Msinfo32.exe ???

when I go to start - run and type in Msinfo32.exe and hit ok instead of
opening system information, it opens Help & Support. Same thing happens when
I go to system tools and try to open system information, all I get is Help &
Support. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? Thanks for your time and
knowledge on this problem.
10 answers Last reply
More about msinfo32

    The index.dat file may be missing from >>
    C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache

    First. Set Hidden files and folders to display.

    Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
    Check:
    ? Display the contents of system folders
    ? Show hidden files and folders
    UNCheck:
    ? Hide protected operating system files
    Apply | OK

    [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
    typical items.]]

    Second. Paste this in the Start | Run box...

    C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache

    Click OK.

    Look for a file called index.dat. Is one there?

    If not, copy it from a friend's machine and paste or move it to...

    C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache

    My index.dat is 85 KB.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:F33FACF3-6323-4276-90B9-F7DD20AE2316@microsoft.com,
    jct883 <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > when I go to start - run and type in Msinfo32.exe and hit ok instead of
    > opening system information, it opens Help & Support. Same thing happens
    > when I go to system tools and try to open system information, all I get
    > is Help & Support. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? Thanks for
    > your time and knowledge on this problem.

    Some have claimed this is the result of a certain dat file being deleted
    (usually by running some type of 'cleaner') and can be repaired by using
    this fix from Doug Knox:
    http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm

    "jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > when I go to start - run and type in Msinfo32.exe and hit ok instead of
    > opening system information, it opens Help & Support. Same thing happens
    > when
    > I go to system tools and try to open system information, all I get is Help
    > &
    > Support. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? Thanks for your time and
    > knowledge on this problem.

    My problem is not trying to restore the settings for Help & Support. I need
    to get system information to open instead of help & support. I tried what it
    said to do .Down loaded file ,ran it and it still opened Help & support. Is
    there a path or target file that I need to change or check? I'm lost being a
    newbie, but I'm trying to learn. Thanks again

    "John E. Carty" wrote:

    > Some have claimed this is the result of a certain dat file being deleted
    > (usually by running some type of 'cleaner') and can be repaired by using
    > this fix from Doug Knox:
    > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm
    >
    > "jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > when I go to start - run and type in Msinfo32.exe and hit ok instead of
    > > opening system information, it opens Help & Support. Same thing happens
    > > when
    > > I go to system tools and try to open system information, all I get is Help
    > > &
    > > Support. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? Thanks for your time and
    > > knowledge on this problem.

    This is a problem which has been around for a long time and with no real
    resolve. Many have had to perform a repair install to fix this issue :-)

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341

    > My problem is not trying to restore the settings for Help & Support. I
    > need
    > to get system information to open instead of help & support. I tried what
    > it
    > said to do .Down loaded file ,ran it and it still opened Help & support.
    > Is
    > there a path or target file that I need to change or check? I'm lost being
    > newbie, but I'm trying to learn. Thanks again
    >
    > "John E. Carty" wrote:
    >
    >> Some have claimed this is the result of a certain dat file being deleted
    >> (usually by running some type of 'cleaner') and can be repaired by using
    >> this fix from Doug Knox:
    >> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm
    >>
    >> "jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > when I go to start - run and type in Msinfo32.exe and hit ok instead of
    >> > opening system information, it opens Help & Support. Same thing happens
    >> > when
    >> > I go to system tools and try to open system information, all I get is
    >> > Help
    >> > &
    >> > Support. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? Thanks for your time
    >> > and
    >> > knowledge on this problem.

    Horse hockey!

    Read my other post in this thread.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2rD9e.973$l45.835@newssvr12.news.prodigy.com,
    John E. Carty <jecarty@NOSPAMsbcglobal.net> hunted and pecked:
    > This is a problem which has been around for a long time and with no real
    > resolve. Many have had to perform a repair install to fix this issue :-)
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341
    >

    > "jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> My problem is not trying to restore the settings for Help & Support. I
    >> need
    >> to get system information to open instead of help & support. I tried what
    >> it
    >> said to do .Down loaded file ,ran it and it still opened Help & support.
    >> Is
    >> there a path or target file that I need to change or check? I'm lost
    >> being a
    >> newbie, but I'm trying to learn. Thanks again
    >>
    >> "John E. Carty" wrote:
    >>
    >>> Some have claimed this is the result of a certain dat file being deleted
    >>> (usually by running some type of 'cleaner') and can be repaired by using
    >>> this fix from Doug Knox:
    >>> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/fixwinxphelp.htm
    >>>
    >>> "jct883" <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Did as you said , no index.dat file in PCHEALTH folder. I don't know anyone
    with windoxs xp pro on their computer. I am disabled and don't get out much.
    Is there anywhere on the internet to download this file, or will a copy from
    windows ME work? Thanks again for your help.

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > The index.dat file may be missing from >>
    > C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache
    >
    > First. Set Hidden files and folders to display.
    >
    > Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
    > Check:
    > Â? Display the contents of system folders
    > Â? Show hidden files and folders
    > UNCheck:
    > Â? Hide protected operating system files
    > Apply | OK
    >
    > [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
    > typical items.]]
    >
    > Second. Paste this in the Start | Run box...
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache
    >
    > Click OK.
    >
    > Look for a file called index.dat. Is one there?
    >
    > If not, copy it from a friend's machine and paste or move it to...
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache
    >
    > My index.dat is 85 KB.
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:F33FACF3-6323-4276-90B9-F7DD20AE2316@microsoft.com,
    > jct883 <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > when I go to start - run and type in Msinfo32.exe and hit ok instead of
    > > opening system information, it opens Help & Support. Same thing happens
    > > when I go to system tools and try to open system information, all I get
    > > is Help & Support. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? Thanks for
    > > your time and knowledge on this problem.

    might simply try making a shortcut
    "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\MSInfo\msinfo32.exe"
    /categories +all -loadedmodules
    had the problem here of msinfo32 not running from the run command and
    not being able to search & find it until I made a shortcut and ran it - now
    all is fine.

    alternatively ;
    might try installing the inf
    C:\WINDOWS\inf\msinfo32.inf

    Remove the 123 from my E-mail address and E-mail me. I'll send a copy of
    the file to you.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:9B5E7188-A58E-4A08-8F9F-B3B8B47B5D90@microsoft.com,
    jct883 <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Did as you said , no index.dat file in PCHEALTH folder. I don't know
    > anyone with windoxs xp pro on their computer. I am disabled and don't get
    > out much. Is there anywhere on the internet to download this file, or
    > will a copy from windows ME work? Thanks again for your help.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> The index.dat file may be missing from >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache
    >>
    >> First. Set Hidden files and folders to display.
    >>
    >> Start | Settings | Control Panel | Folder Options | View tab
    >> Check:
    >> Â? Display the contents of system folders
    >> Â? Show hidden files and folders
    >> UNCheck:
    >> Â? Hide protected operating system files
    >> Apply | OK
    >>
    >> [[Hidden files and folders will appear dimmed to indicate they are not
    >> typical items.]]
    >>
    >> Second. Paste this in the Start | Run box...
    >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache
    >>
    >> Click OK.
    >>
    >> Look for a file called index.dat. Is one there?
    >>
    >> If not, copy it from a friend's machine and paste or move it to...
    >>
    >> C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\OfflineCache
    >>
    >> My index.dat is 85 KB.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:F33FACF3-6323-4276-90B9-F7DD20AE2316@microsoft.com,
    >> jct883 <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> when I go to start - run and type in Msinfo32.exe and hit ok instead of
    >>> opening system information, it opens Help & Support. Same thing happens
    >>> when I go to system tools and try to open system information, all I get
    >>> is Help & Support. Can anyone tell me how to correct this? Thanks for
    >>> your time and knowledge on this problem.

    I sent you an email as instructed. Hope you can tell which one is mine. It
    starts jtorrie. Thanks for the file, I hope it cures the problem.

    I did send it, John.

    Let us know what happens. :-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:8369896E-7D83-49BF-A170-517DA70D7C11@microsoft.com,
    jct883 <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > I sent you an email as instructed. Hope you can tell which one is mine. It
    > starts jtorrie. Thanks for the file, I hope it cures the problem.
    >
    > "Wesley Vogel" wrote:
    >
    >> Remove the 123 from my E-mail address and E-mail me. I'll send a copy of
    >> the file to you.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:9B5E7188-A58E-4A08-8F9F-B3B8B47B5D90@microsoft.com,
    >> jct883 <jct883@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Did as you said , no index.dat file in PCHEALTH folder. I don't know
    >>> anyone with windoxs xp pro on their computer. I am disabled and don't
    >>> get out much. Is there anywhere on the internet to download this file,
    >>> or will a copy from windows ME work? Thanks again for your help.

Support Microsoft Windows XP