external hard drive, I get this message: Windows
cannot format this drive. Quit any disk utilities or other programs that are
using this drive, and make sure that no window is displaying the contents of
the drive. Then try formatting again. I have deleted everything on this
drive, but I still cannot format it. Is there any way a person can force the
drive to format?

maya grg

Honorable