Sapphire 9200 goes bad

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I didn't know how to search for this problem. I hope all you punters will overlook that if this question has already been posed & answered.
I have a Sapphire Radfeon 9200 card in my Dell XPS-T 700R. I bought it on 24 Jan 04 and had it installed within the week. Just today (17 April 04) the video has begun to act goofy. The mouse will leave shadow trails when it's moved to the left (not to the right strangely enough). The screen looks like the vertical refresh is off by two or three rows. The picture looks like it's gone from 1028 res down to 72. There are vertical bars on the screen, a box appears around the cursor, and it's basically unviewable after a few mouse moves. I installed the latest drivers from ATI, reduced the refresh from 85 Hz to 75 Hz, and ran the XP trouble shooter. Nothing works. This "pixellation" begins after the Pc has been on for about five minutes. Suggestions?

Dell XPS-T 700R w/ Powerleap 1.4GHz Celeron
512 MB RAM
40 GB HD (10 + 30)
Sapphire Atlantis 9200 Radeon
Logitech optical corded mouse

I know enuff to be dangerous. :tongue:

cryo

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
This "pixellation" begins after the Pc has been on for about five minutes.

Smells like temperature problems to me. Check both your CPU and video card fans for problems.

"I cannot give you a brain, but I can give you a diploma"
- The Wizard of Oz, talking to the Scarecrow

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I know the CPU fans are going. My Pc sounds like a bloody Hoover. I know this sounds silly, but would a GPU fan go bad this soon?

I know enuff to be dangerous. :tongue: