Network too large to discover and display all devices

I'm running MS Broadband networking on a small home network with Win98 PC's.

Sometimes when I open up the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility, the
"Network Devices" pane (which should show the names of the other PC's on my
LAN) says
"Network too large to discover and display all devices". It's not a large
network at all. What does that message mean?

Thanks, Jim
7 answers Last reply
More about network large discover display devices

    I can't tell you what the message means but I had a Win98 desktop on my
    network and saw the same message and it would not connect to my
    network.
    Somehow the subnet mask had changed to 255.255.0.0 I think I released
    the IP configuration and when it came back it was where it should be at
    255.255.255.0

    I too have had various intermittent problems with my Win98 PC's suddenly
    diconnecting to my LAN, or giving me "device not available" messages when I
    try to share a file ... but the "Network too large" message seems independent
    of these problems, ie, I get the "Network too large" message even when my
    PC's are fully connected to my LAN and in all other respects my LAN and file
    sharing and internet connection are all working fine. Curiously, the
    functioning of my LAN improved greatly when I switched from netbuei to
    ipx/spx as my file sharing protocol. I have no idea why that should have
    made a difference but for me it did.

    "Gary" wrote:

    > I can't tell you what the message means but I had a Win98 desktop on my
    > network and saw the same message and it would not connect to my
    > network.
    > Somehow the subnet mask had changed to 255.255.0.0 I think I released
    > the IP configuration and when it came back it was where it should be at
    > 255.255.255.0

    Are you using static ips, or are you using DHCP?

    The MS routers hardcode a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
    This would yield a network of up to 254 devices (then subtract one for the
    router itself).

    If your subnet mask is not set properly, it would support a network of more
    computers than 254 devices, and MSBBN will probably throw an error similiar
    to what you are seeing.

    Goto your command prompt and type ipconfig /all
    Paste the whole output to a message and let's see what is happening.

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "imerc" <imerc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I'm running MS Broadband networking on a small home network with Win98
    > PC's.
    >
    > Sometimes when I open up the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility, the
    > "Network Devices" pane (which should show the names of the other PC's on
    > my
    > LAN) says
    > "Network too large to discover and display all devices". It's not a large
    > network at all. What does that message mean?
    >
    > Thanks, Jim

    Gary, thanks for your post.

    I think that my LAN using DHCP rather than static ip addresses.

    When I type ipconfig /all, I get this:

    Windows 98 IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . : DAD

    DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

    Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

    NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :

    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No

    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No

    NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No

    0 Ethernet adapter :

    Description . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-based Integrated Fast Ethernet

    Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-06-29-2E-68-E5

    DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes

    IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.38

    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0

    Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

    DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1

    Primary WINS Server . . . . :

    Secondary WINS Server . . . :

    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 07 19 05 10:33:24 PM

    Lease Expires . . . . . . . :

    Thanks for any help you can give me.

    Jim

    "Gary Tsang" wrote:

    > Are you using static ips, or are you using DHCP?
    >
    > The MS routers hardcode a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
    > This would yield a network of up to 254 devices (then subtract one for the
    > router itself).
    >
    > If your subnet mask is not set properly, it would support a network of more
    > computers than 254 devices, and MSBBN will probably throw an error similiar
    > to what you are seeing.
    >
    > Goto your command prompt and type ipconfig /all
    > Paste the whole output to a message and let's see what is happening.
    >

    > --
    > Gary Tsang
    > Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    > http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >

    > "imerc" <imerc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I'm running MS Broadband networking on a small home network with Win98
    > > PC's.
    > >
    > > Sometimes when I open up the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility, the
    > > "Network Devices" pane (which should show the names of the other PC's on
    > > my
    > > LAN) says
    > > "Network too large to discover and display all devices". It's not a large
    > > network at all. What does that message mean?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Jim

    A subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 will allow for a network of up to 256*256*256
    computers ~ a 16 million device network.

    Are you sure that's what your router is serving out? All MS routers are
    hardcoded to a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (a network with 256 devices
    (minus the obligatory network, broadcast and router ips))

    Goto your command prompt, and type "ipconfig /release", then type "ipconfig
    /renew"

    --

    > Gary, thanks for your post.
    >
    > I think that my LAN using DHCP rather than static ip addresses.
    >
    > When I type ipconfig /all, I get this:
    >

    > Windows 98 IP Configuration
    >

    > Host Name . . . . . . . . . : DAD
    >
    > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    >
    > Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    >
    > NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
    >
    > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
    >
    > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
    >
    > NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No
    >

    > 0 Ethernet adapter :
    >

    > Description . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-based Integrated Fast Ethernet
    >
    > Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-06-29-2E-68-E5
    >
    > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    >
    > IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.38
    >
    > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    >
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    >
    > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    >
    > Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    >
    > Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    >
    > Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 07 19 05 10:33:24 PM
    >
    > Lease Expires . . . . . . . :
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can give me.
    >
    > Jim
    >

    > "Gary Tsang" wrote:
    >
    >> Are you using static ips, or are you using DHCP?
    >>
    >> The MS routers hardcode a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.
    >> This would yield a network of up to 254 devices (then subtract one for
    >> the
    >> router itself).
    >>
    >> If your subnet mask is not set properly, it would support a network of
    >> more
    >> computers than 254 devices, and MSBBN will probably throw an error
    >> similiar
    >> to what you are seeing.
    >>
    >> Goto your command prompt and type ipconfig /all
    >> Paste the whole output to a message and let's see what is happening.
    >>

    >> --
    >> Gary Tsang
    >> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >>

    >> "imerc" <imerc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I'm running MS Broadband networking on a small home network with Win98
    >> > PC's.
    >> >
    >> > Sometimes when I open up the Microsoft Broadband Network Utility, the
    >> > "Network Devices" pane (which should show the names of the other PC's
    >> > on
    >> > my
    >> > LAN) says
    >> > "Network too large to discover and display all devices". It's not a
    >> > large
    >> > network at all. What does that message mean?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks, Jim

    Gary that worked perfectly, I'm now getting a correct listing of the other
    PC's on my LAN. Thanks very much.

    Jim

    Glad it is working for you now.

    --

    > Gary that worked perfectly, I'm now getting a correct listing of the other
    > PC's on my LAN. Thanks very much.
    >
    > Jim
    >
    > "Gary Tsang" wrote:
    >
    >> A subnet mask of 255.0.0.0 will allow for a network of up to 256*256*256
    >> computers ~ a 16 million device network.
    >>
    >> Are you sure that's what your router is serving out? All MS routers are
    >> hardcoded to a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 (a network with 256 devices
    >> (minus the obligatory network, broadcast and router ips))
    >>
    >> Goto your command prompt, and type "ipconfig /release", then type
    >> "ipconfig
    >> /renew"
    >>
    >> --
    >> Gary Tsang
    >> Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/mvp
    >>

    >> "imerc" <imerc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Gary, thanks for your post.
    >> >
    >> > I think that my LAN using DHCP rather than static ip addresses.
    >> >
    >> > When I type ipconfig /all, I get this:
    >> >

    >> > Windows 98 IP Configuration
    >> >

    >> > Host Name . . . . . . . . . : DAD
    >> >
    >> > DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    >> >
    >> > Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
    >> >
    >> > NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . :
    >> >
    >> > IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
    >> >
    >> > WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
    >> >
    >> > NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : No
    >> >

    >> > 0 Ethernet adapter :
    >> >

    >> > Description . . . . . . . . : Intel 8255x-based Integrated Fast
    >> > Ethernet
    >> >
    >> > Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-06-29-2E-68-E5
    >> >
    >> > DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
    >> >
    >> > IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.38
    >> >
    >> > Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    >> >
    >> > Default Gateway . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    >> >
    >> > DHCP Server . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
    >> >
    >> > Primary WINS Server . . . . :
    >> >
    >> > Secondary WINS Server . . . :
    >> >
    >> > Lease Obtained. . . . . . . : 07 19 05 10:33:24 PM
    >> >
    >> > Lease Expires . . . . . . . :
    >> >
    >> > Thanks for any help you can give me.
    >> >
    >> > Jim

Routers Broadband Microsoft Devices Networking Displays